Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
I forgot about the green bean casserole and cranberry. I like to use French frozen green beans and add some allspice, five spice or Cinnamon to the m shroom soup but just a hint. I also add some fresh mushrooms.

I'm going to cheat on cranberry and use canned, add some orange zest, mandarin oranges and a dash of rum
The fresh ones take about 10 minutes to cook and you can do it a day or two in advance (unless your family will eat it all too soon like mine would)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 12:49 PM

78 posts, read 77,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm outta here about ten days before Thanksgiving. I've done nearly every one for almost fifty years and have been asking for about ten years for someone else to do the entertaining with no results.

Problem is the four of us is all there is. And daughter works as a chef so is usually tied up right up until the meal. I don't think bachelor son even has a kitchen table or a big enough oven! Cousins are scattered all over the globe, last generation is all gone and the kids' aunts and uncles still have their own celebrations.

Actually I love to cook but it's a woman-killer of a meal, massive prep and cleanup and I've always detested getting up and first thing wrestling with a cold, slimy bird.

DH and DD talk of deep frying. Maybe without me around they'll do it this year.

OP, sounds like you may be a bit indifferent to veggies. My family insists we have pretty much the same thing every year with each different thing someone's favorite. My son has to have his carrot casserole. It's sliced, creamed carrots layered with cheese and crispy onion rings. No calories there!

And DH's cousin's homemade oatmeal buns are a must have. (Just thinking about it all makes me tired.)

Have you considered roasted root veggies in place of the sweet potatoes? Or maybe you'd prefer a salad. Mixed greens, thinly sliced red pears or craisins and pecans make a pretty fall salad.
Last year I did entire traditional, seemed like I had too many carbs left over, going to keep it down to two this year. more low fat this year but lots of flavor adding more twists. but then again, I may change my mind again.

I personally enjoy the long process. I like the homey smell of turkey wafting from the oven, preparation and all the scents. Its comforting to me. I love taking on all the chore for holiday feasts while everyone else relaxes. Lol

Old 10-09-2015, 12:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
A few years back - around the time my daughter started on solids, we started making a large casserole of homemade baked mac n cheese. My thought at the time was it was easy to pre-prepare thing that the kids would love. I generally double or triple this recipe....

Mom's Favorite Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I don't do new or exotic recipes at Thanksgiving.

I've been doing the meal for 20+ years for a pretty good sized crowd, started back when I was first married and my husband was a platoon sgt in the Marines and would bring any of his men who were unmarried or not travelling home.

I feel like new recipes would add another level of stress for me. We seem to end up with recent immigrants - I like to invite people who haven't had a chance to have an American Thanksgiving since I feel like it's one of the few things that we have of our own.

One year , my Australian friend asked that I prepare the green bean casserole in the "authentic" way with soup, and canned friend onions and not fancy it up.....
I use that mac and cheese recipe too, but when I double it, it ends up super-greasy. Does that happen to you?

Old 10-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not digging the idea of oyster stuffing with coconut cream mashed potatoes. I admire your creativity, but this just doesn't sound good on the same plate. (But note that I love raw oysters, less so when they are cooked.)
Lol. Yeah its not for everybody's palate but I think it works OK. The coconut milk is not sweet, it just imparts a richer slightly nutty flavor to the potatoes and along with the savory gravy, I like the contrast.
I'm going the islandy, fresh, kind of exotic twist with a traditional elements. I'll be using lots of sage. I love sage. I was thinking of using fresh basil too, probably would go well with stuffing with oysters. I think the stuffing and potatoes would pair okay.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
For us it is all about family time, whatever food shows up is great.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The fresh ones take about 10 minutes to cook and you can do it a day or two in advance (unless your family will eat it all too soon like mine would)
I might try that for that crunchy freshness

Old 10-09-2015, 01:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
This will be my first non-veg'n Thanksgiving in 26 years, so I'm going all out. Huge turkey, sausage stuffing, bacon-wrapped everything.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:32 PM

I have heard the tip of draping turkey with bacon, that it remains moist and don't need basting.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:56 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I use that mac and cheese recipe too, but when I double it, it ends up super-greasy. Does that happen to you?
Hmm, no - I do use 2% milk since that's what we drink around here. And I don't use Kraft cheese, tnd to but Tilamonk Sharp for cooking/baking. Once I bought Walmart's store brand- ugh, that was the worst plastic-y cheese ever....

Old 10-09-2015, 02:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
This will be my first non-veg'n Thanksgiving in 26 years, so I'm going all out. Huge turkey, sausage stuffing, bacon-wrapped everything.
Something like this?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink