Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Hang in there man! Don't worry, but try to be conservative with your funds. I find a lot of activities in Colorado are free. 9-11-01 didn't help and choosing Bush didn't make it any better. Lets pray that are recession will not be as bad as expected!
I found most activities were not free, such as visiting the parks. They all chareged. 20 bucks just to drive through rocky mountain national park just to name one. Im not saying your claim is wrong, I am just wondering if you wouldnt mind nameing specifics.

By the way, did I tell you that the egg on the sidewalk thing didnt work...although it does on the hood of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
I thinking about moving my family to fort collins. I am a telecom/computer technician (IT industry). Are jobs in that industry hard to come by?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 PM

38 posts, read 144,474 times
I'm not the expert, but my neighbor who works in the IT industry told me that IT jobs are harder to come by in FC than Denver and she worked in Boulder - which is an hour drive.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeseeker View Post
I thinking about moving my family to fort collins. I am a telecom/computer technician (IT industry). Are jobs in that industry hard to come by?
pretty tight labor market locally in that field.

Large oversupply of competent EX- IT employees from;
HP,
Agilent,
Storage Tech,
Kodak,
IBM,
(just to name a few of the former 'good' jobs)

Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 PM

108 posts, read 340,410 times
Default Large Suburb in Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
I agree and disagree with the isolation statement, I agree because yes it is a lil too distant from Denver to commute on a daily basis. Tried it, I'm sure many other have as well and it gets old.

The part I disagree upon is that most people do not know by 2035 the population of Colorado will grow up 8 million people. The population of Fort Collins will double to about 300,000 and Colorado Springs to Denver to Fort Collins will basically be interconnected by suburbs.
Funny, I saw Boulder, and Longmont so close, and with Loveland and Ft Collins not much further, I thought the exact same thing. What keeps all that land open? Being from LA I'm used to buildings on every square inch. I hope that CO can keep some of it separate and empty. It makes for better cities, to have them more compact, and preserves wildlife areas, too. I understand there is a light rail system planned from Longmont to Boulder, and maybe on to Denver. Any news on that in the future? Is it likely?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 PM

Another question, what ARE the prospects for jobs? I've read taht the jobs tend to be lower paid than other larger cities. Is there more competition, or what? Any prospects on web and graphic design jobs?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds495 View Post
Another question, what ARE the prospects for jobs? I've read taht the jobs tend to be lower paid than other larger cities. Is there more competition, or what? Any prospects on web and graphic design jobs?
Jobs are much lower paying in Fort Collins then even in Denver. As for prospects on web or graphic design, I would be surprised if there is any demand for them here. between college kids that do not want to leave, and the large number of former IT types that lost their jobs over the last few years there are plenty here with the capabilities to do the job.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 PM

169 posts, read 672,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Jobs are much lower paying in Fort Collins then even in Denver. As for prospects on web or graphic design, I would be surprised if there is any demand for them here. between college kids that do not want to leave, and the large number of former IT types that lost their jobs over the last few years there are plenty here with the capabilities to do the job.

I don't agree 100% with this. The difference will be experience - college grads will not have this so if the job requires it you have the upper hand. It is not job hell here - could it be a lot better? Yes it could. BUT you also have to remember that you are talking of an area with a population about 1/5 of the Denver metro so yeah there are more companies, more jobs, etc in Denver. Oh and yes the pay is lower here in No CO (of course the cost of living is lower too).

However, whatever you decide please (please..) do not make a move to No CO before finding a job. That would be plain stupid IMO. Trust me you do not want your option to be driving from Fort Collins to Denver/Boulder everyday

Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 PM

62 posts, read 213,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bproven View Post
an area with a population about 1/5 of the Denver metro
Say FC is 150,000 people. Denver metro is almost 3 million people! OK maybe 2.5...still, that's about 1/100 of Denver metro, not even close to 1/5!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Default THanks, good advice on jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bproven View Post

However, whatever you decide please (please..) do not make a move to No CO before finding a job. That would be plain stupid IMO. Trust me you do not want your option to be driving from Fort Collins to Denver/Boulder everyday
Good advice... However, I will not be the main employer for the family. I did want to know what the options are, in case I need to find work. I will research further into the job possibilities there, and web and graphics firms. Thanks for the local insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area