Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
But it is a "southern thing". Just because its not common in your area does not mean that elsewhere in the South its not common.
No self-respecting BBQ restaurant in Memphis would serve a sandwich without it, same thing in the Bootheel region of Mo, and the adjoining area of Arkansas.......last time I checked, those places were in the South......
I thought it originated in a particular region, but from a quick search it doesn't appear that.

Memphis usually serves it on the side - Interstate, Corkey's, the BBQ Shop, bunch of local places. I've been to them all. Never seen it served on the sandwhich unless you request it. Now I smoke my own BBQ however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I've probably never tasted slaw as you all call it. It's likely much different than coleslaw which I think is a better companion to fish. But, as I've said I like my cabbage.. Is slaw good on bacon?? BLTS ..bacon,lettuce,tomato and slaw? Potato salad and Coleslaw are both pretty common in Texas. To my knowledge though..Potato salad rules with most BBQ's here.
Greek hot slaw would do for BLT's what it does for good BBQ. The hot slaw I'm describing has not mayo, no pickle relish, etc. Just finely shredded cabbage and mustard and spices. Totally different than standard coleslaw I would serve along beside any fried seafood. It's just something ya have to experience. I've traveled up Hwy 98 from FL to MS and found BBQ stops along the way with minor differences but I think they all had hot slaw as an option. Still have visions of a place in AR that has shredded pork with hot slaw. I might forget what was for lunch yesterday but good BBQ stops are seldom forgotten.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Greek hot slaw would do for BLT's what it does for good BBQ. The hot slaw I'm describing has not mayo, no pickle relish, etc. Just finely shredded cabbage and mustard and spices. Totally different than standard coleslaw I would serve along beside any fried seafood. It's just something ya have to experience. I've traveled up Hwy 98 from FL to MS and found BBQ stops along the way with minor differences but I think they all had hot slaw as an option. Still have visions of a place in AR that has shredded pork with hot slaw. I might forget what was for lunch yesterday but good BBQ stops are seldom forgotten.
Nomadicus; does this sound like the slaw you had?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Nomadicus; does this sound like the slaw you had?

No. There was no bacon or egg. Just cabbage and spice. Something more exotic than I recognize. It was definitely a mustard base but what else I just don't know. It did not have excessive heat as in very hot wing style heat. Just some zing. I'd rate it a heavy medium. As soon as I can find out I will share.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I thought it originated in a particular region, but from a quick search it doesn't appear that.

Memphis usually serves it on the side - Interstate, Corkey's, the BBQ Shop, bunch of local places. I've been to them all. Never seen it served on the sandwhich unless you request it. Now I smoke my own BBQ however.
Corkeys serves it right on top, I was there not too long ago. The waitress actually laughed when I requested it, I explained to her what the deal was, she replied that it automatically comes with the slaw on top.
Not trying to argue, but in that particular corner of the South, its almost compulsory for slaw to automatically come on the sandwich.
I'm from that area, and have eaten LOTS of BBQ there........we smoke our own, too, and it comes served with slaw!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
I grew up in Washington DC and there was a popular restaurant chain, Hot Shoppes which served barbecue sandwiches (pulled beef, chicken or pork) on a seeded roll and they included traditional cole slaw on top of the meat, so that's what I'm used to.

Now days I make barbecue sandwiches and add a few drops of Crystal hot sauce and some nice oil and vinegar slaw from my grocery store deli department.

BTW Hot Shoppes evolved from a single A&W root beer stand in DC and went on to become Marriott Corporation

Last edited by quiet walker; 04-20-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Corkeys serves it right on top, I was there not too long ago. The waitress actually laughed when I requested it, I explained to her what the deal was, she replied that it automatically comes with the slaw on top.
Not trying to argue, but in that particular corner of the South, its almost compulsory for slaw to automatically come on the sandwich.
I'm from that area, and have eaten LOTS of BBQ there........we smoke our own, too, and it comes served with slaw!
I've never seen it, I just don't remember their sandwhiches with slaw, but I will take your word for it - was this a franchise or the one in east Memphis? They have Corkey's franchises I guess everywhere now. They have one in the Memphis airport (probably frozen BBQ)! Corkey's is starting to be looked down on by the locals now anyways - that and downtown's Rondevous are for tourists that don't know better.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I've never seen it, I just don't remember their sandwhiches with slaw, but I will take your word for it - was this a franchise or the one in east Memphis? They have Corkey's franchises I guess everywhere now. They have one in the Memphis airport (probably frozen BBQ)! Corkey's is starting to be looked down on by the locals now anyways - that and downtown's Rondevous are for tourists that don't know better.
It was the one on Poplar Ave, believe that is the original?
Funny, all my friends that are Memphis natives, and even the transplants, love the Rendezvous, and the original Corkys location.......
BTW, Charlie Vergo, owner of the Rendezvous, passed away last month.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
My opinion is that southerners don't know how to do slaw correctly. They put to much sugar and other junk on it. Just MHO.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
First I ever heard of slaw on pulled pork or chicken sandwiches is Memphis.

I like the pulled chicken at Corky's with slaw on it and this has been a huge exception for me because I don't normally eat mayo-laden slaw. But their sandwich really hits the spot!

http://www.corkysribsandbbq.com/

I prefer the mustard slaw at the Rendevous, but have only been there a couple of times and had ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink