Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post

Was that a real picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Was that a real picture?
I thought I had deleted this it was to be a Youtube video of Fort Lauderdale as this a plan for a brand new Amtrak rail station to open in Miami in March 2015, I believe near the airport.

More news :http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...supertower.php

Last edited by perry335654; 11-06-2014 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 05:31 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMWB8q6grLM

Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 PM

33 posts, read 36,672 times
I lived in both Raleigh & Ft. Lauderdale. If you have kids DO NOT MOVE to Ft.Lauderdale, PERIOD

Old 11-09-2014, 07:57 PM

^^^.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 AM

438 posts, read 653,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighwife&mom View Post
Hi,
...Please, give me your most honest opinion (good and bad), that will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't do it if I were you. But, if you REALLY want to move to Florida to be near the beach and to avoid winters you might want to consider moving to an area further north of Ft. Lauderdale---much further north.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:36 AM

596 posts, read 1,239,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighwife&mom View Post
Hi,

I am a mom of 3 small children currently living in Raleigh, North Carolina. My husband and I are in our mid 30s and our oldest started kindergarten this year, the second one will start pre-k next year and the third is still a baby. Raleigh is nice and has great schools; the reason we are thinking relocation is to be near the ocean and have warmer weather year-round. I want to know how is Fort Lauderdale for families, how are crime rates, schools and overall living for a family. I'm a telecommuter so I will keep my job wherever I go and my husband is a mechanic which makes it easy for him to find jobs pretty much anywhere. I have never lived in Florida; although I have visited Miami and other towns, but never been in Fort Lauderdale. I hear a lot of contradictory information, so I'm trying to hear from people actually living there. I'm specially concern about crime and schools since those are things that are really good here and that I really like about Raleigh. Please, give me your most honest opinion (good and bad), that will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Hi, we too are looking to return to Fl for hopefully the 3rd and final time ! (If we can ever sell our house in Willow Spring) We have raised both our children in the Ft Lauderdale area, (one of which is having our first grandchild) it was a much nicer place to live when we first moved down there in the late 70's, (from NYC) we have seen it grow beyond belief, along with growth came the problems that go hand in hand, including over-crowded, very bi-lingual, expensive in some cases, etc. hence 7 years ago moved to the Raleigh area, only to want to move back to Fl to be closer to our daughter & soon to be grandson, (that never left Fl.)
We will not be moving back to Broward County ( Ft Laud.) but rather St. lucie country or north of that ( what is called the Treasure Coast, of further north the Spacecoast)
I can't speak for the school system there anymore having been so long since our kids finished, but the public schools were not the greatest, we sent our kids to Catholic High School, just to give you an idea of what we went through. I hardly think it has gotten any better.
I would definitely check out other counties north of Broward, I know that Martin county near (Palm City, Stuart etc.) have better schools, guess you need to do your homework on this one, as I feel you may have your work cut out for you.... Wishing you the best of luck

Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM

438 posts, read 653,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Hi, we too are looking to return to Fl for hopefully the 3rd and final time ! (If we can ever sell our house in Willow Spring)

Please, if you don't mind, Willow Springs where? There are several of them. And what is it about there that makes you want to leave? I'm always curious to hear about the experiences of Floridians who moved away long ago and are planning to move back. I've thought about leaving Florida many times but I've found that I don't hate it enough to leave---even though I've traveled all over the place. I'm also looking at buying in the Martin/St. Lucie area/Indian River areas. .

Old 11-11-2014, 05:48 PM

OP, Raleigh is far better in all aspects. I dont suggest leaving there for Ft Lauderdale. Its not worth a little blit of cold weather (Raleigh is mild with 4 seasons).

Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Please, if you don't mind, Willow Springs where? There are several of them. And what is it about there that makes you want to leave? I'm always curious to hear about the experiences of Floridians who moved away long ago and are planning to move back. I've thought about leaving Florida many times but I've found that I don't hate it enough to leave---even though I've traveled all over the place. I'm also looking at buying in the Martin/St. Lucie area/Indian River areas. .
Hi, it's Willow Spring in Johnston county, we are about 15-20 miles south of Raleigh. It's country living here, farms all around our sub-division, including plenty of deer, fox's, coyote's, etc. it's pretty, but too rural for us, (the novelty wore off after a couple of years). I thought I missed the seasons, not so much anymore, (although Spring & Fall are beautiful with something to look forward to) I didn't do my homework well enough as far as how cold it can get here in the winter... Last year I totaled my truck on ice, In spite of waiting for the snow to melt, after that I said I am done with the cold etc. (though I was born & raised in NYC) As we get older I realize the cold is not for me anymore, we lived 30 yrs. in Fl (Broward county) and are going to be first time grandparents, and anxious to be closer to our daughter who is in Coral Springs. So as soon as we can find a buyer for our house, we are out of here ! We have also experienced the difficultly in making decent friends, seems like everyone just sticks to themselves, not sure if it's the area or just the times we live in?
So in 2005 after Hurricane Wilma, (ins. Doubled etc. damage to our home, etc.) we really had no reason to stay in Fl. Being empty nester's so decided to give someplace else another try, and now after 7 years here, are waiting to return to Fl for the 3rd and hopefully final time ! Either the Treasure Coast or Space Coast, maybe Central Fl.? Not sure yet, anyway that's my story.... Hope it answered your curiosity! Good luck to you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area