Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 40,348 times

Advertisements

Hello, would it be feasible to commute from Fort Lauderdale to Miami Beach? I'm considering some employment leads and would like to know what people think about this commute. If it's under an hour, or just about an hour, I would consider it. I would be relocating to Florida so I'm not sure of the traffic patterns down there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
It depends on which part of Miami Beach your job is in and if you live in the City of Fort Lauderdale or a suburb. It also depends on what time of day you will be commuting. Are you set on living in the city of Fort Lauderdale? If so, why? You could live further south and be closer to your job.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 PM

11 posts, read 22,215 times
I think it's approx 30 mins.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandray View Post
I think it's approx 30 mins.
Not during rush hours. It depends which part of Miami Beach. The traffic on I-95 is brutal.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
It depends on which part of Miami Beach your job is in and if you live in the City of Fort Lauderdale or a suburb. It also depends on what time of day you will be commuting. Are you set on living in the city of Fort Lauderdale? If so, why? You could live further south and be closer to your job.

Nolefan: Thanks for the input. The job would be in the Lincoln Road area and I would live in the downtown Ft. Lauderdale/Las Olas area. I'm imagining it would be from 9-10ish until 6-7ish.

As for why I am set on Fort Lauderdale... I'm actually not entirely set on Fort Lauderdale, but it seems like an attractive option. Long story short, my girlfriend and I (lesbians) may be moving down to South Florida from NYC. I posted approximately two weeks ago in the Miami forum and asked about various gay-friendly areas and a lot of people suggested Fort Lauderdale. I was really unaware of how gay-friendly Fort Lauderdale seems to be -- possibly more so than Miami? It's all very up in the air right now - neither of us has secured a job yet but we will be looking in both the Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas. However, I might be able to work a solid connection in the Miami Beach location and so I was curious about the commute.

On a somewhat related subject: Most of the advice given on the forum about gay-friendly neighborhoods seems to skew towards gay males. I'm getting the feeling that the lesbian population isn't quite as large -- or maybe just low-key? It would be nice if there were a few other lesbians around. We're both in our early 30's and may choose to have kids in the next few years, if that changes anything. Brickell seems like a decent option to rent for a year, but doesn't seem like a place for settling down.

Thanks for any input you may provide.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 AM

holmesNY-

I know nothing about the lesbian community vs. gay community issue.

But regarding the commute, it is BRUTAL. It takes closer to 1 hour during the times you'll be commuting. At night or during the middle of the day you can do it in 30 minutes but not during rush hours. I know you're from NYC and you've seen it all traffic wise. So maybe it comes easier to you. But I-95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami is a rough stretch. The traffic settles down a bit after 9:30 A.M., but you'll probably have to leave by 9 in order to make it to work on time. 6-7ish can be bad at times, but is not as bad as 5-6.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
holmesNY-

I know nothing about the lesbian community vs. gay community issue.

But regarding the commute, it is BRUTAL. It takes closer to 1 hour during the times you'll be commuting. At night or during the middle of the day you can do it in 30 minutes but not during rush hours. I know you're from NYC and you've seen it all traffic wise. So maybe it comes easier to you. But I-95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami is a rough stretch. The traffic settles down a bit after 9:30 A.M., but you'll probably have to leave by 9 in order to make it to work on time. 6-7ish can be bad at times, but is not as bad as 5-6.

Thanks for the insight. It actually sounds quite similar to the Long Island <--> NYC commute. Meaning, it doesn't sound crazy in comparison to the traffic in the NYC metro area, but nevertheless, it's not enjoyable. I will keep this in mind. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,161 times
The LGBT is reasonably well represented in Wilton Manors, but the "L" (and the B and T) groups are certainly lesser in number and profile.........but isn't that the case everywhere?

The early "settlers" of Wilton Manors were transplants from South Beach once the prices in SB escalated early to mid 90s.

Now, what you are seeing is Oakland Park becoming the next step as Wilton prices up (relative to current market conditions).

I agree 7-9:30 and 4-7 is terrible on 95.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM

homesNY-

Sort of. The traffic isn't as bad in the Fort Lauderdale area. But it gets worse and worse as you approach Miami. I-95 in Miami from the Broward County line down to downtown is typically completely stopped during morning rush hour as you're heading into the city.

I think the Long Island Expressway heading towards NYC is worse, but some days I-95 can be just as bad as the L.I.E.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,599 times
I used to commute from Hollywood (20th Ave) to Lincoln Road. It wasn't that bad, 30 minutes or so. But I also wasn't driving during rush hour. They do have the express lanes now, if you don't mind paying the toll on express, then rush hour won't be much of a problem. If you are ok with driving for an hour, I think you'll be just fine with the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area