Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you usually buy?
Name brands 16 17.78%
Store brands 3 3.33%
Whichever is on sale/the cheapest 17 18.89%
Depends on the item 54 60.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times

Advertisements

It depends. Ketchup has to be Heinz and mayonnaise has to be Hellmann's/Best. I prefer Bumble Bee tuna. There is only one pickle I really like, so I buy just that brand.

Other things, such as bread, cheese, etc., I am less picky about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I hope you know that most grocery store pet foods , even and especially the name brands are junk. So many grains and fillers and not much real meat. One cat is on RX I get from the vet and the other cat and 2 dogs get top quality grain free foods from our local specialty pet food store. I've found paying more for quality pet food saves me money on vet bills.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
I bought some Kroger brand semi-sweet chocolate chips because they were $1 cheaper per package than Toll House. The package even stated, "Real semi-sweet chocolate."

I only wish I would have tasted them before I made a double batch of cookies. They tasted like artificial chocolate, and didn't even melt like regular Toll House chips. The cookies were so bad that I had to throw them out. So the $1 I saved really cost me because I wasted the butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, etc.

Kroger has a money back guarantee on their store brands, and these were so bad that I returned them to the store. The cashier at the customer service desk told me that they get a lot of returns on their kroger brand products.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I almost always buy name brand. I have seen the quality isn't nearly as good with store name brands. Try eating one of the name brand peanut butters and a store brand and you will know what I mean.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I almost always buy name brand. I have seen the quality isn't nearly as good with store name brands. Try eating one of the name brand peanut butters and a store brand and you will know what I mean.
Store brand PB is probably the one worst items I've tried. The only thing I use it for is to hide the dogs pills in. The name brand stuff he can lick right off and spit a pill out while eating the PB. That store brand stuff is so dry, he can't get it down without swallowing the pill too.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
Usually store brand but I'll buy whatever's on sale.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 AM

166 posts, read 194,556 times
Here in NJ, we have coupons and they are mostly doubled or sometimes tripled. I dont want to say that I should be on the show Hoarders but I do stock up CHEAP for the name brands.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:51 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
I thought of this thread when I bought Kroger brand "Zips" crackers today to use in a recipe. They are supposed to be like Ritz crackers but were a definite fail. After tasting a few I decided not to use them in my recipe but went back to the store to get a box of Ritz.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I thought of this thread when I bought Kroger brand "Zips" crackers today to use in a recipe. They are supposed to be like Ritz crackers but were a definite fail. After tasting a few I decided not to use them in my recipe but went back to the store to get a box of Ritz.
I had this same problem last Christmas when I was trying to make my annual batches of Chex Mix. The store was actually out of some of the real Chex, so I opted for the store brand. They definitely didn't taste as good the real thing, but I thought by the time I added all the seasonings, it would be fine. It came out horrible. The cereal didn't stay crisp when I cooked it. It absorbed all the butter and other liquid and just got soggy. No one in the house would eat it. I ended up throwing away the Mix and all the cereal still in the boxes.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I buy CHEAP as long as the quality is acceptable.

Walmart's "Great Value" line is actually pretty good. The instant coffee is just as good or better than Foldgers. Now the CD-elite/upper crust/yuppies can chime in about how horrible instant is....go to ****.....I like instant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink