Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post

Jobs are a huge issue in Ft Collins/Loveland. The area is nice, but I fail to see how it made Money Mag's rating because of economy/jobs.
I never really had a problem finding work when I lived there, it depends what your experience/education is I guess. I guessing part of the reason they rated the city so high is that the mag thinks Fort Collins folks will drive to Longmont/Boulder/even Denver for work.

It's a long commute, even to Longmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
I guessing part of the reason they rated the city so high is that the mag thinks Fort Collins folks will drive to Longmont/Boulder/even Denver for work.
If gas prices don't drop a good amount so will the rating for the Fort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
It's a long commute, even to Longmont.
Yes.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriend View Post
So what exactly does Denver offer that Fort Collins does not? In another thread, someone said that Denver "isn't very hip".
AS stated above, jobs, for one thing. Also the "major league city" aspects: professional sports, professional arts, a superb public library system, zoo, museums, etc. Not a college town, per se, like "Ft. Fun".

Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM
rjs

60 posts, read 218,156 times
WHat does "IMO" mean.? I just know I'm gonna feel like an idiot when i read the answers flood in.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 PM

In my opinion.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:31 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
My biggest problem with Fort Collins is the job situation, which does not seem to be improving over the last few years, and the higher cost of living when compared to other towns in the general area.

The only reason I have not moved my family out of there is that the schools are good, and there are plenty of therapists, and medical facilities to take care of my daughter with her medical conditions. I originally found this site while researching a couple of other areas to move to, and settled on commuting to work while keeping my family here.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:38 AM

Where do you work? There are good schools and therapists all over the Denver metro area.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where do you work? There are good schools and therapists all over the Denver metro area.
I currently work in the oil field 2 weeks on and 1 off in parachute CO, due to not being able to find a solid job in my chosen career. I have looked in both northern Colorado and Denver, and due to the overflow of trained salesman, as well as people with degrees looking for work in any area the amount companies are willing to pay is no longer worth the headaches of sales.

The schools (other then Cherry Creek) in the Denver metro area do not offer the programs for my daughter that are free in Fort Collins for her (due to an arrangement with CSU to train teachers who need special ed experience). I lived in the Metro area for 8 of the last 10 years and would warn just about any parent of a child needing special ed from moving there, unless they go to a private school and then that is expensive.

As for the therapists, you are correct that there are some in Denver but the ones my daughter needs all seemed to be overworked with little time to focus on each of the kids in their care.

As a native who does not want to leave Colorado (but may have to due to the job situation) I have researched schools and cities throughout this state, and the care my daughter receives in Fort Collins is much better then she will receive anywhere else in the state.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:56 AM

^^^I'd do the same in your position. Do what is best for your kid.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 PM

17 posts, read 62,929 times
I do no know why anyone would not like to live in Fort collind. I recently moved here from TX and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area