Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you usually buy?
Name brands 16 17.78%
Store brands 3 3.33%
Whichever is on sale/the cheapest 17 18.89%
Depends on the item 54 60.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times

Advertisements

Nowadays, many food manufacturers are using contract manufacturers to produce their products. So there is a very good possibility that the high priced brand name products are made on the same assembly line as the more reasonably priced store branded and private label brands that are often much less.

When I was purchasing food service products for several large institutions, we used to do a lot of "can cuttings." A can cutting is where you open up cans of several brands of the same commodity. You compare the various brands to ensure that 1) the product meets the specifications of the proposal, 2) which of the products is more free of defects, and 3) which product tastes the best. Usually, this is done in a blind test so that you do not know the supplier.

I have done similar product testings with some of my friends. We have been very impressed with a lot of the products at Aldi. Kroger branded products have also done pretty well.

SO often, when you do a blind test, the person doing the tasting is confident that they can tell the difference. But often, they do not.

With Ketchup, the real determinate of a good product is NOT the brand but the density of tomato solids in the ketchup. And most producers have several grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Store brand PB is probably the one worst items I've tried. The only thing I use it for is to hide the dogs pills in. The name brand stuff he can lick right off and spit a pill out while eating the PB. That store brand stuff is so dry, he can't get it down without swallowing the pill too.
I think Great Value PB may be the same as Peter Pan PB. I remember a few years ago when there was a recall, and both of these brands were recalled at the same time.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I buy CHEAP as long as the quality is acceptable.

Walmart's "Great Value" instant coffee is just as good or better than Folgers. Now the CD-elite/upper crust/yuppies can chime in about how horrible instant is....go to ****.....I like instant.
Wow, you're taking your bean choice very seriously, Tickyul.

Many will agree with you on instant. Actually, my mum prefers it. In fact, she makes a pot of it & keeps it in an empty mayo jar on the back of the stove to re-heat when she wants. To her it tastes great. To each her/his own.

One sister, a non-coffee drinker will make drip for guests. She dries used grounds in the microwave & reuses them once & also rinses out the filter & reuses that, too. I never asked if everyone say's 'no' a 2nd time to coffee... haha, but again, as a non-coffee drinker, to her it's good enough & her husband willingly drinks it, so it must taste acceptable to him.

I'm an espresso drinker... the thicker, blacker & stronger, the better. I still keep a jar of instant for guests who want it... no judgment. Drink what makes you happy!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Nowadays, many food manufacturers are using contract manufacturers to produce their products. So there is a very good possibility that the high priced brand name products are made on the same assembly line as the more reasonably priced store branded and private label brands that are often much less.

SO often, when you do a blind test, the person doing the tasting is confident that they can tell the difference. But often, they do not.
Very interesting & I believe what you say, but how does this explain those of us who can taste a difference from brand name to generic in some products... or the difference between many brand name products? Not meaning to toss a spanner into the mix, but don't some just have a more discerning, selective sense of taste than others &... would those who are not in that category be prime candidates for companies to use for taste testings since they wouldn't be apt to distinguish subtle differences in flavor?

Just curious what someone who worked doing this kind of work would think.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
One good example of name brand being superior to store brands is tomato juice. I always purchase a name brand tomato juice that is never reconstituted. All of the store brands I have ever seen are reconstituted. Real juice tastes better. I'll spend an extra fifty cents for the name brand juice I prefer to reconstituted store brands.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
I always compare the ingredient list, before saving the money. Items such as milk and eggs, staples and such there is never any difference and always go with the store brand as it's the cheapest. Other items though, i check the ingredient list for the Sodium and stuff like that. For the most part, the store items are fine, as they have their own bakery, their own deli meats are of good quality.
I don't buy much processed food, and cook from scratch, so i think that makes the whole process easier.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Wow, you're taking your bean choice very seriously, Tickyul.

Many will agree with you on instant. Actually, my mum prefers it. In fact, she makes a pot of it & keeps it in an empty mayo jar on the back of the stove to re-heat when she wants. To her it tastes great. To each her/his own.

One sister, a non-coffee drinker will make drip for guests. She dries used grounds in the microwave & reuses them once & also rinses out the filter & reuses that, too. I never asked if everyone say's 'no' a 2nd time to coffee... haha, but again, as a non-coffee drinker, to her it's good enough & her husband willingly drinks it, so it must taste acceptable to him.

I'm an espresso drinker... the thicker, blacker & stronger, the better. I still keep a jar of instant for guests who want it... no judgment. Drink what makes you happy!

I can hear the sarcasm in your post......eeeewwwww...Tickyul drinks instant and I drink SPRESSO.

Your mom reuses coffee grounds...........LMFAO.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
I usually buy name brand food because that's how I was raised, but I know that sometimes what's sold under a store brand is exactly the same as the name brand because the store buys the name brand's surplus. That's not always the case though and I've had some really bad store brand food so I stick to the name brands.
Pretty much name brands, unless it is a store brand I have tasted. As you noted, sometimes store or generic brands taste really bad. I'm not going to pay to experiment, especially if it is a brand I've never tasted.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I can hear the sarcasm in your post......eeeewwwww...Tickyul drinks instant and I drink SPRESSO.

Your mom reuses coffee grounds...........LMFAO.
No sarcasm on my part, only that which you read into it. Drink what you like, as I said.

You're inaccurate, again & misread... my mum doesn't reuse coffee grounds. But, why would you mock others for their choices when it seems you're so sensitive to your own & a bit insecure with them? I could use the same acronym with your choice of instant, but I'm not judging others when choosing for themselves & further, prefer not to use vulgar language... it's unnecessary.

Oh, dear Tick... I believe you should switch to decaf. Now I'm going to make an espresso... not instant & no reused grounds. Yes, dear Tick, that was sarcasm, albeit true.

Have a good day...

Old 04-05-2014, 08:43 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,520 times
Default national brand or store brand--which would you choose

I noticed that the store brand of parmesan cheese was a dollar less that a national brand(Kraft). I bought the national brand but I wonder if the store brand was just as good. Then why is it cheaper? What would you buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink