Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate it? Check all that apply.
Rude people 117 40.07%
Too many Hispanics (or insert group you don't like) 87 29.79%
No diversity 21 7.19%
Crime 88 30.14%
Bad schools 72 24.66%
No jobs 78 26.71%
Too crowded 86 29.45%
Nothing to do/boring/bland 43 14.73%
Terrible weather 56 19.18%
Traffic 85 29.11%
I could tolerate the typical metro area problems here if it was cheaper. 58 19.86%
I don't hate it here 104 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I hear ya on that one. I dont know about killing myself over living there but I would do everything I can to get out of there

I agree , I do not like Hialeah at all .. way too "third world " for me .... but would I kill myself if I had to live there ... no I value my life too much . I think some posters here are in dire need of therapy .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,285 times
To be fair, there is the option to put in which ever group you don't like. It's in parentheses. I guess it's from the overwelming number of Hispanics living down here, that makes it a valid point to put in there in the first place (from what I understand). Just my two cents.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
If one is going to have a category labeled "Too Many Hispanics," can one then create another category for "Too Many Anglos," "Too Many Trailer Park People," etc.? It is glaringly insufficient to say "Please put other groups that one feels are too many in numbers under 'Too Many Hispanics.'"

Furthermore, I find it somewhat disconcerting that on a forum such as this with the diverse population in Florida and indeed in America that one is allowed, to begin with, to have such a classification. We are all entitled to personal feeligs about different religions, races, sexual orientations, etc. That is our personal right to feel what we wish within the confines of the law....but to so glaringly create a classification "Too Many Hispanics" leaves a sour taste, imho.
There isnt enough Anglos in Miami to warrant any complaint, LOL.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I agree , I do not like Hialeah at all .. way too "third world " for me .... but would I kill myself if I had to live there ... no I value my life too much . I think some posters here are in dire need of therapy .
If you are referring to my comment about Hialeah, just reply to my post, especially if you thought that I meant that literally!

It seems that so many of you can't take any form of criticism, when it comes to "paradise".

I lived in Hell-a-leah for almost 6 months and it was probably the worst experience of my life. It's not that the place is particularly dangerous...it's just the PEOPLE, many of whom have absolutely no respect.

I got sick of the endless loud music, non-stop partying (for no reason), getting stared at all the time, people screaming and shouting at one another and the incredibly reckless/absolutely retarded drivers (worst in Miami, with Kendall drivers coming a close 2nd).

Add to that, Hialeah is a wasteland with few parks.

So yeah....I'm justified in having such a negative opinion of the place.

By the same token, I'm sure a non-English speaking Cuban Hialeah resident would be just as miserable in say, Oklahoma or Arkansas.

I guess the one positive thing to come out of my Hialeah experience was that I learned what it's like to be a "minority", as in an unwelcome one! A 6'4 white guy isn't very welcome in Hialeah, that's for sure.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM

"I got sick of the endless loud music, non-stop partying (for no reason), getting stared at all the time, people screaming and shouting at one another and the incredibly reckless/absolutely retarded drivers (worst in Miami, with Kendall drivers coming a close 2nd)."

^^^ BCreass, it's pretty sad how such a large majority of folks in Miami act. Not all, but a lot. And you hate to stereotype or generalize, but it's really hard not to. Especially when you hear and see it time and time again.

I would say come on up to Central FL, but you wont find it that much better in many parts, especially a lot of Orlando. In 10-20 yrs, I wouldnt be suprised (especially at the rate of change we are seeing now) if it isnt just like Miami.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 PM

And back to the OP's poll... it is pretty clear after all this time that rude people DOMINATES the reason why people "hate it here." Nahhh... rude people? In S FL? NEVER! All 86 people are wrong!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
"I got sick of the endless loud music, non-stop partying (for no reason), getting stared at all the time, people screaming and shouting at one another and the incredibly reckless/absolutely retarded drivers (worst in Miami, with Kendall drivers coming a close 2nd)."

^^^ BCreass, it's pretty sad how such a large majority of folks in Miami act. Not all, but a lot. And you hate to stereotype or generalize, but it's really hard not to. Especially when you hear and see it time and time again.

I would say come on up to Central FL, but you wont find it that much better in many parts, especially a lot of Orlando. In 10-20 yrs, I wouldnt be suprised (especially at the rate of change we are seeing now) if it isnt just like Miami.
Nah, people who complain about South Florida are just whiners who need therapy...I mean, it's so great here, after all LOL.

Seriously though, you're right. Although I no longer live in Hell-a-leah, I live in a pretty nice part of South Miami, but still experience many of the same problems (just not quite as severe).

I find that it's not just flat out rudeness per se, but a complete lack of respect, manners and basic level consideration for others that is very prevalent here. You can tell by the way people conduct themselves, whether at a supermarket, behind the wheel or in their homes (blasting loud-a** music and partying).

Those are my biggest gripes and frankly, although nowhere is perfect, the "negatives" far outweigh the "positives" when it comes to living here.

If you like it here, I respect that and more power to you. Some people enjoy Miami and that's fine...but you either love this place, or hate it.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,285 times
This is for everyone, and not aimed at anyone in particular,

I have no problems with anyone loving or hating whatever place they live or lived in. It's everyone's right. I just like to hear intelligent, and well thought out reasons why they love or hate the area they are talking about. Some can exaggerate about things a bit, while not being accountable for their shortcomings. They will lay the blame on everything else, but themselves and the environment they create (be it their hell or heaven). No place is 100% heaven either. We'd all live there if that were the case.

I personally don't care for South Florida. I dont hate it, but there is no love for it either. I am not miserable, and don't blame Florida for everything that I dont like about it. If I leave, will I miss it? I'll be honest. There are things that I will miss, but will be able to live without. I wont miss Florida per se, more so the people that I've met and established friendships with during my stay here. Plus it's not far from where I plan on moving to, which is a good thing. It's not a long drive imho.

1) Heat was here for eons before I got here, so making it sound like hell is not kosher. It's annoying in the summer, but I dont complain in the winter. . Good thing for A/C systems in homes and pools all over the place. I dont care for the beach. I'm a pool person, so I wont miss it. Plus there are nicer beaches in the Caribbean if you ask me. Skip and a hop away.

2) Traffic, Every big city has it, nothing new. Too bad public transportation sucks down here, but I dont expect it to improve. I dont think most will use it even if it is implemented. Unless they can connect suburbs together via light rail, and gas price hits $6-$7/gallon. People are so used to driving here that it would be hard for them to break the habit.

3. The layout was poorly mapped. That's my opinion. No metropolis, no center of action like (London, Tokyo, Paris, NYC, Chicago). You think with Sprawl, it would help alleviate traffic because people are not clustered in one section. It actually made it worse in my opinion. I guess I'm used to having a center that has it all (like NYC, Chicago, Atlanta etc).

4. I dont like the topography (flat land, beach one side, swamps another), but the good thing is that there are places in the US, that have different topographies and I can move there if I want to. That's the beauty of this country, Variety. Take advantage of it, people.

5. While everyone in South Florida is not rude, we have to admit people here are rude as hell. There are exceptions to all rules, but most people are spot on when it comes to that.

It has its pros and cons, just like every other place on Earth. The fact that I dont like it does not mean I should stop every man and woman from coming. It may be their oasis, it may not. But life is too short for them not to try it, if they reasonably can and want to do it. I say...what do you have to lose? Give it a try if you know you have all your cards aligned, and can do it.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM

"I find that it's not just flat out rudeness per se, but a complete lack of respect, manners and basic level consideration for others that is very prevalent here. You can tell by the way people conduct themselves, whether at a supermarket, behind the wheel or in their homes (blasting loud-a** music and partying)."

Bcreass, you just described everything I see in Orlando. The lack of class, manners, whatever you wanna call it, even the adults. Especially when driving.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 PM

"5. While everyone in South Florida is not rude, we have to admit people here are rude as hell. There are exceptions to all rules, but most people are spot on when it comes to that."

I have said this time and time again, but some folks either dont see it, or perhaps just deny it, I'm not sure. Maybe they see it as normal behavior b/c of where they came from originally, I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area