Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
The repro bodies are good in terms of saving yourself the labor of trying to fix the one you have. Only thing is how do you legally swap on the donor car's vin...or do you...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
That's what I was thinking. How does this vehicle get titled / registered? If it has to be registered as a new vehicle, I'm thinking it will have to meet smog standards. My bet is that people will be finding a donor car for a vin and basically build a new car around that. I "HAVE HEARD" that's what many people have done with 32 Ford kit cars.
It depends on how you do the build. If you bought this kit to replace the body on an original, then you could legally swap VIN plates, but the vehicle would still require an inspection before being allowed to register as a road vehicle. When it comes to defining what the vehicle "is" it's all about the actual frame, that's what is VIN stamped and what the car is. You could take a 1973 Mustang and put a Ferrari body and engine in it and it would still legally be a 1973 Mustang. This is what a lot of the hot rod guys do. The FactoryFive Cobra's also work the same way, most of those are legally Fox Body Mustangs, lol.

If you were to buy one of these and build it as a kit car, you would need to acquire a VIN from the state. In this case, there might also be safety and emissions inspections, but those rules vary by build and state. Here is the link on the NJ MVC site:

New Jersey MVC Registration for Custom Built, Kit Cars, & More at DMV.org: The Unofficial DMV Guide

Going the first route is easy and straight forward. Going the second route it is probably best to do your homework as to what regulations your kit car will need to meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
New Jersey DMV rules for vehicle title and reg are a bit ambiguous. In many cases it's a gray area at best. One example is QQ plates. I see many cars with QQ plates at cruise nites and at the track that are modified (pro street etc.) which should not have those plates. All you need to do is bring a couple of photos to DMV (of a stock vehicle similar to the one you want to register) and you'll get your QQ plates.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
New Jersey DMV rules for vehicle title and reg are a bit ambiguous. In many cases it's a gray area at best. One example is QQ plates. I see many cars with QQ plates at cruise nites and at the track that are modified (pro street etc.) which should not have those plates. All you need to do is bring a couple of photos to DMV (of a stock vehicle similar to the one you want to register) and you'll get your QQ plates.
The NJ rules are a little lax. You also have a lot of people running around on collector's inspection that are using the cars a lot more than they should.

Basically, if you wanted to build this kind of Mustang, it will fall under the kit/custom car unless you have a valid donor that you are "rebodying" and can use that VIN plate. Each state is going to treat it differently, but they all have rules to get it done and make the car street legal.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
Some states will title it as the year it is intended to represent. This is important for builders in California to avoid smog.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:34 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
seems to me some years ago I read a similar article about a company (in Australia?) that had purchased the stampings/molds for the 55-57 Chevy's. At the time thought it was a great idea, but now i dont recall ever hearing about it again.
This is probably a very limited scope of a project, these "new" stangs, taking into account the popularity of the Camaro/Mustang/Challengers built today

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Thats cool. I myself would like a 67, 69 or 71 mustang. I was never really a fan of the 64-66 stangs. My parents once owned a 65 stang with a automatic tranny. It had no pwr steering or disc brakes which is a must for me. My first 2 cars (70 cutlass sx & 68 cougar) i owned had no pwr brakes & the 2nd car had a noisy aftermarket under the dash a/c.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
it would neat to take a 2012 5.0 GT and put a 1965 shell/Body on it...It would be the ultimate Retro/modren car and a blast to drive..with Classic 1960's looks and amazing 21st century performance and handling...

Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
that's what i was thinking. How does this vehicle get titled / registered? If it has to be registered as a new vehicle, i'm thinking it will have to meet smog standards.

nope. Did a 'bonnie and clyde' ford, and as long as i have the equivalent of a vin (in that case a little piece of the frame with the number), it is registered for the year it was originally built, and emissions are only required to meet that year (i.e. The 1930's). Did a '67 chevelle... Only had to meet the requirements of that year (none). Geez, the thing would barely idle with the cam in it, and had no emission anything. It got squirrely with the stuff after '72, as we had to detune them so badly at the test to pass, that you couldn't put them in gear without stalling.

my bet is that people will be finding a donor car for a vin and basically build a new car around that. I "have heard" that's what many people have done with 32 ford kit cars.

1930's fords... Been there, done that. Not a kit car, a real one, but put in a modern frame, motor, everything. Basically a daily driver. You need to keep the right part of the frame. There is a reason why the vin-equivalents go for a lot of money. Just like a sear in a machine gun.
jmho.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Needs a 2JZ and AWD lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln