Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 PM

18 posts, read 71,253 times

Advertisements

I read many other threads and have decided that I want to be away from water like the Everglades, lakes and canals in the general area in Weston.
I am looking for a 3 - 2, fairly new construction, min sq ft 1,600, home not in a gated community, double garage, at least one bedroom and bath downstairs in an attractive, safe, quiet neighborhood. Price range is about $200 to $275,000 and I am looking for a good financial buy. I looked at Cooper City, Weston, Miramar and Pembroke Pines but did not find what I wanted. I will commute to Pembroke Pines but that could be different later if I change jobs so I do not want to go too far out.
I have enjoyed the many comments about these cities. Thanks to all of you who have spent time in helping others. I am moving from Cape Coral and now, am close to water at 8 ft elevation. Most of the areas in the Fort Lauderdale area in which I have looked are about 6 - 7 on FEMA flood maps.
Any ideas on neighborhoods for me. Right now, I am looking at Davie...what do you think of this?
dmb1529 needs help please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,722,708 times
Single Family Home - 12850 SW 17Th Pl, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com

Just happened to be researching this price range yesterday. This is in a good neighborhood convenient to I595 right off of Flamingo.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,943,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post

Just happened to be researching this price range yesterday. This is in a good neighborhood convenient to I595 right off of Flamingo.
That particular neighborhood is VERY blue collar, but nothing wrong with it at all except for two things. One, those houses got TRASHED after Wilma. I'm talking MORE than the poverty-stricken mobile home park that is next door. I don't consider the mobile home park a "negative" as it's a peaceful one but it has the type of poverty that you don't usually encounter in this part of Florida. You might see wild pigs and numerous stray cats in that area. Just make sure you are OK with being next door to it. It's gritty, but shouldn't cause any problems. The other problem is that it's literally right next to the high school. Good if you have high school kids, bad if you don't want to listen to it all day.

While that house isn't bad, it's still a bit overpriced. Houses in that neighborhood should be in the LOW 200s and I have seen them that low.

As far as gated communities, I don't where people get the idea that everyone lives behind a gate here. Sans Weston, mostly very upscale communities are gated (starting in the 500+ range), and a couple of apartment complexes. I would say we have a slightly higher prevalance of gated communities than average, but it's no Palm Beach County.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,065,369 times
Quote:

Two things I immediately noticed. # 1...that house is WAAAYYY overpriced. I mean way overpriced ! Give it a couple of months at least and the price will drop if the sellers are smart.

#2...that is a wood frame house from the looks of it. STAY AWAY.

Good luck
N

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Two things I immediately noticed. # 1...that house is WAAAYYY overpriced. I mean way overpriced ! Give it a couple of months at least and the price will drop if the sellers are smart.
Exactly. There are nicer houses in that neighborhood in the low 200s, although that backyard view was nice...

Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Oh okay...I just thought it had a great location. I'm liking this as a HUGE deal in Plantation Acres, but I couldn't see backing up to I595 - the outside received a facelift in around 2004, and a half acre, plus pool, plus 3500 sf, plus across from park

Single Family Home - 11860 Tara Dr, Plantation, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com

Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,065,369 times
Quote:
Oh okay...I just thought it had a great location. I'm liking this as a HUGE deal in Plantation Acres, but I couldn't see backing up to I595 - the outside received a facelift in around 2004, and a half acre, plus pool, plus 3500 sf, plus across from park

Single Family Home - 11860 Tara Dr, Plantation, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com
nice home...but remember, that house will be 245K by May of next year....I can almost guarantee you that. If you are going to offer, remember to start LOW with your offer. For this particular house, I would offer 240K and see what happens. If they counter offer....you counter offer again. Remember, it is a BUYERS market and the ball is in your court. The sellers of this home....or at least the realtor....KNOWS that every month, the prices continue to decline.

Where are the pictures though ? It's amazing how many people do not understand how critically important it is to have pictures. When I start looking for homes, I always check VisualTour EVERY single person that is serious about listing their home should have their home on visualtour.com

take care

Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Oh, I'm not buying right now (although I'm starting to get interested - I'm guessing 9/08 as bottom unless there is a true depression and then everyone's out of luck). I just like to keep an eye on the market. We've been in over 6 homes in 18 years. And, I know this area very well as it's near the kids' school, so know this is asking far less than anything else in the neighborhood right now. Just posting it as a good deal for somebody because it's ahead of the market by a fairly wide margin.

And, I agree with you about pictures! But, those properties have a way of sliding down through the cracks in price, because we're not the only ones who feel that way!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
And, I know this area very well as it's near the kids' school, so know this is asking far less than anything else in the neighborhood right now. Just posting it as a good deal for somebody because it's ahead of the market by a fairly wide margin.
There are entry level similar sized properties across the street in SHENANDOAH now in the mid 200s, a comparatively upscale neighborhood (if you were referring to the Davie house). That neighborhood has multiple properties selling in the low 200s, check the Broward property appraiser website. I'm not sure what kind of condition the Plantation house was in, but if it's interior is anywhere near as neat and tidy as the exterior, it looks like a nice find and I agree.

Single Family Home - 13971 Oaklawn Pl, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com
Thanks to the lack of trees that house has a Miami-Dade look but everything else about that house is superior to the first house, including the neighborhood. AND it has a pool.

Here is another SHENANDOAH house with a pool in the mid 200s, and this one is nice!
Single Family Home - 804 Cumberland Te, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com

And if you don't mind living across from I-595, they have sparkling clean Weston-style townhomes like this in Poinciana Parc.
Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 14033 N Forest Oak Cr, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com

ANOTHER small but tidy lower end Shenandoah house for 244
Single Family Home - 13871 Langley Pl, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com

Those houses are also wood frame, but they didn't get nearly the damage that the neighborhood across the street got. And here are a few cheaper Honey Lake homes(the neighborhood you posted). This is where they should be priced RIGHT NOW for that neighborhood.

Single Family Home - 13400 SW 10Th Pl, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com
Single Family Home - 13531 SW 9Th Ct, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com
Single Family Home - 960 SW 133Rd Te, Davie, FL, 33325 - Realtor.com

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-22-2008 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM

The property in Plantation Acres behind American Heritage that I posted on Tara Drive, is a whole different animal from Shenandoah and other subdivisions. Many of them were selling for $700K+ only 2 years ago. These are luxury homes on half acre lots.

Btw, I think you posted some great ones out of Shenandoah for the OP! Not my cup of tea, but if you want an ungated subdivision for around $250K in a relatively safe neighborhood, there you go. The townhouse in Poinciana Park is nice though - and after a plant nursery, I'd love as little maintenance in the next property as possible, and no mortgage in this current climate is sounding good too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area