Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 AM

11 posts, read 38,695 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I am moving to Fort Lauderdale area. I am not too familiar with the area. I am a Canadian, I will be moving with my girlfriend. We are in our late 20's. I have a job lined up.

Presently we live in a very chilled out beach area in Australia (Sunshine Coast). We are looking for something similar. A place that is close to the beach, laid back, lots of young professionals, not an over priced expansive cost of living and stuff to do outdoors. Anywhere north or south of Fort Lauderdale. I have heard about Del Ray being a bit like my description. Is that true?

Thanks so much, any information is greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
What is your housing budget and will you commute to work? If so where?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Sorry, Should have mentioned that. I work from home, so no commute. I am not really a flashy person so paying $1100-$1400 for rent will be about right....

Thanks so much!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniLew View Post
A place that is close to the beach, laid back, lots of young professionals, not an over priced expansive cost of living
Close to the beach, young professionals - tons of places in Ft Lauderdale offer this

laid back, reasonable cost - not available anywhere in South Florida

Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniLew View Post
Hey all!

I am moving to Fort Lauderdale area. I am not too familiar with the area. I am a Canadian, I will be moving with my girlfriend. We are in our late 20's. I have a job lined up.

Presently we live in a very chilled out beach area in Australia (Sunshine Coast). We are looking for something similar. A place that is close to the beach, laid back, lots of young professionals, not an over priced expansive cost of living and stuff to do outdoors. Anywhere north or south of Fort Lauderdale. I have heard about Del Ray being a bit like my description. Is that true?

Thanks so much, any information is greatly appreciated...
South Florida is not laid back.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Close to the beach, young professionals - tons of places in Ft Lauderdale offer this

laid back, reasonable cost - not available anywhere in South Florida
Great advice. Sorry but housings much more expensive here as far as what you're looking for. Imagine NYC prices down here. It's a VERY expensive Place to live. It's also not laid back and is known for low pay. I'm not trying to burst your bubble. Just being honest. You really need to make 6 figures - at least to live here comfortably and safe... again - it's not laid back here either.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 08-15-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Appreciate all the information. What about north of fort lauderdale, like within an hour or so? ANything up there? or Lake communities inland within an hour of Fort Lauderdale. Appreciate all the honesty.

Thanks

Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Florida's expensive no matter where you go. Laid back? For now- Stuart might work. Again I feel bad delivering bad news. It's just not laid back and is extremely expensive. That's only in movies or when you're here on vacation

Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 PM

That it APPEARS laid back

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
The best thing to do is come and look around. You might like Jupiter or Hobe Sound, or you may find those are too quiet and far away from the action. Some people like the action and don't like off season, particularly younger, new residents. It's too quiet for many in the summer if if they don't know people.

Personally I like both the quiet areas and the fast areas; they each have a different charm. I think you'll meet more fulltime residents if you go a little inland vs. the coast, which is more glitzy and expensive and attracts the tourist crowd. Maybe someplace like Wellington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area