U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Denver
204 posts, read 522,359 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

We just found out we're relocating from Atlanta. My husband's office is adjacent to the Miami Airport. Is it worth the 40 mile commute to stay in Broward for our two young girls (6 and 9 months)? We're starting to think it may be better to live in Pinecrest or Coral Gables. I would appreciate any advice or anyone that has personal experience with this situation. We're not sure what to do.....
Help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Weston, FL
4,277 posts, read 6,404,651 times
Reputation: 1516
A lot of people commute from Broward to MIA, I think for this exact reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM
 
3,913 posts, read 8,382,164 times
Reputation: 1911
The commute from Pinecrest wouldn't be a whole lot better since you'd be driving through the thickest Miami traffic. Coral Gables would be a much easier commute. I'm pretty sure the schools there are decent. Anyone know anything about Coral Gables HS? Didn't Janet Reno graduate from there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Denver
204 posts, read 522,359 times
Reputation: 54
Thanks for the advice on the traffic. I figured Coral Gables would be better. I really could care less about Janet Reno! What's she, 80? We have a 6 year old and a 9 month old. HS is not a priority right now. Can anyone tell me exactly how the controlled choice works if we decide to go public, since most of the private schools I've contacted at this point in the year do not have space for next fall?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Coral Springs
143 posts, read 377,311 times
Reputation: 58
When we moved last year I liked Coral Gables which looked like it had a good elementary school. But for the middle & high schools, I heard some mixed reviews & we had one heading into middle school so we made the move to Broward.
Good luck with your move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
 
8 posts, read 10,819 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
We just found out we're relocating from Atlanta. My husband's office is adjacent to the Miami Airport. Is it worth the 40 mile commute to stay in Broward for our two young girls (6 and 9 months)? We're starting to think it may be better to live in Pinecrest or Coral Gables. I would appreciate any advice or anyone that has personal experience with this situation. We're not sure what to do.....
Help!
Broward public schools are probablythe worst and the us-just 1 notch above mississippi- violence, security calls, poor grades are par for the course. If you can afford a privat school like pinecrest or american heritage(25,000 per year) great. There is a ton of money in coral gables- mostly wealthy latins and I think the public schools there are better. Also there is a private school in coraL GABLES CALLED THE GULLIVER SCHOOL WHERE MANY FAMOUS PEOPLE SEND THEIR KIDS-GOOD LUCK
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 AM
 
188 posts, read 537,559 times
Reputation: 58
My family was in the same situation 3 years ago that you are in now. My husband works in Coconut Grove. We looked in Coral Gables and the Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay area. In the end HE chose the commute and we live in Weston. My kids are in their teens so we were focusing on high schools. There is a big difference from living in Miami/Dad vs Broward. After working, shopping, and just generally getting around before we came down, he knew he did not want to work and live in Miami.
Once the boys and I came down I felt the same way. I think it all comes down to what type of atmosphere you are used to living in. If you used to city life, the Miami area will be fine. If you are used to suburbia, then Broward will work. Good luck with your move. It will all go well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Denver
204 posts, read 522,359 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
My family was in the same situation 3 years ago that you are in now. My husband works in Coconut Grove. We looked in Coral Gables and the Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay area. In the end HE chose the commute and we live in Weston. My kids are in their teens so we were focusing on high schools. There is a big difference from living in Miami/Dad vs Broward. After working, shopping, and just generally getting around before we came down, he knew he did not want to work and live in Miami.
Once the boys and I came down I felt the same way. I think it all comes down to what type of atmosphere you are used to living in. If you used to city life, the Miami area will be fine. If you are used to suburbia, then Broward will work. Good luck with your move. It will all go well.
Thanks for your insight! We're kind of in the middle between city and suburbia. My husband does not like the idea of being in the car for an hour each way, and with 2 small kids I would like him to get home before 8pm every night. I guess we're just going to have to visit and see what suits us best. We will be renting since we cannot sell our house in Atlanta, so that gives us some flexibility to move around if we change our minds in the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
 
188 posts, read 537,559 times
Reputation: 58
Oh you are so right. If my kids were little and I knew that they would go to a private school in middle and high school there is no way I would want my husband to commute. I would want him home ASAP!
You seem to be looking in the right places for families. I am sure in time you will find a great area. I loved the Village of Palmetto Bay. We found a few houses that we liked. In the end we just couldn't do it and needed to stay in our comfort zone. But once the kids are in college.....I'm moving south!
Good luck and welcome to South Florida!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Denver
204 posts, read 522,359 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
Oh you are so right. If my kids were little and I knew that they would go to a private school in middle and high school there is no way I would want my husband to commute. I would want him home ASAP!
You seem to be looking in the right places for families. I am sure in time you will find a great area. I loved the Village of Palmetto Bay. We found a few houses that we liked. In the end we just couldn't do it and needed to stay in our comfort zone. But once the kids are in college.....I'm moving south!
Good luck and welcome to South Florida!
Thanks for the reassurance - I think that's what we're going to do!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top