Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:47 AM

55 posts, read 114,216 times

Advertisements

I am an 18 yr old student currently attending Saginaw Valley State University in Michigan. I was really interested in going to a Florida University but I was always a little nervous about going. Now I feel if i don't go I will always be wondering what if... So I am looking for advice on whether or not you think it is a good idea to go to a college in Florida, what it is like, and which college. I am a freshman in college and my high school ACT and GPA were not great, i had a 2.7 and a 20. I have been looking into Keiser University in Fort Lauderdale and am wondering if it is a good school and maybe some info. about the school like, do they have organizations to join, how is it ranked, is their on campus housing, what would i be looking at paying if i leave off campus, and did you enjoy your experience there and why. Thank you so much, if you have any more questions just post them.

p.s. I am looking for a school that is reasonably priced for out-of-state residents and one that has a good reputation. I am a nursing major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 02:14 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times
On one nursing message board that I googled, people were saying it was $40k to get your degree (!!!!). I had heard Keiser was expensive but I didn't know it was that high. There was a debate as to whether or not the cost was worth it.

A few chimed in and felt it was because they were on such a long waiting list for other schools, or had gotten rejected. So for them, it made sense. Others felt that the quality of education and cost was better at the public colleges, and if you could get in, that was the way to go.

Gee, if it's that much money then look at UM in Coral Gables. I commuted from Fort Lauderdale and was very pleased with my education (business). Good luck.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:12 PM

194 posts, read 246,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgc View Post
I am an 18 yr old student currently attending Saginaw Valley State University in Michigan.

p.s. I am looking for a school that is reasonably priced for out-of-state residents and one that has a good reputation. I am a nursing major.
I was an SVSU student too. Honestly, what I would tell you to do is, go to Delta for a while and take general education and nursing re-requisite classes that will transfer to a college in FL that you want. That way, you get cheap credits with the in-state tuition, and you won't have to pay for so many out-of-state credits later on. Plus, you'll have another chance at a higher GPA for when you apply in Florida. Your Delta transcript will be important and your high school one won't be as much.

I've transferred to Delta from SVSU. I actually want transfer to a Florida university someday too, but after I get an associate degree at Delta to save money. If you have any questions about SVSU or Delta, feel free to direct message me. I went to SVSU for 2 years.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgc View Post
I am an 18 yr old student currently attending Saginaw Valley State University in Michigan. I was really interested in going to a Florida University but I was always a little nervous about going. Now I feel if i don't go I will always be wondering what if... So I am looking for advice on whether or not you think it is a good idea to go to a college in Florida, what it is like, and which college. I am a freshman in college and my high school ACT and GPA were not great, i had a 2.7 and a 20. I have been looking into Keiser University in Fort Lauderdale and am wondering if it is a good school and maybe some info. about the school like, do they have organizations to join, how is it ranked, is their on campus housing, what would i be looking at paying if i leave off campus, and did you enjoy your experience there and why. Thank you so much, if you have any more questions just post them.

Have you considered getting an LPN or Associates Degree and working toward a BSN? Then, after 2 years, if you still want to earn your Bachelor degree, you can take a bridge program without starting all over again. There are also other bridge programs. For example, I know someone who had an Associate Degree, worked as a Respiratory Therapist (and made an excellent salary) for a few years in a hospital, and then earned a Bachelor Degree.

I'm not in the medical field, but it's just an idea I figured I'd pass along. Good luck with your career!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:13 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
My niece came down here for college and was never able to establish residency for tuition purposes at the state colleges.
(Even though FAU told us it would take one year... it was a complete nightmare.. long story.)

Why not complete college up there and then move here?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:00 AM

194 posts, read 246,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
My niece came down here for college and was never able to establish residency for tuition purposes at the state colleges.
(Even though FAU told us it would take one year... it was a complete nightmare.. long story.)

Why not complete college up there and then move here?
Living in Michigan is awful. Just.... just trust me. I'm trying to get out of here asap too.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 AM

50 posts, read 85,884 times
You want to move to an area with one of the highest costs of living so you can pay to go to a for-profit college with a terrible reputation?

If you really want to move to Florida, find a State College with a nursing program in an area that is more affordable.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:59 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
OK. Take my advice. I was an admissions officer at two FL universities.

1. Don't go to Keiser. That's not a real school. There's no clubs, organizations, campus life, etc. It's a for-profit school and many organizations that hire don't hire people with degrees from for-profit schools. Same goes for Phoenix, DeVry, etc etc.

2. It's gonna be hard to be considered a "transfer student" if u have less than 60 credits. Typically, at most state public universities one must have 60+ college credits in order to transfer. However, you can still apply as a freshman and have your credits that u do have come with you. Keep in mind if u transfer with less than 60 credits schools...they will look at your high school information for admission purposes. That 2.7 and 20 isn't the worst scores I've ever seen, but that's not going to get you into the better schools. Florida Gulf Coast university may take you. Possibly University of Tampa and Stetson University as well.

3. You will be considered at "out-of-state" student if you decide to attend school down here. Prices are like three times the rate that in-state students get, so be prepared for that.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
If you want to go to school down here, move down, establish residency, and work for a year saving money.

Out of state tuition is insane.

After you establish residency then you can apply. A 2.7 GPA is going to hurt you and make it hard to get in.

I would take my first two years at a community college and get the GPA up.

Wizrap, UM is a PRIVATE institution. Out of state will be stupid expensive.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:40 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times
I graduated from UM and didn't remember a different fee being charged for in-state versus out-of-state students. I just went to the website and there is no mention of out if state fees.

Yes, like Keiser, UM is a private school and would cost more, although Keiser is for profit and UM is not. My suggestion to the OP to look at UM was that if they were going to pay $45k for college, why not consider one with a national reputation like UM.

I don't know if the OP has considered the cost--the one message board I googled showed 2010 costs for nursing school to be $45k at Keiser. Just did a quick search for UM and it's also the same. So is $45k a year for tuition "stupid expensive?" If so, then not only UM fits the definition, but so does the OP's choice of Keiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area