Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Kroger's brand products can be be found out west at Fred Meyer, and Seattle's QFC. Kroger took over these formerly local chains a number of years back.
Similarly, there is Fry's Food (or simply Fry's) in Arizona, owned by Kroger.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:41 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I prefer Safeway. Not only do I like the store better for their selection vs Publix. Safeway does not control the grocery industry in certain areas. I don't like the way Publix dominates the grocery business in Florida. It is a monopoly in Florida. It is also a very expensive store in Florida, a state with a large number of lower income residents.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,989 times
While I’ve heard their stores can vary greatly, the Safeway’s I’ve visited in the Mid-Atlantic haven’t been anything special. Just your standard grocery chain. Pretty generic shopping experience. I’m not sure this is a fair comparison. Publix is more of a higher end regional chain with more quality selection and a loyally trusted brand. Their customer service is exceptional. They also have a superior prepared foods selection.

I think Publix vs. Wegmans would be a more worthy competition. I actually made a thread on this subject a few years ago if I may shamelessly plug it here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...vs-publix.html

Old 02-19-2021, 06:42 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I prefer Safeway. Not only do I like the store better for their selection vs Publix. Safeway does not control the grocery industry in certain areas. I don't like the way Publix dominates the grocery business in Florida. It is a monopoly in Florida. It is also a very expensive store in Florida, a state with a large number of lower income residents.
I disagree.

Not that I'm interested in shopping in-store right now, but I have the following supermarkets within 2 miles of my house:

Publix
Winn-Dixie
Fresco y Mas
Milam's
Fresh Market
Sedano's
Presidente Supermarket
Gordon Food Service (GFS)

There's also two year-round farmers' markets within that same 2-mile radius.

Going out 3-4 miles from my house get's me to both a Whole Foods Market in downtown Miami and a new Trader Joe's that will be opening shortly in Coral Gables. (I'm about equidistant between the two.), as well as a Target that opened last year.

So having a choice of 10 other supermarkets in close proximity to shop at in addition to Publix doesn't exactly scream monopoly to me.

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 02-19-2021 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I disagree.

Not that I'm interested in shopping in-store right now, but I have the following supermarkets within 2 miles of my house:

Publix
Winn-Dixie
Fresco y Mas
Milam's
Fresh Market
Sedano's
Presidente Supermarket
Gordon Food Service (GFS)

There's also two year-round farmers' markets within that same 2-mile radius.

Going out 3-4 miles from my house get's me to both a Whole Foods Market in downtown Miami and a new Trader Joe's that will be opening shortly in Coral Gables. (I'm about equidistant between the two.), as well as a Target that opened last year.

So having a choice of 10 other supermarkets in close proximity to shop at in addition to Publix doesn't exactly scream monopoly to me.
We don't all live where you do, and dont have access to anything but multiple publixs and Walmart's. Your in So Fla in a very big state that doesn't have what you have. Much of Fla is dominated by Publix. I think you know that.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:34 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Safeway seems a little more upscale, although Publix gets points for Nellie and Joe’s key lime juice. Anyway, Safeway pays attention to keeping items stocked and the stores I’ve been to are clean. Publix is large enough for a good selection of products, and their stores are all over FL, but it would be good to see more grocery store chains.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:50 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Safeway has a decent meat selection and pricing. But their produce, they will leave it out WELL past the point where it should have been tossed.

Never been to Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink