Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:33 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,935,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
if its so horrible to live here than why is metro miami like the 3rd or 4th most populated metro area? exactly.

Who are all these ppl tho? Quality over quantity, no?

OP, dont do it, dont give up the great quality of life to move to a dump like South FL because you like warm weather. Trust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Boy will you be sorry. After 32 years in Fort Lauderdale, we moved up to Raleigh. No way in $*#@ would I ever move back there.

It's hot year round with very little break. Every day, every single day from late April through early-to-mid October will be hot and humid.

You'll miss the seasons, the polite drivers and the good manners. FLL will be a helluva shock for someone coming from Raleigh.

YES! Exactly. I am a S FL native, lived there and Central FL as well as Asheville NC. Don't do it.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
YES! Exactly. I am a S FL native, lived there and Central FL as well as Asheville NC. Don't do it.
I agree 100% - for the sake of your children, please don't move there. I lived there for a dozen years, and trust me, it's NO place to raise a family. Raleigh is a darned fine place to raise a family, so I'd just stay put. You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,204,745 times
It's rather easy to compare Raleigh versus Fort Lauderdale as they are both large cities -- google is your friend. My search showed that Fort Lauderdale has a 20% higher cost of living versus Raleigh, and that housing is about 30% higher. Violent crime is also 20% higher in Fort Lauderdale versus Raleigh and property crime is 30% higher.

The advice you have received from people on this forum supports these numbers. Only you can decide if it is worth relocating for the warmer weather, and if you and your family will be able to maintain your standard of living down here. It's good that you both have jobs that are fairly portable, but if you are not going to be earning about 30% more down here than what you'd earn in NC, then our sunshine will cost you dearly.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:29 PM

734 posts, read 922,013 times
I sincerely hope you change your mind and remain in Raleigh.... or at the very least research other cities in FL.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:26 PM

167 posts, read 246,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Who are all these ppl tho? Quality over quantity, no?

OP, dont do it, dont give up the great quality of life to move to a dump like South FL because you like warm weather. Trust me!
First of all, if you're so smart stop referring to metro Miami as South Florida. South Florida is not metro Miami, South Florida is metro Miami, the Keys and a few counties north of Palm Beach.

Second of all, just because Ft. Lauderdale is crappie doesn't mean all of metro Miami is. Brickell is amazing. Pretty much all of Downtown and surrounding areas are amazing, Downtown, Brickell, Midtown, etc. Coral Gables is nice. Miami Beach is nice. Sunny Isles is nice. Aventura is nice. Pinecrest, Boca, Parkland, Coconut Creek and so much more.

Also, there's a lot of amazing people who live here, as well as not amazing people, just like any other major metro area and pretty much everywhere else in the country. Try again, that was not even a good try.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:50 PM

389 posts, read 663,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
It's rather easy to compare Raleigh versus Fort Lauderdale as they are both large cities -- google is your friend. My search showed that Fort Lauderdale has a 20% higher cost of living versus Raleigh, and that housing is about 30% higher. Violent crime is also 20% higher in Fort Lauderdale versus Raleigh and property crime is 30% higher.

The advice you have received from people on this forum supports these numbers. Only you can decide if it is worth relocating for the warmer weather, and if you and your family will be able to maintain your standard of living down here. It's good that you both have jobs that are fairly portable, but if you are not going to be earning about 30% more down here than what you'd earn in NC, then our sunshine will cost you dearly.
My advice is to weigh the above post heavily when making your decision.

Warm weather and proximity to the ocean certainly shouldn't the sole reasons you'd move to a place. There are other warm-weather communities near the ocean, in Florida and other states, that might fit your needs better.

And for the record, I am not a Fort Lauderdale/Broward basher/trasher. I think there's a positive side to living here and often say so -- but the area is not for everyone. Families with children should be particularly careful.

Unless you have lucrative job opportunities here, or have a sizable chunk of family money (my wife and I sometimes joke that the Bureau of Labor Statistics should list "Trust Fund Baby" as an occupational category in South Florida), it might be a struggle to find an affordable, relatively crime-free area with good schools.

To provide an example: A former co-worker, his wife and their two kids live in one of the more family-friendly western suburbs of Fort Lauderdale. The house is a nice 3/2, but certainly not upscale by South Florida standards. Similar, neighboring homes are selling for about $300K-325K. My friend and his wife both work and probably earn a combined $125K. I think that's a reasonable gauge of what it will take for you to have a similar lifestyle here.

Also bear in mind that this is a metro area with almost 6 million people, with all the advantages -- and disadvantages -- of similar-size areas.

Finally, if you are not comfortable coexisting around people of different races, ethnicities, languages, creeds, sexual orientations, etc., you'll probably be more comfortable somewhere else. I'll occasionally hear someone, after a few drinks, say there's a need to "take back Broward County." Well, that train left the station a long time ago.

Last edited by Papillons2; 11-03-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM

^^^ ok, we'll see if anyone supports what you say, or goes along with me, like they have in the previous posts in this thread.

of course there are some nice areas and some friendly ppl, but it's not the general rule. raleigh is much nicer and in every way. i would never persuade someone to leave a place like raleigh for ft lauderdale. plus, she is asking about ft lauderdale, not brickell or coral gables.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM

167 posts, read 246,874 times
^ You were referring to metro Miami (even though you called it South Florida) when you said those things.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:31 PM

351 posts, read 461,389 times
I moved from the Tundra-boring-town of Richmond, VA to Weston, FL and love it.

Don't pay attention to all those freezing their *****e$ up north. Come to South Florida and see it for yourself and then draw your own conclusions.

Weston, FL is always on top of the list of safest cities in the U.S. - I don't see Raleigh anywhere by the way

Here is a link:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Compare this:

To this:

Even the South Florida metro area is ranked better than Raleigh:

Full List: America's Safest Cities - Forbes

Now, take a look at this link:
20 Safest Cities in Florida: Safest Places to Live in FL | Safe Choice Security News

Come down to Weston and I'll show you what I'm talking about and what those hybernators don't want you to see cuz they don't want to feel alone in their boring towns, plus they need you up there to pay taxes for them.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2014 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area