Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Wow!! Look at us!! It's been 8 months smoke-free for me!! I don't know about you guys but it's been tuff for me. I still crave a cigarette now and again. Yikes!!
Ain't no stopping us now! I still get carvings but like somebody said do not give into them. I can be around smokers it doesn't bother me what triggers me is a car with open windows passing my car and getting a big whiff. But that urge passes as quickly as the car did usually.

MTHare you still hanging in there with us non smokers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
Just received the wonderful news that my coworker who was injured on the job Monday night is doing better than expected! That takes quite a load off my mind! So...was going to fix tacos today, but found out we are having a "taco party" at work tomorrow night. That changed todays menu to, hmmmm, enchiladas? Santa Fe style, of course! By the way, when you are all on your road trip don't forget to stop by here....I will have gallons of salsa waiting on you!
What is Sante Fe style as opposed to whatever style served at mexican restaurants please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Apparently a universal force is gently whispering sweet taco nothings in my ears...for some strange reason the universe sounds like Antonio Banderas

tortilla .... tacqueria ... salsa caliente.. my my my.
Oh man I want to hear what you are hearing he is a hottie for sure!

YLisa it is partly lack of sunshine and warm/hot temps that the tomatoes need to ripen. You aren't the only one waiting on tomatoes to turn red. I think it is about 50 days or so under normal weather conditions. You better be ready with the canner when they do come on. That or else put a tomato stand at the end of your driveway girlie!

skbs thank you for that fantastic cheer you got my blood pumping knowing so many here are proud of us when we accomplish something!

NMS some days I think my house & yard has a lightning rod hooked directly to my computer. We have gotten 4 hits on our computers from it even on surge protectors. We have to physically shut down and unplug the power and phone line.

satx I had visions last night of the RV having smoke rolling out the door like from an old Cheech & Chong movie Up In Smoke. Only upon closer examination it was coming from the pork being smoked. A little adjustment from Nomad and we were on the road again.

Hi foodies~~~trying to decide if we want to go school clothes shopping or have a whole day here at home. If I was the only one deciding I would pick staying home but I think I am going to get out voted right quick.

Tonight's supper is up in the air until we decide what we are doing about shopping.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Its been almost 20 years since I quit smoking and every once in a rare while.....I will have an urge....but more frequently I will get a whiff of someones smoke and my stomach will flip and I will get light headed and feel sick.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I actually try to make myself feel sick when I smell cigarette smoke but so far it hasn't worked. It still smells pretty good to me.

Jaxson I agree about in the car and getting that passing whiff--but I have worked to darn hard and through some really bad times so there is no turning back for me. I can have all the urges I want but that is where it stops.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
I think we are taking the leftover shredded chicken and refried beans and making nachos/tostadas/taco salad.......something of the like.

Don't forget to make a stop in CO. I want to come!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I'm very proud of you ladies...I know it is a rough road to travel but worth it for so many reasons. I would imagine by now there would be a refreshing of the taste buds any you are enjoying meals more. My friend and neighbor across the street from me has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He is almost a month younger. It looks like they found it late in the cycle and the out come will be terminal. Sad is all I can say other than what a price to pay like my dad did....After decades we now can go out to dinner here and not worry about sitting under a vent blowing smoke down on us from across the room. We venture out every month or so for BBQ and now the ribs are smoked instead of us.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I am proud of us too Nomad! I know, at least for me, the people here and their constant encouragement really helped. Also as others joined in the no smoking it was like we had friends to quit with!! They say is is much easier to quit with another person--we did!! Plus we had a whole group of caring people cheering us on. Who could ask for more? Boy are we lucky!
I think I'm giving up on working today--I am having to much fun here. Okay, I'll do a little more work---jeeshhhh...

Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Jaxson and Cyn....We Are So Proud of Your Accomplishment! Way to go!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I am proud of us too Nomad! I know, at least for me, the people here and their constant encouragement really helped. Also as others joined in the no smoking it was like we had friends to quit with!! They say is is much easier to quit with another person--we did!! Plus we had a whole group of caring people cheering us on. Who could ask for more? Boy are we lucky!
I think I'm giving up on working today--I am having to much fun here. Okay, I'll do a little more work---jeeshhhh...
I know, for me, that was the deciding factor when I saw how many here around the table supported you with encouragement. Plus that visual of skbs in her cheerleader outfit rooting us all on I knew I couldn't be the one to make her drop the pom poms. Getting daily encouragement or even weekly was the crowning jewel for sure. When quitting you almost have to have that rooting section to be vocal to get you over a hump. When I saw others joining you cyn I knew it was the time for me to stop. My kids rooted me on but for some reason that didn't give me the satisfaction as reading all the posts here did. Odd strangers were more of a reason than my kids but I think I didn't want to lose any of your friendships from my failing. My kids will still love me if I fail or fly you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Jaxson and Cyn....We Are So Proud of Your Accomplishment! Way to go!
Thank you I didn't think I would ever be so proud of saying "I'm a quitter" at anything in life. We are programmed to be winners ya know.

Nomad prayers for your neighbor but I can so understand their addictions. I don't want to lug around an oxygen tank, might have to some day down the road but not now. Yeah!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

Thank you I didn't think I would ever be so proud of saying "I'm a quitter" at anything in life. We are programmed to be winners ya know.

This morning I got on the scale and yelled out "I'm a loser!"

DH got concerned and came in the room with his best supportive smile and said "Don't say that! you're not!"

Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,104 times
Tonights dinner is Open Turkey sandwish with mash potatoes and corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.