Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 PM

6 posts, read 10,931 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been planing a move to Fort Collins for quite some time now. Our visit in Oct. helped us make up our minds that we would indeed give it a go. Our intentions are to rent first to make sure that we are not making a mistake. We have two dogs, a basset hound and a UKC GRCH Pit Bull with CGC from the AKC. Guess that dosent matter, because we have found that all property through an agency does not accept my dog because he is deemed dangerous. Will I have to buy or find a private home without an agency to rent? We chose foco, because it did'nt have BSL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 06:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
You very well will be unable to find any rentals that will allow a Pit Bull. It is almost impossible to find rentals, that will rent to anyone with one dog, let alone two dogs.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:41 PM

This is true. Any alternative option would be helpful. We may have to buy, but would rather get a feel for the city before we made that decision.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:57 PM

97 posts, read 265,084 times
That's tough, but the city is pretty small that if you do have to buy the right agent and with enough looking you should be able to make a good decision.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 PM

127 posts, read 234,553 times
Try ....

Colorado Rentals: houses, apartments, homes to rent in Fort Collins to Boulder and beyond

If you can't find a suitable rental, directly, call some of the property management companies who have the rentals listed.

Good luck !

Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,388 times
We were also looking for a rental house that would accept our two dogs. Our main issue was that one is a 50lbs 'American bulldog mix', and she has an extremely strong resemblance to a pit...
First off, no not even look at places in Denver, they have a ban on pits, and you have a registered one.
We looked for over a month for properties with a yard that accepts more than one dog, and a large dog (over 90% accept dogs under 30lbs only). Very few fell into that category to begin with (which highly surprised me, if you have a huge fenced yard, why not accept dogs?)
We found a leasing company that had many housing options, from apartments to huge houses, and some of their properties accepted more than 2 dogs with a refundable pet deposit which we were more than willing to pay to have our pets with us. The company is called Mountain n Plains, and do not even try with them if you have a large dog that is considered a 'dangerous' breed. They made us jump through hoops for over a month and in the end told us no, even though the house was posted as 'accepting dogs with a refundable $300/pet deposit'.
So we looked further, and found another property management that claims to be 'pet friendly', called Kevco. They have even more properties available than MnP, and they are very helpful. After a week or so of back-and-forth emailing different application forms, including pictures of our dogs (especially pictures where the ABM did not look like a pit), our applications were accepted.

I hope this helps. I would have loved to know about Kevco a few months ago and known to stay away from MnP. It would have saved us time and money, and we probably would have been able to get a much better place than we have now (the earlier the better for house renting in Fort Collins seems to be a rule).
Good luck!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Fromtigertoram,
There are more of us in that situation than we like to think and it is a difficult place to be in when you have to choose between a better life for your fammily and putting your pets at risk (aka fammily too). I made the move from Fl. to Fort Collins back in July and havent second guessed it one bit, but for the safety of my dog I had to leave him with familly. It has been such a hard thing for me because we have never been sepparated and it's very unsettling. We decided to sign a short term lease while we shop for a house. With some searching we found a home and he will be with us as soon as our current lease is up. I dont understand how our dogs have been labled with a stamp that says (BABY KILLER), but never hurt a living soul. I applaud the activists that fight for our dogs to have the right to exist. Good luck to you and your dog in Fort Collins. If you see a bluenose 80lb UKC GRCH apbt being walked by a 4yr old little girl in old town this Dec. tell her congrats on reuniting with her puppy.
BAN BSL

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,896 times
My boyfriend and I recently relocated from Chicago w/ our two dogs (golden ret. and german shep.). We intended to be in Fort Collins, but found it next to impossible to find a rental (apt or home) for two large dogs. This could be because we were moving on a tight schedule and you might have more luck if you have more time to search. We did not want to buy a house right away as we wanted to get to know our new city and not rush into a purchase. So, we actually have a lease in Loveland and find it very easy to get back and forth to Fort Collins. You might want to look into Lake Vista Centerra for your temporary housing needs. It's right off 25 and they take up to 3 dogs. It's a pretty new complex (maybe 2-3 years old) and it's clean, quiet, and there is a lake w/ trail for walking, biking, etc. They also have a ton of floor plans and lease lengths so you can probably find something that fits your needs. Good Luck!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,965 times
Really happy to see all this info on dogs. We want to leave North Carolina (where we haven't found any of that so-called southern hospitality in five years), but we rescue dogs, having ten now (either we do this or they get the needle here), so this is our biggest problem. I figure I will have to come out first and buy a little farm or such, and then bring out the family. Not surprised at the issue with rentals. Sad, tho, if anyone is willing to put up a deposit, and IF they can keep their dogs quiet.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times
We are relocating to Greeley and we cant find anyone that will rent us a home with our pit. Does anyone know of any places I can look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area