Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

My best friend is looking for a 4x4 to haul his boat and do some off roading and he asked me what truck I would choose he is looking at a 91 K5 blazer with a 350 or a 95
full sized bronco with a 351 windsor being that I own a 91 f250 I am biased toward ford trucks so I said the bronco anyways what would you guys recommend? One thing that hit during this thread was dodge made the ram charger also I might as well throw that up too seeing as the trucks are all pretty much even

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/used-1989-dodge-ramcharger-150-3819-883984-1-640.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
None of the above. All had pretty dismal reliability records and were gas hogs. I owned a '78 Blazer and it was one of the worst vehicles I ever owned. I will grant that it was backcountry capable--but it was too big for many narrow trails. That is, when it wasn't in the shop, which it was--a lot. Also, with today's fuel quality, I would not own a carbureted vehicle--to much hassle with today's low flash point fuels, which cause all kinds of vapor-locking issues in older carbureted vehicles.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:03 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,279 times
The blazer and the bronco are F.I. Not familiar with the Ram, but I think it would be also. I'd personally go with the K5, but either the Ford or Chevy should be fine.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
None of the above. All had pretty dismal reliability records and were gas hogs. I owned a '78 Blazer and it was one of the worst vehicles I ever owned. I will grant that it was backcountry capable--but it was too big for many narrow trails. That is, when it wasn't in the shop, which it was--a lot. Also, with today's fuel quality, I would not own a carbureted vehicle--to much hassle with today's low flash point fuels, which cause all kinds of vapor-locking issues in older carbureted vehicles.
this will be his second vehicle and the ford broncos from late 80's on were EFI my f250 is fuel injected and I have never had any problems with it so far knock on wood LOL. I don't think he cares about MPG's or the size he just wants to take 4 people and tow his boat when he travels and goes camping he has a mid-size car for city drivng. He really wants a good off roader but only wants to spend 5K and he does not want a ford explorer or jeep grand cherokee.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I had both. A 76 Blazer with the 400 ci and a 94 Bronco with a 5.0 liter.
Had a couple Suburbans as well.

I will never own a GM again, too many break downs. If and when a Ford breaks you can still make it home. I keep my trucks up on maintance and no money is withheld. My mechanic knows to make no short cuts and use new parts. There is no excuse for what GM has been selling for decades.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:40 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
All three are fine. Since none of them are still in production, it's all personal preferences today, anyway.

However, I'd pick the Bronco because of its looks. The Blazers were dated...same crap since '73!

Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Quote:
Regardless of your experience with your Blazer when Carter was in the office: this is 2009. It is irrelevant.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:49 PM

174 posts, read 596,633 times
I would go with the Ford Bronco. I had friend back in the early 1980s that owned a Chevy K5 and it rode like a truck and it spent a lot of time in the shop. One thing that you can say about all three is that they were the sport utes of that time. Unlike todays SUVs, most of which are nothing more than glorified station wagons.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
Quote:
Both of my vehicles are carbureted and neither have vapor locking issues at all with todays gas. As for the Blazer or Bronco, if the Blazer has a solid front axle that would be better over a 90s Bronco twin traction beam front axle. A 1978 or 1979 Bronco would be the very best choice though.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Both of my vehicles are carbureted and neither have vapor locking issues at all with todays gas. As for the Blazer or Bronco, if the Blazer has a solid front axle that would be better over a 90s Bronco twin traction beam front axle. A 1978 or 1979 Bronco would be the very best choice though.
out here 78-79 broncos are very hard to find in decent shape either they are really beat up or really modified and command a premium price if I could find a nice solid axel bronco I would buy it LOL. Since it is going to be doing alot of towing and freeway driving would the TTB bronco not be a better truck for towing a 22FT boat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln