Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 09:55 AM

134 posts, read 176,657 times

Advertisements

Moving to Broward in July and I am starting to look for teaching jobs. I'm a certified teacher in Reading and ESL, but I am also planning on taking the test to get certified in Elementary. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to get a job in this area?

What is the work climate like? I am currently working for a district that pays lousy, demands an extreme amount of work on one's own time, and acts like they are doing you a favor for hiring you. I've worked in several different states and districts and have never come across such a nasty work climate as I have at my current school, so I'd like to avoid it if I can.

I know the pay isn't great, but my personal circumstances are changing, so I don't have to make as much as I do now. What about benefits? Are they any good?

With my living location, I would also be able to commute to some schools in Palm Beach County, so if anyone knows anything about those, I'll take all the info I can get!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 05:08 PM

66 posts, read 169,841 times
Broward will be hiring a lot of teachers this year. So many people are retiring or leaving for various reasons. Besides the low pay I have enjoyed the two schools I have worked in. I have worked in Pembroke Pines and Cooper City. Good Luck!

Last edited by ruhighlander; 03-06-2016 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Add info.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 AM

191 posts, read 317,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post

... I am currently working for a district that pays lousy, demands an extreme amount of work on one's own time, and acts like they are doing you a favor for hiring you. I've worked in several different states and districts and have never come across such a nasty work climate as I have at my current school, so I'd like to avoid it if I can.
Sounds like you already work down here...

Seriously though, there is a looming teacher shortage in this area. My wife is an administrator in Miami-Dade, and it is taking weeks to fill an open position. She's in one of the "most desirable" schools in the county, so I'd hate to see how hard it is at others.

I could go on all day about why the desire to get into teaching is in great decline, but I'm sure you know the factors.

As for benefits - the salary isn't high compared to the cost of living. The way that the contracts are structured gives little salary advancement for 15-18 years. The insurance isn't bad for what is available insurance-wise these days. It is at no cost for you. However if you want family or dependent coverage it is pretty pricey. Also, unless it's been changed (pretty sure it hasn't) there is a 2% mandatory retirement contribution to the Florida pension fund. It's not a huge cost for the benefit it provides, but you do have to factor the expense when calculating expected take home pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area