Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 PM

38,864 posts, read 22,849,388 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever tried Australian candy bars? One I like in particular is Cherry Ripe, which is a dark chocolate bar with coconut and cherries as the filling. Wonderful combination of flavors! They used to be sold commercially here in the U.S. back in the mid 80s but not can only be ordered online. Here's a link to what it looks like:

Cherry Ripe Bar. Out of Stock

I agree with many who have written that American chocolate tastes bland compared with European chocolate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM

47 posts, read 106,567 times
I'm eating a chocolate covered marshmallow Santa Clause.
I just pulled him out of the freezer.

It's funny how the old dark chocolate covered marshmallow twists are no longer available. They have allot of soft chew junk now, none of that real old fashioned hard candy left on the shelves these days. Who got this soft candy trend going? How can soft candies be taking over the consumer market?

There was a little place called The General Store on L.I. When I was living there they sold a big chocolate covered mollasses bar. Wow, tastes so good and it was hard and chewy!

John"s candy store right downstairs from Grandma's apartment in Greenwhich Village had a glass case filled with candies that weren't even wrapped up in paper and they were the best. His chocolate covered carmel was as hard as a rock, and it took some workin' on it to finish it.

The Russel Stover mint dream is under rated, even though it is soft and creamy mint flavored marshmallow inside it is still a wonderful experience.
The Santa Clause can stand improvement!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Over Rated... Mars, Three Musketeer, Dove, Skore, Snickers

Under Rated.... Rocher, Toblerone, Cadberry, Godiva, Lindt

Old 09-15-2008, 01:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Overrated: Mars, 3 Musketeers, M&Ms (I mean, really...that is a boring candy that's way too sweet), Butterfinger, dark chocolate, European chocolate

Underrated: Mr Goodbar (simple but delish), the original peanut butter Twix, and a Kit Kat is always good

Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 25,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Does anyone remember the Milkshake candybar? I used to love those.

Personally, I think the Reese's "Fastbreak" candy bar is absolutely heavenly. They are a little hard to find, though.

Over rated? I was once given a box of Godiva chocolates. They were pretty, but I would have been happier with a box of Whitmans.

Whitmans over Godiva? That's like choosing folders over seatles best.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 25,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Overrated: Mars, 3 Musketeers, M&Ms (I mean, really...that is a boring candy that's way too sweet), Butterfinger, dark chocolate, European chocolate

Underrated: Mr Goodbar (simple but delish), the original peanut butter Twix, and a Kit Kat is always good
Twix and kit kat, nasty. M&Ms are wonderful.. Love the simplicity. I love dark chocolate. Butterfingers can be addictive but always makes me sick. I love European chocolate.. The quality is great, less sugar if it's a gormet brand.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Over: Hershey's chocolate bar, any variety. Hershey's chocolate smells and tastes like spoilt milk to me. Or vomit.

Under: Payday. Those with peanut allergies need not apply. This is simplicity personified.... rich, sweet caramel nougat covered with salty peanuts. Yin and yang.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Has anyone ever tried Australian candy bars?
Yep... Velvet Crumble is my favorite.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I can't think of something overrated. I like Heath and Skor.

For underrated, I'd go with PayDay and Zero.

Oh, I suppose I can add this--I have a hard time with any kind of chocolate covered bar--I live in Florida. Unless it's winter, they melt far too easily, and then you have to toss them in the freezer to have any hope of eating your chocolate.

M&Ms CAN melt in your hand, not the chocolate inside, but that hard candy shell can give your fingers a rainbow look.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
Hershey's is definately overrated. It tastes so waxy and cheap to me.

Aero bar (I think it's from Britian) is wonderful. They sell it in the international food section in our local grocery store. European chocolate seems so much better, not sure why, but it's awfully good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink