Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
So true but sadly a lot of Americans can not spend that much on a product. They need to buy as cheaply as possible to just put food on the table for their families.
A lot of Americans choose to spend ther money on frivolous things instead of quality food. We tend to drive cars we can't afford, consider amenities like cell phones and cable tv "necessities" and then try to save on the food bill. I suppose to each his own, but it has been studied and ascertained that Americans spend less of a percentage of their income on their food than their European counterparts. It's all about quality over quantity in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
When I pop open one of my home canned jars of tomatoes it spells just like when they came out of the garden. When I open a metal can processed for the grocery stores it doesn't have that strong of tomato smell.
I am blessed with a mom who home cans tomatoes that I grow in my backyard - they are picked at their peak ripeness and canned right away. The end product is so flavorful, that no salt, sugar or other seasonings are needed when we use them to make tomato soup. I know of what you speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Point well taken DontH8Me-I have seen people spend useless money on packaged crap when with a little thought and ingenuity they could be eating quality produce,etc.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
I was just thinking about that contamination scare earlier today. The media created a sort of panic. Did they compensate the people who they damaged after? Did they cover the story about their error as much as the original BS? Of course not.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I don't usually buy tomatoes in the winter, because here in the northeast any winter tomatoes are "hot house" tomatoes, or they are shipped in from other areas. The taste just isn't the same. I usually wait until the summer, then buy them when local Farmer's Markets open. I did just find some delicious cherry tomatoes called Santa's Sweets recently, though. My six year old and I have been eating them like candy. They're from Mexico. I also grow tomatoes in the summer, but they aren't ready until August.
I'm the same way. I'm learning to cook (and eat) "in season".

I keep decent quality (not great) canned organic tomatoes on hand in the winter months. Since I am using them in soups and sauces, they are cooked and heavily seasoned (olive oil, garlic, peppers etc) so taste is not such an issue.

I've become very creative at making Fall and Winter salads that do not use tomatoes. Apples, citrus fruits, roasted root vegetables....all make nice additons to winter salads.

In the summer I grow (a few) of my own, or hit the local farmers' markets.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I am blessed with a mom who home cans tomatoes that I grow in my backyard - they are picked at their peak ripeness and canned right away. The end product is so flavorful, that no salt, sugar or other seasonings are needed when we use them to make tomato soup. I know of what you speak.
You ARE blessed!

Someday when all of our home renovations are done and I finally have permanent garden space....I'll grow oodles of tomatoes and can them.

For now, I'm happy with the few plants I keep in pots.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A lot of Americans choose to spend ther money on frivolous things instead of quality food. We tend to drive cars we can't afford, consider amenities like cell phones and cable tv "necessities" and then try to save on the food bill. I suppose to each his own, but it has been studied and ascertained that Americans spend less of a percentage of their income on their food than their European counterparts. It's all about quality over quantity in my book.
Totally agree I taught a canning and frugal course at a women's shelter a few years ago. Now mind you they were there to try to get back up on their feet on their own. Had to go on 2 shopping trips with the class I was shocked what they were putting into their carts even after taking the classes. So much packaged foods etc. then a few of them wanted to know how they were going to get their cable turned on when they left the shelter. Some times you can't teach the unteachables but some times you can reach families that truly understand food on the table is top priority. I'll help those families out as long as I am able.

I remember one lady was around 30 had 4 kids of her own and had never in her life had homemade mac & cheese. Always from the box with fake powdered cheese. Some didn't understand about batch cooking like spaghetti sauce either. Use it tonight on your pasta then freeze the rest for later. When I showed them how to make cake from scratch and how they weren't putting the preservatives into their bodies they all were amazed how easy it was. Their children had only had store bought bday cakes loaded with sugar icing.

I could go on and on but bottom line we all need to learn food prices, origins, read labels and buy as fresh to the plant as possible. Nothing is more important that feeding your family I want mine to taste the best it can.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
I think that MOST people would find that spending $10/lb on tomatoes as pretty frivilous actually. As much as I like quality produce, there are plenty of substitutions when tomatoes go out of season.

The real myth of this decade is that you have to spend an enormous amount of money to produce a healthy, well rounded menu. You don't.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 AM

746 posts, read 3,500,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I was just thinking about that contamination scare earlier today. The media created a sort of panic. Did they compensate the people who they damaged after? Did they cover the story about their error as much as the original BS? Of course not.
Um, the media just reported the warnings issued by the FDA. But yeah, maybe the media shouldn't pass along this news.

And I do believe they used words like "suspected the source of contamination was..." as they tried to pin down the causes.

But sure, blame the messenger.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Price is no object when it comes to good produce-especially tomatoes. I buy the large plastic containers of grape tomatoes a couple of times a week.
Yes, I found if I get the grape tomatoes and keep them around for a few days they will sometimes sweeten and have a good flavor.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
No.

I don't even think the media is told the truth about some of these scares. Then we have the situation in which the profession of journalism is not what it used to be and there is next to no truly invesigative reporting done any more. Reporters just relay what they are told and are happy to have a job.

Without an informed electorate, how can a democracy survive?

That Salinas Valley contamination of E.Coli - they said it was animal waste runoff in the soil, trying to blame it on nearby ranches, but I saw no report on the workers in the Valley and the availability of port-a-johns and supervision to make sure the farm hands used those things.

Practices that are regularly done in farming south of the border make Americans ill.

I also don't remember reports of closing this most productive area of California farming and hauling in new soil - or whatever needs to be done to mitigate the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink