Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,825 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am trying to do my due diligence and research everything about the Fort Lauderdale area.
From that research alone, my brain wants to implode.

Anywho,
I am potentially relocating from Ohio, Cleveland area to be exact.

I'm 24 and I'm single. I have lived in a studio apartment in the past and really want the space of a 1 bedroom and 1 bath.

I'm fully aware of the heat, the humidity, the crime, and the cost of living. Those items I understand. Unfortunately as a young professional, I'm not exactly made of money and it looks like rent and and/or some places are going to get me killed (or at least it feels that way).

The areas I have been researching include:
-Davie
-Coral Springs
-Weston
-Cooper City

Those areas seem to have somewhat reasonable commute to work (30-45 minutes) and have been generally recommended by other forum members on here in past threads.

I would like some information and help with just areas, rental agencies, etc that people would recommend for a young professional that may move to Broward.

I really want to accept the job offer, but I need a place to live before I can work. Preferably a relatively safe place to live, so I can make it to work.

On a side note, what is this whole "Income guideline/restriction" thing? If I make over x amount I can't live there?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM

5,026 posts, read 7,476,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27 View Post
On a side note, what is this whole "Income guideline/restriction" thing? If I make over x amount I can't live there?
You are correct.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM

5,026 posts, read 7,476,917 times
Where will you be working?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,490,999 times
I would recommend Davie, Plantation, and Sunrise above all others. Weston and Coral Springs are too far west away from the beaches. Cooper City is more of a boring family area without as many apartment complexes. What is your max budget for rent? It also depends where your job is located. All things equal, you will want to be a shorter commute rather than a long one.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
You are correct.
We don't have that kind of craziness up north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Where will you be working?
Broward County Sheriff's Office
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I would recommend Davie, Plantation, and Sunrise above all others. Weston and Coral Springs are too far west away from the beaches. Cooper City is more of a boring family area without as many apartment complexes. What is your max budget for rent? It also depends where your job is located. All things equal, you will want to be a shorter commute rather than a long one.
I want to spend about $600 in rent. Apparently that amount is a pipe dream. I found a nice little place in Laduerhill for $625... appliance included a hot plate and a toaster oven.
One place that looks very appealing is progresso point, but that restriction guideline prevents me from even considering it.
I think my realistic number is somewhere around the $900 mark.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,150,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27 View Post
We don't have that kind of craziness up north.

Broward County Sheriff's Office

I want to spend about $600 in rent. Apparently that amount is a pipe dream. I found a nice little place in Laduerhill for $625... appliance included a hot plate and a toaster oven.
One place that looks very appealing is progresso point, but that restriction guideline prevents me from even considering it.
I think my realistic number is somewhere around the $900 mark.
If you only want to spend $600 a month in rent you'll either have to have multiple roomates or sleep with a gun under your pillow. The bad/cheap parts of town can be very bad.

With your age, I'd go the mutliple roomates route.

Another thing is that when people in nice neighborhoods want to rent out a pool house or garage apartment, they usually don't advertise but put a sign by the road.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 PM

984 posts, read 4,328,025 times
It's gonna be difficult to find somewhere decent with that budget; but it is possible, definitely. I would try something like a studio (or a small 1bd/1ba) maybe in Fort Lauderdale (in the Downtown area or - preferably - east of it) itself, possibly Hallandale Beach (east of US-1), or try to find something in a decent complex in the suburbs (the central and west bits of Davie and Plantation, which are pretty good areas overall).

Also consider getting a roommate, that way you would be able to get something better and even probably not as expensive.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM

91 posts, read 219,796 times
Dont count out Coconut Creek, people on here do not bring it up much on here, but the northern half is really nice. Look around Sample/Lions in the townships. Not sure if you can find something small enough though. I like it much better than Coral Springs.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM

153 posts, read 249,462 times
A room for rent in a private home is the way to go when you're trying to find your place in the area. I did that and had a nice room in a decent neighborhood with a backyard pool for 500/month. You have to search a little for a compatible housemate, but it can be done. You can live within your budget and have a nice place...hopefully, make new friends. Only looking to rent/buy when you first arrive is very stressful. In my case, the room rental situation allowed me to get out quickly when I decided South Florida wasn't for me.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM

58 posts, read 109,435 times
Davie/Plantation is a great area that is close to I-595. Nova Southeastern University (which also has professional programs - a medical, pharmacy, dental, optometry, law school) is located in Davie, so there are lots of young students/professionals associated with the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area