Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
*yawn*

Seriously, do we need a new thread every day from the sky is falling crowd?

I could link to here three more articles on how the decline is leveling off, stock market is back up, etc., etc., etc.

My point is, can you just resurrect the last thread with the same topic and comment on it so the rest of us don't have to navigate through 10 threads aimed at making absolutely positively sure that EVERYONE agrees that disaster is still looming out there.

I don't know how you all get up every morning and face the day. I'd wanna off myself if I felt as gloom and doom as you people do.
seriously fancy dont read the posts if you cant see the trend or the message.
It isn't about doom and gloom, it is about rejoicing that these overpriced homes are coming down as predicted and that those that got sucked into it are finally getting what is coming to them. Now those that work hard and pay their taxes can get their home. For years people that saw this bubble inflate sat back and watched their savings accounts grow waiting for the bubble to burst.
I like the comparison to "the sky is falling" That story implied an impending disaster that never happend. The housing market has and still is happening. It doesn't take a wall street broker to tell you that.
Your message is quite the opposite and frankly it doesn't help anyone.
There are certainly at least two classes on the threads. Buyers and sellers. The sellers did in fact take advantage of the market when it was up. Selling high, enjoying bidding wars, refinancing themselves out of their homes, flipping for profit etc....
The party is over. Many got hosed. If you need to sell better do it now, your losing thousands per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 04:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
In my area new construction has just shot up all of a sudden. We have a new developement by own home that is $600,000 plus homes and it was pretty stagnant for a long time. Just in the last couple of months they have about 6 homes going up in there. During the parade of homes the builder had a 1.2 million model open and it already has people moving into it.

There are also other new developements around me that are still building and selling as well.

Kristine
Some of them have to or they may face fines from the city/county that issued them the permits. I've noticed some building by me too.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:51 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
seriously fancy dont read the posts if you cant see the trend or the message.
It isn't about doom and gloom, it is about rejoicing that these overpriced homes are coming down as predicted and that those that got sucked into it are finally getting what is coming to them. Now those that work hard and pay their taxes can get their home. For years people that saw this bubble inflate sat back and watched their savings accounts grow waiting for the bubble to burst.
I like the comparison to "the sky is falling" That story implied an impending disaster that never happend. The housing market has and still is happening. It doesn't take a wall street broker to tell you that.
Your message is quite the opposite and frankly it doesn't help anyone.
There are certainly at least two classes on the threads. Buyers and sellers. The sellers did in fact take advantage of the market when it was up. Selling high, enjoying bidding wars, refinancing themselves out of their homes, flipping for profit etc....
The party is over. Many got hosed. If you need to sell better do it now, your losing thousands per day.
Oh you mean the people that bought a house in the past 10 years? This gives you reason to rejoice? That's pretty twisted.

Unbelievable

Old 04-17-2009, 07:08 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Oh you mean the people that bought a house in the past 10 years? This gives you reason to rejoice? That's pretty twisted.

Unbelievable
Obviously it depends on the particular marketplace.

In general, within the last four - five years, probably so....in the last six to ten, highly unlikely.

Until you sell, you haven't 'lost' or 'gained' anything.....

Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon521 View Post
I'm not a fan of new construction. Trust me, by NO means am I some environmental-freak, but the fact that we keep building and building and building (often times with poor quality construction) scares me.

Hahaha, just like there's plenty of kids out there that need adopted, there's plenty of older homes that needs some tender lovin' care too! But with the population expanding so quickly, new construction cannot be avoided entirely. However, I can't help but think that 70% of people who are building are merely trying to keep up with the Jones' and living beyond their means in order to do so.

The one good thing about this recession is that I think it's making (some) people re-prioritize their lives and realize what's really important, like family. We don't need so much STUFF to be happy.

Better stop here- I feel a big rant coming on!

-Jenn :O)
We built new construction because we wanted a greener home than most of the existing homes were. We put in a lot of energy saving features and as a result pay 60% or more less for energy than a home of the same size built 30 years ago.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:

Unbelievable
Bought my house in 2003 and I'm still ahead with prices leveling and even beginning to go back up in my area.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,433 times
Quote:

Unbelievable
+1

There are plenty of people who are losing their homes that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with being greedy, but this "camp" of people on this forum (they're probably never going to be able to buy a home anyway no matter how low the prices go) just can't resist from getting their digs in and blaming everyone who has lost a job, had an unforeseen illness, pay their bills and their mortgage on time only to see all of their equity wiped out by people who didn't, and on and on. Depending on my mood, I go from being amazed at their coldheartedness to just feeling sorry for them that they apparently have no soul.

But whoever wrote up there that I shouldn't read these threads is absolutely correct. I shouldn't. They're worthless. They're drivel. And if you think that this "helps" anyone, you're also crazy.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
In my area new construction has just shot up all of a sudden. We have a new developement by own home that is $600,000 plus homes and it was pretty stagnant for a long time. Just in the last couple of months they have about 6 homes going up in there. During the parade of homes the builder had a 1.2 million model open and it already has people moving into it.

There are also other new developements around me that are still building and selling as well.

Kristine
I don't know what part of MN you are in, but new construction as a whole is dead here. Sure there will always be a few homes being built, but it is WAY WAY WAY down, just like our values.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:07 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Some of them have to or they may face fines from the city/county that issued them the permits. I've noticed some building by me too.
Well there are people moving into them when they are completed so I don't think they are being built for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I don't know what part of MN you are in, but new construction as a whole is dead here. Sure there will always be a few homes being built, but it is WAY WAY WAY down, just like our values.

I am in the western Twin Cities and in my area building is going well. Certainly not on fire like it had been in the past but certainly homes are being built and people are buying them.

Kristine

Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Goes to show real estate is very localized. In my area of DFW, new construction is doing very well and homes are selling at a fast pace in many cities around the airport.

You go out to the Burbs and things get a lot slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs