Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,407 times

Advertisements

So, tomorrow night I am cooking dinner for a guy I've been seeing/talking to for a couple of weeks... I need ideas on simple meals that will impress! I'm thinking along the lines of RR 30 minute meals. Gourmetish done in a flash!

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,410,416 times
Do you have a grill???

Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Do you have a grill???
I DO have a grill! And I know how to use it! lol

Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,967,762 times
Most men appreciate comfort food-style cooking more than they do gourmet. Just sayin'...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,167,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Most men appreciate comfort food-style cooking more than they do gourmet. Just sayin'...
Usually but it does depend on the guy.

What kind of person is he? Will you serve drinks? If so then what kind?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Usually but it does depend on the guy.

What kind of person is he? Will you serve drinks? If so then what kind?
Right - I don't want like super gourmet food - just something with a little more effort than what I cook at home every night. I will probably get a bottle of wine? I don't know. I haven't met someone new in about 5 years so I am super nervous and kind of freaking out!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,967,762 times
If he was brought up correctly, he should show up with the wine. But you never can tell these days...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,167,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Right - I don't want like super gourmet food - just something with a little more effort than what I cook at home every night. I will probably get a bottle of wine? I don't know. I haven't met someone new in about 5 years so I am super nervous and kind of freaking out!
Then I go for the grilled steak, fish, or seafood. Serve with a salad and some sort of fancy potato dish (well, fancier than baked potatoes). Will he help you cook? I love that kind of early dates.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,638,384 times
How about roasting a couple cornish hens? You could serve it with some kind of stuffing like cornbread or wild rice, and whatever green veggie looks good or that you know he likes. I think most guys like green beans, and sauteed whole baby green beans would make a nice romantic presentation on the plate next to a nice crispy hen, the whole thing just for him. Some guys might want more than one hen, and they keep well, so make a couple extra in case he's one of those ones with a black hole where his stomach should be.

Or, a stir-fry over rice is very quick and easy if you are looking for something less elaborate. It is also well suited to a Rachel Ray style cooking demo as you usually need to do some of your prep in advance in order to get each ingredient into the pan at the right time, and it all comes together very quick.

If you are planning to serve it, I'd say to make your dessert ahead or maybe pick something up from a good local bakery so you don't get too frazzled.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
I have no specific suggestion regarding the dish, but I do encourage you to NOT make something that requires your undivided attention for periods of time. Something labor-intensive, whether standing over the stove for a long time, or having to keep running into the kitchen every few minutes, is not conducive to a good date.

OK, you're nervous. Understandable, for sure! Don't forget to have a good time, though, OK? And don't forget to breathe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink