Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I'm glad they're gone. I didn't like them. They were loud, rude and messy.
I think most (not all) of the illegals around here are the same way. It shows an incredible amount of arrogance not to come here the right way if you HAVE money and the ability to get the papers.

Ugh...lets get back to the robbery before the thread gets locked...we are having good (albeit off topic) discussion but it could explode into something else. That's usually how it works on the Miami forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I think most (not all) of the illegals around here are the same way. It shows an incredible amount of arrogance not to come here the right way if you HAVE money and the ability to get the papers.

Ugh...lets get back to the robbery before the thread gets locked...we are having good (albeit off topic) discussion but it could explode into something else. That's usually how it works on the Miami forum...
It won't explode by my hand. I don't do hatefest threads.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
It won't explode by my hand. I don't do hatefest threads.
Well we already had someone try to indirectly blame the "illegals" (semi-PC word for Hispanic) on the robbery, even though the homeowner had a clearly non-Hispanic last name and if you check the books Hispanics don't proportionally commit a lot of crimes here (oddly you will actually see more whites than most places committing crimes here, check this years homicides which were predominantly domestic). I know YOU wouldn't turn it into that for sure. My friend works for BSO. Maybe I should talk to him about what happened. All I know is that I suspect a well off young (homeowner is 20) homeowner with some bad friends.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
I think you're right. The door was visibly broken open and he went in anyway and started chasing the burglar around? lol Nice touch for the burglar to wear a white dress shirt though...

Old 07-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Nice touch for the burglar to wear a white dress shirt though...
Hey, maybe that's his job! The burglar was a pro after all!

Really though, I think it was staged. Probably owed his "friend" some money and masked it as a robbery for payback.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,962 times
Quote:
I'm glad they're gone. I didn't like them. They were loud, rude and messy.
Exactly, that's my complaint too. So many of these foreigners are rude and loud and don't obey the codes here in Ft. Lauderdale. I'd have no problem with immigrants if they played by the rules and were clean and quiet, but most of them are not.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM

17 posts, read 41,631 times
Woah Country Isles, that's really close to my house. I live in North Lakes, luckily it's a gated community, but on the downside it's really close to SR-84.

It's weird seeing people from Weston on the interent lol maybe we should all meet up sometime.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,264 times
For those of us who are considering a potential move to Weston, would it be fair to say we should avoid buying homes that are close to I-75 or 595?

Which areas do you think are in decline?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM

I don't know what 75 even has to do with it. There isn't an exit anywhere near where this happened. What are they going to do, park on the shoulder, jump the fence and walk another mile off the road and cross Weston Rd in their burglar uniform? I already checked with the PD, turns out this wasn't even a "home invasion" but just our overly Sun-SATIONAL newspaper, no wonder people are so paranoid here. This was assault/burglary, where the homeowner probably knew the guy, they didn't steal anything, they got into a fight. If you don't want to take my word for it, the incident also popped up in the Miami Herald police report right here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward/weston/story/617250.html (broken link). Yes there have been property crimes in that neighborhood (and virtually every other neighborhood everywhere else in this country) but if you want to find me a neighborhood of single family homes with a lot of teenagers that doesn't have any property crimes, show it to me.

Quoted from the Herald
Quote:
Unwelcome guest: A 21-year-old man told deputies he found a man inside his home in the 1400 block of Garden Road when he arrived about 2:10 p.m. July 17. He said a struggle ensued, during which he said the burglar knocked him unconscious and left.
Oddly enough, the safest part of the area probably isn't even in Weston at all, but is a little dead center middle class, mostly 80s built middle class enclave of Sunrise called 84 South that is sandwiched between the highway interchange. VERY little crimes there. Believe it or not there are also a fair amount of burglaries in the "gated" Windmills and Weston Hills. I used to live there and now I live in Bonaventure and although my neighborhood is extremely quiet and we look out for each other, I think less probably went on over there than in most parts of Weston despite being so close to the highways. Bonaventure has the easiest highway access (via 84) but there aren't really any more crimes around here than anywhere else in Weston. There are sporadic car burglaries, home burglaries, domestic disputes, vandalism, kids get into a fight at the park, once a year robbery at a gas station, that kind of thing. I don't think anywhere in particular is really in "decline" as crimes are cyclic, so as of now it's hard to tell. It's like cockroaches- if you see one, there are ten more to come, and that's true for any neighborhood. Infestations are usually controlled in this area although I think BSO is a joke compared to the Sunrise PD I had.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-29-2008 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,036 times
When I think about crimes, I think there is a difference between stats and perceptions.

Here's an example. I used to live in one of the safest neighborhoods in Buffalo. Even though it's not gated, people rarely lock the doors, even the car doors at night. During the Christmas break with many relatives/friends visiting, a theft decides to take all the GPS navigation systems from the cars in the middle of night. People woke up to find their GPS gone and reported to the police. They only noticed when a neighbor had a broken window and walked around to ask for similar accidents. Obviously, it was shown on the local news that evening.

Even with the incident, nobody felt unsecured. People just started to lock the door. It's still a safe place. But the stats may show otherwise.

I feel pretty much the same in Weston. It looks to be a very safe place. But if a theft decides to attemp, it will be really easy to score. Gated or not, won't really matter. I think it's just gives you a piece of mind, which means a lot these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area