Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. We have narrowed our search to the Las Olas/Ft. Lauderdale area oddly enough. It's not ideal for our needs, but no place was. However, it meets most of our criteria. Can anyone provide any advice about schools in this region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
public or private?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. We have narrowed our search to the Las Olas/Ft. Lauderdale area oddly enough. It's not ideal for our needs, but no place was. However, it meets most of our criteria. Can anyone provide any advice about schools in this region?
I wouldn't raise a puppy in that neighborhood, let alone children.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
public or private?
private

Not looking for a world class school but just something nice near the area.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM

222 posts, read 382,721 times
It's a problem. Honestly, if I were to live there I'd get a house zoned for Virginia Shuman Young (montessori magnet that also takes all kids within a small zone) - although it has the funding problems of public, it's an excellent school with very active parents and very dedicated faculty. Harbordale is also pretty good, but the middle school options are pretty awful. A lot of parents in that area choose St. Anthony's Catholic but I don't think it's stellar, just decent and a very strong neighborhood community - that goes through 8th grade. There are other small Christian schools like Bethany nearby, don't know a ton about those. And a lot drive 20 minutes to either University School in Davie or Pine Crest (both are 20,000 a year plus and excellent) or up to St. Mark's Episcopal on Oakland Park Blvd (meh) or Christ Church school (Methodist, very good) on Commercial.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
If I could, I would go to the Pine Crest school. But it is not exactly around the corner.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butercup View Post
It's a problem. Honestly, if I were to live there I'd get a house zoned for Virginia Shuman Young (montessori magnet that also takes all kids within a small zone) - although it has the funding problems of public, it's an excellent school with very active parents and very dedicated faculty. Harbordale is also pretty good, but the middle school options are pretty awful. A lot of parents in that area choose St. Anthony's Catholic but I don't think it's stellar, just decent and a very strong neighborhood community - that goes through 8th grade. There are other small Christian schools like Bethany nearby, don't know a ton about those. And a lot drive 20 minutes to either University School in Davie or Pine Crest (both are 20,000 a year plus and excellent) or up to St. Mark's Episcopal on Oakland Park Blvd (meh) or Christ Church school (Methodist, very good) on Commercial.
Virginia Shuman Young is one we are looking at for our youngest. I've heard amazing things about it.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM

164 posts, read 374,458 times
Bayview Elementary is also very good. I'm not sure what areas are zoned for it besides Coral Ridge.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Overall, I'm impressed with the number of good schools in this area. Many of which are walking distance. People made it seem like you are only privy to bad schools if you live in this area and it's the complete. If you go to Greatschools.org, there are many in this area. And in my experience, greatschools tends to be fairly accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area