Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM

356 posts, read 1,269,084 times

Advertisements

omg I love it here.. LOVE IT.. the weather is great, there is so much to do, i love my kids school, i talk to people all over the country and whenever they complain about anything I tell them they should move here..
people love to complain.. If you like warm and you make good money (cause you kind of need it for a nice house and to do fun things, then you will love it here)

I hear people complain that people are not nice here.. but i am nice to people and people are nice right back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM

32 posts, read 65,005 times
Me and my wife hate it here. We can't wait to leave. It's a rat race. New York south combined with 3rd world immigrants. It's expensive, no middle class and people are rude. Driving here is nuts.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
Me and my wife hate it here. We can't wait to leave. It's a rat race. New York south combined with 3rd world immigrants. It's expensive, no middle class and people are rude. Driving here is nuts.
I agree with this poster--South FL is a hellhole filled with New Yorkers and third world immigrants, mostly from Cuba, Haiti, and Jamaica. Salaries are low and, in turn, disproportionate to the very high COL. The middle class is virtually non-existent, and well-paying jobs in the professional services sector are scarce. It's almost scary how few corporate HQ's and regional offices there are in South Florida, especially given that it's one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. In turn, there's a very pervasive anti-intellectual mentality, which goes hand-in-hand with the "tough" persona most people in South FL strive for. It seems like everyone down there tries their hardest to be shrewd, ghetto, rude, or have some type "get-out-of-my-way" attitude/mentality. Also, people in South FL are always trying to one-up each other--live in a bigger home, have a hotter wife, drive a more expensive car, beat you to the stoplight, cut you off in traffic at the last minute without using turn signals, etc.

Auto insurance is through the roof, mostly due to white-haired retirees and snowbirds; tourists who don't know their way around town; uninsured motorists; people from lawless third-world countries who don't take the time to learn the rules of the road in the US; and transplanted New Yorkers in their 40's and 50's who have never even operated a motor vehicle before moving down and drive like 16-year-old boys. FWIW, there are some auto insurance companies that don't even write policies for residents of Miami-Dade County anymore. And don't even get me started on homeowners insurance and property taxes, which are also through the roof--so much for no state income tax.

Gasoline is expensive as is produce. You would think that the warmest major metropolitan area in the continental United States with a huge agricultural industry would at least have decent produce, right? Think again--produce is disgusting in South FL, and it's usually almost wilted by the time it makes it to grocery store shelves. Publix, the only major grocery store chain in FL, is horrendous, even though people in FL, for some bizarre reason or another, will rave about Publix like it's the second coming. My guess is that most don't know any better, but if you're used to shopping at Wegman's, Sprouts, Harris Teeter, Flagship Randalls, or some other high-end and/or high-quality grocery store, Publix will be a rude awakening. Oh, yeah--no Trader Joe's in South FL either.

Competition for low-wage, unskilled jobs is fierce. Also, it's not the norm to be offered health benefits through your employer in FL as it is in just about every other state. Surprisingly, many office workers in FL have no health insurance. In most states (CA, NY, TX, etc.), it's a given that health insurance is offered, especially in an office-type setting. Even more disturbing, CNA's--who work with the sick and elderly and subject themselves to illness every day in hospitals and nursing homes--have no health insurance.

On a final note, as a white male, I found South FL a rather difficult place to live--lots of reverse racism and racial strife, tons of angry minorities (and angry people in general), lots of thuggish types, etc. South FL is a very ghetto place, which IMO, makes it a really lousy place to raise a family. The creepy/bizarre criminal element in addition to the hordes of shady transients from the world over detract from the area's family-friendless as well.

But it doesn't snow.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I agree with this poster--South FL is a hellhole filled with New Yorkers and third world immigrants, mostly from Cuba, Haiti, and Jamaica. Salaries are low and, in turn, disproportionate to the very high COL. The middle class is virtually non-existent, and well-paying jobs in the professional services sector are scarce. It's almost scary how few corporate HQ's and regional offices there are in South Florida, especially given that it's one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. In turn, there's a very pervasive anti-intellectual mentality, which goes hand-in-hand with the "tough" persona most people in South FL strive for. It seems like everyone down there tries their hardest to be shrewd, ghetto, rude, or have some type "get-out-of-my-way" attitude/mentality. Also, people in South FL are always trying to one-up each other--live in a bigger home, have a hotter wife, drive a more expensive car, beat you to the stoplight, cut you off in traffic at the last minute without using turn signals, etc.

Auto insurance is through the roof, mostly due to white-haired retirees and snowbirds; tourists who don't know their way around town; uninsured motorists; people from lawless third-world countries who don't take the time to learn the rules of the road in the US; and transplanted New Yorkers in their 40's and 50's who have never even operated a motor vehicle before moving down and drive like 16-year-old boys. FWIW, there are some auto insurance companies that don't even write policies for residents of Miami-Dade County anymore. And don't even get me started on homeowners insurance and property taxes, which are also through the roof--so much for no state income tax.

Gasoline is expensive as is produce. You would think that the warmest major metropolitan area in the continental United States with a huge agricultural industry would at least have decent produce, right? Think again--produce is disgusting in South FL, and it's usually almost wilted by the time it makes it to grocery store shelves. Publix, the only major grocery store chain in FL, is horrendous, even though people in FL, for some bizarre reason or another, will rave about Publix like it's the second coming. My guess is that most don't know any better, but if you're used to shopping at Wegman's, Sprouts, Harris Teeter, Flagship Randalls, or some other high-end and/or high-quality grocery store, Publix will be a rude awakening. Oh, yeah--no Trader Joe's in South FL either.

Competition for low-wage, unskilled jobs is fierce. Also, it's not the norm to be offered health benefits through your employer in FL as it is in just about every other state. Surprisingly, many office workers in FL have no health insurance. In most states (CA, NY, TX, etc.), it's a given that health insurance is offered, especially in an office-type setting. Even more disturbing, CNA's--who work with the sick and elderly and subject themselves to illness every day in hospitals and nursing homes--have no health insurance.

On a final note, as a white male, I found South FL a rather difficult place to live--lots of reverse racism and racial strife, tons of angry minorities (and angry people in general), lots of thuggish types, etc. South FL is a very ghetto place, which IMO, makes it a really lousy place to raise a family. The creepy/bizarre criminal element in addition to the hordes of shady transients from the world over detract from the area's family-friendless as well.

But it doesn't snow.
You're wrong on so many point here.
First of all there is indeed Trader Joe's in south FL.
Was at one on friday.

Also, you lement the fact that cuz you're a white man you find it difficult to live in south FL because of "reverse racism".... Which is also not true.
I am a white man and have found your posts about racial strife, etc laughable. I've never encountered racial strife or racists attitudes in south FL. You must be imgaining it or you yourself are a racist.
Also, I work in an office and I do get health insurance so your claim that employees don't get health insurance is also false. Completely wrong.

"creepy/bizarre element" of south FL?
dude, u attract what u are, dont flame south FL for that.

Gasoline in not that expensive.
I have a decent paying job and part of the middle class in south FL.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
LOL @ " hellhole filled with New Yorkers"

So NY itself is a bigger hellhole then?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

But it doesn't snow.
Wow, if i didn't know any better I would be afraid to step foot into south FL after reading this...

Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:

I would not live near the rat hole myself.

Miami is one of the cities in America least like America.

When you said 3rd world you speak the truth.

Finding a real American who speaks English and can read English is a rare thing in that area.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM

50 posts, read 85,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
You're wrong on so many point here.
First of all there is indeed Trader Joe's in south FL.
Was at one on friday.

Also, you lement the fact that cuz you're a white man you find it difficult to live in south FL because of "reverse racism".... Which is also not true.
I am a white man and have found your posts about racial strife, etc laughable. I've never encountered racial strife or racists attitudes in south FL. You must be imgaining it or you yourself are a racist.
Also, I work in an office and I do get health insurance so your claim that employees don't get health insurance is also false. Completely wrong.

"creepy/bizarre element" of south FL?
dude, u attract what u are, dont flame south FL for that.

Gasoline in not that expensive.
I have a decent paying job and part of the middle class in south FL.
He might not be imaging it.

We were with my daughter at TY Park in Hollywood. She is two. A grade-school aged African-American girl announced to her friends that they should play "push the white girl," which apparently referred to my toddler (we are Anglophone Hispanics, for what it is worth). They laughed when my wife told them it is not nice to push other people and proceeded to push her down (I was busy climbing the equipment to go pick her up).

In such a demographically diverse area I expect my daughter to have negative experiences with all sorts of people - there are jerks of all colors, creeds, and backgrounds in this world-, but I never expected such an open display of racial bullying at a county park.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I would not live near the rat hole myself.

Miami is one of the cities in America least like America.

When you said 3rd world you speak the truth.

Finding a real American who speaks English and can read English is a rare thing in that area.
Well, it comes down to this.

Do people want to live in a racist area, or an international one.

For me, I much prefer the international one.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times
Quote:
As a New Yorker, you really need to shut the h_ll up! I think you also have a bigger problem than being in south Florida, bigot or racist come to mind! Now go back to watching "Swamp People"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area