Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate it? Check all that apply.
Rude people 117 40.07%
Too many Hispanics (or insert group you don't like) 87 29.79%
No diversity 21 7.19%
Crime 88 30.14%
Bad schools 72 24.66%
No jobs 78 26.71%
Too crowded 86 29.45%
Nothing to do/boring/bland 43 14.73%
Terrible weather 56 19.18%
Traffic 85 29.11%
I could tolerate the typical metro area problems here if it was cheaper. 58 19.86%
I don't hate it here 104 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:25 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Yes, BUT don't forget to add state income tax into the mix in NC:
Tax Rate Range: Low - 6.0%; High - 8.00% (2007) (rate will be 7.75% for tax year 2008)

~$4,200 @ $60k
However, that's money I don't see in my paycheck. Also, I certainly don't make $60K. So I don't miss what I didn't have to begin with. But when it comes to the other stuff, I'm paying that out of whatever pitiful check I bring home. I see those amounts going out.

We've done our research and feel that it's the place to call home. And perhaps my husband's parents will actually come visit more often since it's within their 4 hour travel radius. My other half has been in Florida for almost 2 1/2 years and they've yet to visit us. Yet we're the ones that are scraping by and have made the trip to see them 3 times (soon to be 4 in February when we have to go to a wedding in VA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I think the idea is that you don't figure "I should be able to afford a property like x", regardless of the location, rather you figure out what you can afford to spend on your housing every month, then look for a property that wouldn't cost more than that. In different locations, that's going to be different kinds of properties.

If you can afford to pay $2500 per month (for your mortgage + taxes + insurance, etc.) then you look for something not more than $2500 per month. That's going to be a very different kind of property near Fort Lauderdale than near Port St. Lucie County, near New York City, near Des Moines, etc.

It seems like you're thinking that you should be able to afford, say, a three bedroom, two bathroom, two car garage home on a third acre (or whatever it might be) regardless of where you are. But that's not how it works.

Of course, it's an option if you can't afford what you'd like to move someplace where you can afford what you'd like, and that sounds like what you're doing. But it's not the case that you couldn't afford Florida. It's that you can't afford the house you'd like to have in Florida. (I can't either, really, as I'd like to have one of those 50 million dollar places in Palm Beach )
What we can afford in Florida is a studio apartment in ghettofabulous. And I refuse to have a family living there. Out of state, we have more options. We'd be paying the same in rent for a 3/2/2 house in Johnston County, NC (where we want to call home) as for a SMALL 2/2 apartment in Boca.

I have no desire for the high life. Just give me middle class. Just as an example here...one of the neighborhoods I like in West Boca (no HOA that I know of but am probably wrong, non-gated, homes built late 70s/early 80s) are still over 200K in most places. These homes aren't worth 200K; if they're priced under that due to foreclosure or whatever else, you still don't get a break on the taxes and are probably stuck doing a bunch of work to get it liveable.

If we're going to pay a ton of money for something, we'd at least want to be happy.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
However, that's money I don't see in my paycheck. Also, I certainly don't make $60K. So I don't miss what I didn't have to begin with. But when it comes to the other stuff, I'm paying that out of whatever pitiful check I bring home. I see those amounts going out.

We've done our research and feel that it's the place to call home. And perhaps my husband's parents will actually come visit more often since it's within their 4 hour travel radius. My other half has been in Florida for almost 2 1/2 years and they've yet to visit us. Yet we're the ones that are scraping by and have made the trip to see them 3 times (soon to be 4 in February when we have to go to a wedding in VA).
Your income is your income. If you bring home 7% less for the same pay, that's REAL dollars you can't use to pay your mortgage whether you see it or not.

Regardless, I truly hope you find happiness.
Good luck!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Yes, BUT don't forget to add state income tax into the mix in NC:
Tax Rate Range: Low - 6.0%; High - 8.00% (2007) (rate will be 7.75% for tax year 2008)

~$4,200 @ $60k
But you cant put a price on sanity! Am I right Desdemona??? Raleigh is leaps and bounds better than Boca Raton. You'll also probably make more money, have more friends, enjoy 4 seasons, and enjoy a better quality of life in Raleigh too. Get ready to speak lots of english up there in Raleigh! Are you ready? That is worth a lot more than a few grand.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:27 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
I don't think you're getting some of what you need. Maybe I should have a look at the books you're reading.
^^^^Tungsten

You're right. I'm not reading at all anymore because this computer b.s. is giving me complete ADD! AHHHHHHH! Plus, my memory is shot...so whatever I do read goes into short-term storage and is lost before it gets to long-term storage!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Oh, and as for Ben Franklin, I put him in the same pile as Bill Gates - those who obtain their education through auto-didacted-ness...I thnk self-education can potentially be the best education.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
But you cant put a price on sanity! Am I right Desdemona??? Raleigh is leaps and bounds better than Boca Raton. You'll also probably make more money, have more friends, enjoy 4 seasons, and enjoy a better quality of life in Raleigh too. Get ready to speak lots of english up there in Raleigh! Are you ready? That is worth a lot more than a few grand.
Most definitely! If it were up to me, we'd have already been out of here. I keep telling my husband to lobby with the owner of his company to move the company to NC and tell them that the Triangle is great for their business (they make high speed surgical drills). The owner currently lives in Asheville, so it's not totally off the mark.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:14 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
Most definitely! If it were up to me, we'd have already been out of here. I keep telling my husband to lobby with the owner of his company to move the company to NC and tell them that the Triangle is great for their business (they make high speed surgical drills). The owner currently lives in Asheville, so it's not totally off the mark.

Excellent! I dont blame you! Raleigh is a great place to live and work. IMO, one of the best places to live in U.S.

Nice people, good jobs, good weather, low cost of living (relativley low), great schools, booming economy, not too far from beaches and mtns, etc... so much better quality of life than Boca Raton, Flaaahrrida.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't entirely disagree, but the unemployment rate is actually below the national average, 6.5% local versus 6.8% national.
Florida:
Quote:
Broward's jobless rate increased to 6.6 percent in November from 6.3 percent a month ago and 3.9 percent a year ago
Quote:
Florida's unemployment rose to 7.3 percent, or 680,000 residents out of work, the state workforce agency said Friday.
link

Nationally:
Quote:
Nonfarm payroll employment fell sharply (-533,000) in November, and the unemployment rate rose from 6.5 to 6.7 percent
link

Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Although in other news, Florida's employment rate was 92.7% in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area