Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM

148 posts, read 682,706 times

Advertisements

We want to move to LHP or Hillsboro beach area. What do forum members think about this for a long-term investment? We will probably buy next year, but found some places to rent. Can anyone tell me about specific areas, safety, insurance issues and places to avoid? It seems you have to drive through some bad areas to get to the neighborhoods in LHP and Hillsboro. School is not an issue (kids attend a faith-based school).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey514 View Post
We want to move to LHP or Hillsboro beach area. What do forum members think about this for a long-term investment? We will probably buy next year, but found some places to rent. Can anyone tell me about specific areas, safety, insurance issues and places to avoid? It seems you have to drive through some bad areas to get to the neighborhoods in LHP and Hillsboro. School is not an issue (kids attend a faith-based school).
Wow, thought we discussed this issue a few months ago, but I'll be happy to discuss it again. I live in LHP and it's the best neighborhood/town I've ever lived. What specific are in LHP are you looking at? The only places you should probably try not to buy around are the rental neighborhoods near the library and the entrance area of 39th Street, but we don't really have a what you'd call a "bad" neighborhood with drugs and gangs. We have our very own police and fire department. The speed limit for every street here is 25 MPH. I live along LHP drive so it's the busiest street in town, but it's not that bad. I do live in a corner house so my kids have access to the side street where it's quiet and I want to put up a basketball hoop on my yard and I can play basketball with the neighbor's kids and my son. It's that type of neighborhood where kids do play on the street and feel safe. The 3 major parks are McDonough, Dan Witt, and DeGroff. DeGroff is mainly a neighborhood park with only 2 parking spots. You usually have to walk or ride your bike there. I walk to or ride our bike to Dan Witt Park very often and it's a great place for kids and parents. If you're talking about the bad areas, you must be talking about the neighborhood west of Federal Highway? Well, that's why its good to have our own police department. They are always driving around and it does make it safer all around. I like it best that our city has people out and about all day jogging, walking, and biking. The city also has lots of events on a regular basis for its residents like a huge Holloween, X-Mas, and Founder's day events. I think your kids would love that. If you're buying next year, you're really lucky. Home prices are dropping and cities are losing residents, but LHP is one of the few cities where it grew. Sure we gained 8 residents, but we're not the type of place that levels land down and build new residents. Also, we have no gated communities here. I think I saw one of your post you mentioned that you lived in one and not too happy. That's what I can think of at the moment, but if you have more questions, please ask more.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Lhp

I grew up in LHP and think it was the best place to grow up here. All residential. Families knew each other. I now live in Boca and looked for a neighborhood that reminded me of LHP (minus the water, that is). I settled but I now live on a lake.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 PM

148 posts, read 682,706 times
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what is homeowners running you per month? Do you have flood/surge for your house?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey514 View Post
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what is homeowners running you per month? Do you have flood/surge for your house?
I have wind and flood for my house and wind was like $1700 and flood is like $500 or less per year. I use to live out west in Coconut Creek and it cost me the same honestly. I now live 1 block from a an intercoastal canal and I'm never worried about floods because our drainage system is pretty good and well maintained. I pay less than $2400 per year for insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area