Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

I'll eat just about anything that looks like cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
The last 20 years or so, I've heard so many fruitcake jokes I can't believe it. I grew up eating it & most people in our town in eastern NC liked it. People gave it as gifts and we all ate it. I know a lot of people must still eat it or Claxton would have gone bankrupt years ago.

How many like me are out there? Do you joke about it in public and eat it in secret? Do you really dislike it? Have you ever tried it?
Being from NC, surely you know about these guys:

Southern Supreme Gourmet Specialties

Not a fan of most fruitcake, but this is REALLY good. Mostly nuts and cake, and only a token "toxic fruit" strictly to live up to the namesake.

From durham, it's not a far drive, but the place is packed every day during the holidays!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:08 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post

Not a fan of most fruitcake, but this is REALLY good. Mostly nuts and cake, and only a token "toxic fruit" strictly to live up to the namesake.

From durham, it's not a far drive, but the place is packed every day during the holidays!
Somehow missed them. I'll have to check them out.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
I've never had a commercially produced fruitcake that I liked...however my mother had a recipe for fruitcake that she made the day after Thanksgiving every year that I love. It wouldn't be the holidays without it!

After she passed away several years back I started to make it myself.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I don't like the typical fruit cake, but the one in the photo above looks excellent!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post

I was trying to remember that name as I read this thread. That fruitcake is terrific! My Mom's friend used to make a cake very much like that.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I love fruitcake, but good, homemade ones with lots of dried fruit and nuts; don't like the ones with candied fruit, citron, etc. Yuck. I need to find a good fruitcake recipe ... preferably one that calls for the liberal use of bourbon.

One year I was on a judging panel at the holiday county fair, and one of the contest divisions was "fruitcake." We had to sample some nasty stuff! But some were really good. Wish I still had those recipes.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
Yukky stuff!!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 AM

878 posts, read 2,738,061 times
I am from Jamaica and fruit cake is a must at Christmas but it is moist as we soak the fruits for one year in red wine. And not those artificial fruits that are green and yellow, it is mostly raisins. Then we bake the cakes in early December and soak them with wine or rum every day so they are really potent and super moist by Christmas...yummy!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 AM

130 posts, read 282,595 times
Watching television last night and heard a fact thing on fruitcake.
A family called the Blakes, (if I am remembering it correctly) passed a fruit cake throughout the family for about two hundred years, (the same one).
I like fruit cake with the real stuff, none of that imitation garbage they try and pass off as fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink