Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 06:19 AM

88 posts, read 54,036 times

Advertisements

We buy Beach Cliff sardines which are a subsidiary of Bumble Bee and often the lowest priced. We just get the plain ones in water. Last time I looked, there were a product of the U.S.A. We eat them plain on saltine crackers, or sometimes on Triscuits with a spread of Laughing Cow cheese (or you can use a hard roll too). Good for lunch or as a snack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 06:33 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Me! I like them on crackers with mustard. Or on soft white cheese, with crackers. My crackers of choice are Triscuits, but saltines sound good too.

Perfect lunch: sardines on crackers with Guldens Mustard, and ripe cherry tomatoes.

Does anyone know a different, and good, way of eating them?
I used to eat them until I stopped at an all night mini mart. There was a three shift factory across the street from this mart and the second shift was on break. That is when I witnessed someone eating sardines in mustard sauce by using chunks of angel food cake to dig them out of the can. Just no!

Old 08-01-2020, 09:04 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,427,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Back in late February and early March when it seemed as though my fellow Americans were stripping the store shelves bare of toilet paper and all basic edibles in preparation for the End Times, I had difficulty accessing canned salmon and tuna so I stocked up on sardines in their place as there were plenty available in stores.

It had been a while since I'd eaten canned sardines and was surprised to discover that I like them now just as much as I did when I was a little girl sitting at my grandfather's side eating them on saltine crackers.

Fresh sardines eaten while in season were a much later discovery (so good!), but I think that as with tuna and salmon, I like these canned little fish just as much as do the fresh ones--only in a different way.

From now on, I think that sardines have earned a permanent place on my pantry staples list as they're wonderful for a quick, inexpensive meal or snack.

Is anyone else a fan of this humble little canned fish?
Yes!

I eat canned sardines 6 days per week.

They have protein, omega-3s and are very low in Mercury.

They are very affordable.

I put 1 can per day in my bowl of Quinoa, Basmati brown rice, lentils, barley, chopped red and green peppers and garlic.

I mash them up and mix them in.

Sardines are good stuff!

Old 08-01-2020, 09:10 AM

2,115 posts, read 3,021,272 times
^^^ lol cake, yuck. I've eaten sardines all my life. I usually make a sandwich with mustard or hot sauce. Beach Cliff in water.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:06 PM

8,797 posts, read 5,094,304 times
Love them in oil. DH, can`t stand the smell though.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:52 PM

2,503 posts, read 1,880,061 times
Sardines and cream cheese on a cracker. Yum!

Old 08-01-2020, 03:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
I now buy Tiny Tots brisling sardines in olive oil. I rinse lightly and drain, before eating. There are no bones. But I remember eating sardine bones. I will have to have a look at the “specialty grocer” I visit every other week. I wonder what sardines they carry?

We need any diversion we can get during the pandemic, no?

Old 08-01-2020, 03:30 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,492,509 times
Best ones I've found are the Season brand. I like them on a sandwich with dark rye bread, cheddar cheese, and extra-hot Chinese mustard.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:38 PM

130,670 posts, read 12,177,441 times
Yes we like them, sometimes I use them in a salad or make a sandwich.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:49 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,280,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Back in late February and early March when it seemed as though my fellow Americans were stripping the store shelves bare of toilet paper and all basic edibles in preparation for the End Times, I had difficulty accessing canned salmon and tuna so I stocked up on sardines in their place as there were plenty available in stores.

It had been a while since I'd eaten canned sardines and was surprised to discover that I like them now just as much as I did when I was a little girl sitting at my grandfather's side eating them on saltine crackers.

Fresh sardines eaten while in season were a much later discovery (so good!), but I think that as with tuna and salmon, I like these canned little fish just as much as do the fresh ones--only in a different way.

From now on, I think that sardines have earned a permanent place on my pantry staples list as they're wonderful for a quick, inexpensive meal or snack.

Is anyone else a fan of this humble little canned fish?
Oh yes, a can of sardines, some hot sauce,Crystal preferred, some soda crackers and a coke of any variety . A working mans lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink