Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 06:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes!
I eat canned sardines 6 days per week.
They have protein, omega-3s and are very low in Mercury.
They are very affordable.

I put 1 can per day in my bowl of Quinoa, Basmati brown rice, lentils, barley,
chopped red and green peppers and garlic.
I mash them up and mix them in.
Sardines are good stuff!
Cool!
I just today brought out some kippers to have tomorrow.
I stock up on them for the coming Depression. Gotta have cheese around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 06:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Best ones I've found are the Season brand. I like them on a sandwich with dark rye bread,
cheddar cheese, and extra-hot Chinese mustard.
Wow, EXTRA hot?

Old 08-01-2020, 09:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Best ones I've found are the Season brand. I like them on a sandwich with dark rye bread, cheddar cheese, and extra-hot Chinese mustard.
That sounds wonderful. Unforch, I am the only sardine lover in my house. But a sardine sandwich with a good slice of cheese and Gulden's mustard on rye sounds like a heavenly lunch for me,

Old 08-01-2020, 10:40 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As much as I love fish, sardines are not on my list of favorite fish, but spoiled brat does love them in mustard sauce or spicy red sauce. I picked some up at Aldis yesterday as a matter of fact. Now I am curios to check and see where they were produced. I hope not China. Well I just went and checked: they are a product of China.
I've been getting the Chicken of the Sea brand sardines. They're from Poland. I've also read that some fish while caught by US-based fishermen is processed in various parts of Asia as their processing costs are lower than ours. Vietnam, for one, has processing plants that meet USDA guidelines. Wish I could remember where I read that but I do know it was a reputable site. I stay away from unknown sites of questionable reputation.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I've been getting the Chicken of the Sea brand sardines. They're from Poland. I've also read that some fish while caught by US-based fishermen is processed in various parts of Asia as their processing costs are lower than ours. Vietnam, for one, has processing plants that meet USDA guidelines. Wish I could remember where I read that but I do know it was a reputable site. I stay away from unknown sites of questionable reputation.
I will look for chicken of the Sea. As for things being harvested here, seafood or whatever, yes, I have heard the same thing and it is hard to distinguish when a product says: product of this or that place. Was it truly grown in that country or was it raised somewhere and manufactured there. It is confusing to say the least.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:52 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As much as I love fish, sardines are not on my list of favorite fish, but spoiled brat does love them in mustard sauce or spicy red sauce. I picked some up at Aldis yesterday as a matter of fact. Now I am curios to check and see where they were produced. I hope not China. Well I just went and checked: they are a product of China.
All of sardines in my pantry are from Aldi and are products of Morocco.

I know that Aldi does source from a variety of producers, which might explain why the ones in your cupboard are from China.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
All of sardines in my pantry are from Aldi and are products of Morocco.

I know that Aldi does source from a variety of producers, which might explain why the ones in your cupboard are from China.
Isn't that interesting. I just got mine on Friday and the packaging was the same as what we have been getting for the past year.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
I liked sardines (and its close relative herring) pretty much since I was an older teenager. My favorite method is putting them on buttered toast, then sprinkling salt and black pepper on top. It's oily, but the pepper cuts through the grease. Drinking coffee or tea alongside helps too.

The best sardines (and herring) are from Latvia, the Old Riga brand in particular. Fishing was a huge part of its economy for decades; it's located on Baltic Sea with easy access to North Atlantic, both rich fishing areas. So Latvia is really good at producing canned fish for worldwide export. Not only that, Latvia is part of the EU, so its food production is at high standards, unlike, say, China. I actually trust Old Riga more than many American brands, whose fish can be of questionable origin.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:04 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I buy the "Wild Planet" sardines, when I can find them.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:16 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Eat them every third day and I love 'em. King Oscar in extra virgin olive oil are my go to sardines. The extra oil goes on the dog food. I get a 12 pack from Amazon ... delivered on a 6 week basis. Favorite hiking protein and the cans can be used for cooking an egg.

I eat them right out of the can just the way they are. Wife hates them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink