Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,301 times

Advertisements

My husband took a job in the Miami area. We are moving to Coral Springs from Horn Lake, MS. We breifly visited the area in Juky. We have rented a townhome for a year at Gables San Remo. Anyone know anything about that place? Im so nervous. I have 3 boys in grades 10, 8 and 4. I LOVE the schools. We visited them. I just need any info. We dont know a soul. We are all heart brokem and worried. Any good news here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM

924 posts, read 1,678,190 times
Coral Springs is a decent place to raise a family. We've been here since 1995. We've thought about moving a few times but everything here is so convenient for families with kids.

What kind of activities do your boys like?

What schools will they be attending?

Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM

THANK YOU! All the threads I have read about Coral Springs has been doom and gloom and it has scared me to death. My oldest plays baseball (catcher) on the varsity team at his HS right now and will be attending Coral Glades High and will be playing baseball for them. My middle son plays baseball as well (not like my oldest) and played hockey for 5 years. I think his school is Sawgrass middle. My yongest has not found an interest yet and his school is the only one we did not visit.

Do you have any info about anything you want to share? We are your basic middle class family. Nothing fancy and dont care about keeping up with the Jones's.

I am looking for gainful employment. I have a degree in business and a minor in health science. I have owned my own cleaning business and will be giving that up for my husbands job. I just dont even know where to begin.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM

164 posts, read 374,619 times
Coral Springs is one of the only remaining cities in Broward that is suitable for raising a family (and sending kids to good schools). You'll be fine.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 AM

924 posts, read 1,678,190 times
No reason for doom and gloom. It will be different from what you are used to, but there are plenty of good people and activities for kids here.

Sports are very popular here. If your middle son wants to get back into hockey, you are going to be right near Incredible Ice. I don't know if you saw it during your visit, but it's a nice facility that offers hockey, skating and even curling. The Florida Panthers practice there. For other sports, the city runs pretty good programs. You could check into them on the City's website - I think it's Coral Springs.org. It would be a good way for not just your youngest, but for you as well to meet people and get a feel for the city.

You will not be far from the Performing Arts Center to maybe see some shows, and they offer art lessons - another activity maybe your youngest would want to try. There are also a couple of good music schools in the area that offer lessons. Kids involved in music lessons and/or band at school tend to make a lot of friends from across the area through those connections.

The Northwest Regional Library (part of the Broward County Library system) is also not far from where you will be. It shares space with the Coral Springs Charter School (6-12) so if you are not happy with the schools you are zoned for, trying to get in there would be a possibility. I don't think they are big on sports, though.

As far as you working, the Coral Springs Medical Center is nearby and there are many doctor's offices and medical practices in the immediate area - not sure if that's what you are looking for but that's what it sounded like given your background.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM

Dragonmam! Thank you soooooooo much for all that information!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM

216 posts, read 438,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lythkk View Post
THANK YOU! All the threads I have read about Coral Springs has been doom and gloom and it has scared me to death. My oldest plays baseball (catcher) on the varsity team at his HS right now and will be attending Coral Glades High and will be playing baseball for them. My middle son plays baseball as well (not like my oldest) and played hockey for 5 years. I think his school is Sawgrass middle. My yongest has not found an interest yet and his school is the only one we did not visit.

Do you have any info about anything you want to share? We are your basic middle class family. Nothing fancy and dont care about keeping up with the Jones's.

I am looking for gainful employment. I have a degree in business and a minor in health science. I have owned my own cleaning business and will be giving that up for my husbands job. I just dont even know where to begin.
I think you'll like Coral Springs, although the commute is going to be pretty significant for your hubby. I think Coral Springs has a lot to offer for families, especially the huge community center, parks, sports fields and other amenities. It will be a culture shock for you, but I think you'll enjoy all the options your family will have for activities and recreation, the beach, trips to the Keys or Orlando, etc. Just some things to look forward to. Good luck with your move

Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM

56 posts, read 125,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lythkk View Post

You'll be practically living next door to a Burger King and KFC, what more could you want from life? Seriously though, Coral Springs actually has quite a few great restaurants and it certainly does not suffer from a lack of Publix Grocery Stores. If you want my restaurant recommendations please let me know.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,475,304 times
Coral Springs is overall a very nice suburb. There are a few sketchy areas on the southern edge where it borders with Tamarac, but that's about it. Make sure to get a Sunpass though because your husband will be using the Sawgrass Expressway often.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Coral Springs is overall a very nice suburb. There are a few sketchy areas on the southern edge where it borders with Tamarac, but that's about it. Make sure to get a Sunpass though because your husband will be using the Sawgrass Expressway often.
I believe you, but where do you know of any sketchy areas near the Tamarac border? The southern edges are mostly well maintained 80s style tract homes with tree lined streets, and if anything one of the nicer parts of Coral Springs. Most sketchy areas of Coral Springs tend to be around Sample Rd, especially around Riverside Drive going north of Sample, or going up and down Coral Springs Drive or Coral Ridge Drive between Royal Palm Blvd and Wiles Rd. Basically, don't rent an apartment within a few blocks of Sample and you will be fine and even in that area there isn't really anything to be afraid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area