Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM

54 posts, read 338,030 times

Advertisements

In 2007, 118 people were slain in Broward County. The most since 1990, with 123. Nearly every victim was either shot or stabbed.

Read the entire article

Across Broward, homicides rose sharply last year -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

In Palm Beach County, with just 14 less than Broward, there were 104 confirmed homicides in 2007. Although there is still 221 bodies to be examined for cause of death, they are nearly all believed to be caused by drug overdose.

read the entire article

In Palm Beach County, homicides climb to record high -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Not sure about Miami yet, but when I get some info I'll update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Also notable is it's the first time in a few years that Broward exceeded Palm Beach in total homicides. Nasty year. Last years nasty year also had a nasty start, with the first homicide being a couple minutes after the new year, and one every day for two weeks straight. Most of the victims knew their killer and were engaged in domestic disputes, occurred in the drug scene, or occurred in transient motels, but a few were random robbery/homicides.

Do you think this year will be better? We are on the 6th and we still haven't had a confirmed homicide, although a suspicious body turned up at a rest area on Alligator Alley today, which may break our 6 day streak. That being said if we can go every 6-7 days we will be around to our (quite low) 2004/2003 rate in this size of an area. Regardless, I might head elsewhere this year, and events that occur here through 2008 in terms of crime which is tied to economics, political stability, type of immigration, migration trends, and many other variables. 2008 is a year to watch here, it's going to make or break Broward County.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM

to be honest, I really don't know what this year will be like. Police predict this trend to get worse for a few more years, so I guess we'll see where we're at around the end of January.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
to be honest, I really don't know what this year will be like. Police predict this trend to get worse for a few more years, so I guess we'll see where we're at around the end of January.
The economy and migration trends are going to play a huge role I think, considering theres really not much the police can do to prevent a homicide. If unemployment rises here rapidly as is happening nationwide and an outward migration starts to really effect our region, it definitely won't be pretty.

I personally don't see the car oriented society of Broward County (or the cities people are fleeing to for that matter like Atlanta and Charlotte) as being economically sustainable when you have oil prices reaching 100 dollars a barrel just at the beginning of the year. It's basically a suburban layout here. It sounds off topic, but the effect this will have on crime I think will be surprising. What happens when we can't afford to drive to work? Really the only truly sustainable way to live is in a dense, well planned, walkable city or on a farm.

As to what could happen to our public safety situation in the next 15 years, think anarchy...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-06-2008 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM

your right. I mean it's common sense. People will get so desperate for something they need, that they will get to a point where they will virtually do anything to get it.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times
Coconut Creek and Coral Springs still in the clear.....wonder how long that will last! Eek.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,699 times
Wow. Seeing the faces of the victims really adds a level of sadness to the numbers.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The economy and migration trends are going to play a huge role I think, considering theres really not much the police can do to prevent a homicide. If unemployment rises here rapidly as is happening nationwide and an outward migration starts to really effect our region, it definitely won't be pretty.

I personally don't see the car oriented society of Broward County (or the cities people are fleeing to for that matter like Atlanta and Charlotte) as being economically sustainable when you have oil prices reaching 100 dollars a barrel just at the beginning of the year. It's basically a suburban layout here. It sounds off topic, but the effect this will have on crime I think will be surprising. What happens when we can't afford to drive to work? Really the only truly sustainable way to live is in a dense, well planned, walkable city or on a farm.

As to what could happen to our public safety situation in the next 15 years, think anarchy...
the first part (outward migration) is already happening, thats according to some Broward County official that was on NPR a few months back. Friend of mine, her [SIZE=-1]fiancée[/SIZE] is a teacher and according to him enrollment is down in some schools, as much as 50% (this is unconfirmed, I am just regurgitating what i was told)

Also Atlanta and Charlotte both have a MUCH better mass transit system than South Florida. Atlanta has that metro and they are expanding it (they were rewarded grant money from the federal govt as well). Charlotte has been rolling out light rail so they are under way as well. It really boils down to how aggressive will they be at pursuing mass transit? The U.S. has about 22 yrs to figure something out, before things really get out of hand with travel and commuting. Any county not pursing mass transit aggressively at this point is going to be in for a real shock in a few years.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Coconut Creek and Coral Springs still in the clear.....wonder how long that will last! Eek.
No they aren't, Coral Springs reported 4. Only city spared was Cooper City, Wilton Manors, and (yes) Coconut Creek. 120 still isn't bad for Broward's size, but it has traditionally been way below average (yes, I can pull up old stats, calculate the rate per 100,000 and give the national rate if desired). That being said, 1 is way too many, and especially the story about the owner of the owner of the Chinese restaurant put a real sense of anger in me...

Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Do you think this year will be better? We are on the 6th and we still haven't had a confirmed homicide, although a suspicious body turned up at a rest area on Alligator Alley today, which may break our 6 day streak.
I guess the first official one was last night..a man was shot dead in Pompano

Man gunned down at Pompano restaurant -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area