Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:09 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Do you know what "median" means?

I mean, the median income in Long Island is $10k/year LOWER and yet the median house price is $100,000/year HIGHER..... I would ask how you can afford to live in NY....

The people who live in $1M homes make a lot more than $99k/year.
Sorry have to say this. I live on LI. Do you know someone that lives "in" LI. Please just giggle.

But anyhow I think because most of the people buying these houses came here with money from places like Venezuela. So either they paid cash outright. Or have small mortgage. And there are parts of Weston where prices are much lower & incomes are much lower. We bought our house in the section where homes were cheaper. And we did for a reason. We did not want to be "house poor". We wanted to do lots of traveling. Entertainment. Restaurants. And more with our money. Yes. We could have gotten a much more expensive home. But we did not by choice.

But not all homes in Weston are $1M plus. Just like here on LI where you live now. The prices vary greatly. You can get a $2M house right up the block from where we are now. Then my my next door neighbors home can sell for about $1.5 million. The other next door neighbor on the other side probably would get maybe about $600,000. As he has really not expanded or improved his house much that would cause property values to go up. We all know even the tiniest improvements on LI cause property taxes to go sky high. Then you can travel lets say...North of Sunrise & go close to the Southern State. Then you can find homes in that part of my town for like $400,000. Even a little less if you are willing to buy one of the small fixer uppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 04:19 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
I can afford to live in Long Island as I have two little crappy homes with no mortgage. One is rented and the rental income covers full costs of both properties so I actually pay zero for housing.

Florida jobs pay around 80K less per year from what I see at my level.

I also got a job offer around Virginia area for around 35k less.

Both jobs heavily advertise lower cost of living. But not true. It is a much better quality of life. I can live in a huge 4K square foot house with a pool in a gated community, drive to work and work less house. It seems great.

Just not cost effective. In NYC for lets say a Head of household with a stay at home spouse and 2-3 kids who is a professional with a grade degree, 200K-250K jobs are a dime a dozen. In florida they make you feel like you won lottery. And then what happens if you lost job? And Florida jobs are spread out, Boca, Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville. While NYC jobs are nearly all in Manhattan or within 10 miles of Manhattan.

I am doing it and hope it works out. But I am not selling either of my homes. Too risky. Florida real estate does not appreciate as much and if I lose job and want to come back to NY I wont be able to afford it.
I will say being an absentee Landlord & keeping a house on LI & renting it right now. Will be a disaster the way the rental market is here now....Unless you have someone you truly trust as tenants I can tell you from experience it will not end well. I know the LI rental market very well right now. The stories I can tell you would make your skin crawl for sure! You do not want to rent here trust me. Just spent the day working to help someone evict a tenant here. You will likely see this on News12 this weekend. And this is of the norm right now here with tenants.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:25 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Sorry have to say this. I live on LI. Do you know someone that lives "in" LI. Please just giggle.

But anyhow I think because most of the people buying these houses came here with money from places like Venezuela. So either they paid cash outright. Or have small mortgage. And there are parts of Weston where prices are much lower & incomes are much lower. We bought our house in the section where homes were cheaper. And we did for a reason. We did not want to be "house poor". We wanted to do lots of traveling. Entertainment. Restaurants. And more with our money. Yes. We could have gotten a much more expensive home. But we did not by choice.

But not all homes in Weston are $1M plus. Just like here on LI where you live now. The prices vary greatly. You can get a $2M house right up the block from where we are now. Then my my next door neighbors home can sell for about $1.5 million. The other next door neighbor on the other side probably would get maybe about $600,000. As he has really not expanded or improved his house much that would cause property values to go up. We all know even the tiniest improvements on LI cause property taxes to go sky high. Then you can travel lets say...North of Sunrise & go close to the Southern State. Then you can find homes in that part of my town for like $400,000. Even a little less if you are willing to buy one of the small fixer uppers.
No, it's because the median home price is well within the range for the median income price in Weston. LI is a different story and the numbers don't add up. I just find it funny because the comment was how can Weston people afford million dollar houses on $99k - which is odd that you would look at this number and avoid looking at the median home price.... Or does this person think median means EVERYONE makes exactly $99k? Lol, I don't know what to make of that comment, which is why I asked if he even knows what "median" means.

Most of Weston is way under $1M. Outside of Windmill, it's just mid/upper mid class housing that is very well affordable on $99k income. There is tons of housing in Weston under $400k - I think a good majority. Which is why someone making $99k can easily afford to live there....

Old 09-24-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I will say being an absentee Landlord & keeping a house on LI & renting it right now. Will be a disaster the way the rental market is here now....Unless you have someone you truly trust as tenants I can tell you from experience it will not end well. I know the LI rental market very well right now. The stories I can tell you would make your skin crawl for sure! You do not want to rent here trust me. Just spent the day working to help someone evict a tenant here. You will likely see this on News12 this weekend. And this is of the norm right now here with tenants.

Sounds like a lovely place.....

Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 PM

515 posts, read 623,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListItWithLani View Post
Not to mention Weston has some of the best PUBLIC schools in Broward county. This is a big plus. I am a school teacher in Miami-Dade and from what I have seen Public Schools in good neighborhoods typically have a better quality of instruction than private schools...and they are FREE!
Public schools in Miami-Dade with a better quality of instruction than private schools? The regular schools even in good neighborhoods do not come close to the best charter or private schools in education and student experience in Miami unless you are within a magnet or special program.

Not picking a fight, just making a clarification.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
What background do you have in education if any? Or wait let me guess, you are a politician who has never set foot in the classroom?
I appreciate your passion and perspective. No, I am not a politician yet I have years of experience within the school districts of South Florida. Directly working with teachers, administrators, sitting on SAC committees, etc... I also have two school aged children so I have experience as a parent as well. I agree that Weston has excellent public schools at the elementary level through high school. However, Miami-Dade is not the same.

Many of the best Miami-Dade public schools are overcrowded. Families either move into a preferred neighborhood or provide documentation to show that they live there. Public schools must then admit them. The rippling effects of this cause a myriad of problems that erode many levels of education and instruction. Secondly, students matriculating within their zones in Miami-Dade are led to lower rated middle schools and high schools.

Charter schools and private schools have the ability to cap their numbers at appropriate levels. They also have the latitude to base their educational foundation on a broad scope of curriculums from religious core to a three pillar classical approach.

If I were a teacher, I would agree that the benefits and security of teaching within a large county school system outweighs the financial benefits of working at a charter school or private school but that, unfortunately, does not transfer to the education of students within Miami-Dade County.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
What background do you have in education if any? Or wait let me guess, you are a politician who has never set foot in the classroom?

I have a taught privately for two years and in the public school system for seven years. I am currently working at a top performing public schools in Miami Dade county.

First of all let me explain and dispel a myth that many people believe. Paying 18k in tuition per year does not equate to a better quality education and instruction for students. What is does do however is weed out some of our less fortunate students whos parents can not afford to pay this type of tuition, and in turn does perhaps provide a "better sphere of influence for students". There are a few private schools in Broward and in Miami Dade that I will support due to their teacher training and teacher benefit programs. However the majority of private schools do not proficiently train their teachers or provide them with the tools needed to be successful in the classroom.

Now let me address the topic of charter schools. Let me make this clear to you in a way you understand. Charter schools are BUISNESSES. Charter schools are run by people who are very fluent in managing businesses with NO formal background in education. BUISINESS is not education. You can not possibly be successful educating or training teachers to successfully educate children when you have no background or experience in education.

Go back and read what I wrote VERY carefully. I DID NOT say ALL public schools provide great quality instruction. I said some public schools provide as good if not better instruction and education as a private school. You must do your research and due diligence before selecting the right one.

I have been fortunate enough to not only be a teacher but also foster a career in real estate. I have worked with many families over the years who deliberately choose their neighborhoods to select the right public school for their child. It is extremely important to select a public school with a good track record in student performance.

If you as a parent raise you child to be disciplined with a good work ethic and foster the importance of education and learning, your child will be successful ANYWHERE you send them! All to often I come across people who believe paying exorbitant amounts of money to send their child to elite private schools will somehow deter them from staying out of trouble and getting into a better university. unfortunately this is not always the case. People need to realize what they teach and train their children is far more important than the place you send them to school. You are their first teacher.
Private schools do not have the same bureaucratic requirements as public. And don't under-value the importance of keeping poor performing students out. It's not just a sphere of influence, it's the quality of the classroom. These kids are disruptive and make learning difficult. It changes the dynamic, drastically. Good private schools don't allow this, public schools seem to cave in and cater to it.

It's undeniable that the quality private schools churn out much more successful students than even the best public schools.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:25 AM

191 posts, read 317,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post

It's undeniable that the quality private schools churn out much more successful students than even the best public schools.
Yes, but that speaks to the quality of the students, not the quality of the education.

Students that attend upper level private schools tend to come from families where the parents attained higher levels of education. This is one of the greatest predictors of academic success in children.

When you couple the ability to limit enrollment to those who meet certain academic standards, with parents who have the resources to provide whatever academic support their kids need - well, of course you are going to have a high percentage of successful students.

It's not a knock on private schools. Some provide an excellent education. They fill a niche, and I certainly wouldn't criticize a parent who wanted to send their child to one.

At the same time, most of those student would also do well at a public school - because they are good students. Take the better performing students from a public school and they would perform well in a private school, again because they are good students.

I won't delve too far into charter schools, that's a whole other can of worms. There are some good ones, but man - when they go bad, they really go bad.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralanprod View Post
Yes, but that speaks to the quality of the students, not the quality of the education.

Students that attend upper level private schools tend to come from families where the parents attained higher levels of education. This is one of the greatest predictors of academic success in children.

When you couple the ability to limit enrollment to those who meet certain academic standards, with parents who have the resources to provide whatever academic support their kids need - well, of course you are going to have a high percentage of successful students.

It's not a knock on private schools. Some provide an excellent education. They fill a niche, and I certainly wouldn't criticize a parent who wanted to send their child to one.

At the same time, most of those student would also do well at a public school - because they are good students. Take the better performing students from a public school and they would perform well in a private school, again because they are good students.

I won't delve too far into charter schools, that's a whole other can of worms. There are some good ones, but man - when they go bad, they really go bad.

Isn't that what I just said?

Old 09-28-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Bottom line..... Your children will rise to the expectations you have for them! If you raise you child with discipline, the love of learning and foster the importance of education in your home.....they will succeed anywhere!
Said no parent ever with a child at an overwhelmed and underfunded public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area