Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:01 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Thank you misterny - it was a bit condescending but - I'm not going to hold it against him - I personally did not like Orlando at all - I thought it was the slowest moving place on the planet - but that is just my opinion - everyone has a right to there opinion - I just think you have to be considerate of all others especially on a forum like this where you have no idea who the person is on the other side- but again that is just me - oh and it is chicharron - I love this yum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 03:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Thank you misterny - it was a bit condescending but - I'm not going to hold it against him - I personally did not like Orlando at all - I thought it was the slowest moving place on the planet - but that is just my opinion - everyone has a right to there opinion - I just think you have to be considerate of all others especially on a forum like this where you have no idea who the person is on the other side- but again that is just me - oh and it is chicharron - I love this yum
You did say you wanted a small town feel, right? Orlando may be it, lol. I'm just saying. Very true about what you said. People here think they can say just about anything because they hide behind a computer. I dare half of them to say it on the streets or at work, I bet you they wont. They're the ones who smile (fake one at that) the most for no reason, and laugh when there isn't a joke being said.

I dont think he meant wrong, but you are right. People need to think before they type. It's actually not a bad thing, since you're always in tune to what people really see and feel. I actually like to hear the truth behind people's feelings on these forums. It reminds you that we may think things are well and dandy at work and at the local store, but they're not.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:02 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
^^^^ Yeah, you don't see too many sarcastic winks in real life...haha

Old 02-14-2009, 04:10 PM

263 posts, read 574,775 times
"You did say you wanted a small town feel, right? Orlando may be it, lol."

Orlando does not have a small-town feel to it. People arent very courteous, friendly, etc... all the things that make a town have a "small town feel" Orlando doesnt have, and that's unfortunate b/c it used to be different.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
"You did say you wanted a small town feel, right? Orlando may be it, lol."

Orlando does not have a small-town feel to it. People arent very courteous, friendly, etc... all the things that make a town have a "small town feel" Orlando doesnt have, and that's unfortunate b/c it used to be different.

"Smaller town feel" than South Florida. Nicer people, better drivers...etc. It may not be what it was before to some, but still a better place than South Florida when looking for small town feel. It's no Mayberry, but it's no NYC or Miami either. It's all relative.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm not sure how to take this post as a very educated Puerto Rican. Secondly, Im surprised there are puerto ricans in miami. I didn't run into any when I was there last time. I do want to assure you that not all Puerto Ricans are ghetto Rock. We have a lot of really good qualities too, just as our South American counterparts do. My husband is Argentinean.
Chelsa1075 ... I did not mean to offend and yes I do know many professional Puerto Ricans who are wonderful people , but there is a ghetto and reggaeton culture in some of the younger working class Puerto Ricans which is very prevelant . .. I was there for a week last year on business and I saw enough shaved headed , plucked eyebrowed , regaetton listening teens to last a life time and was frankly very dissapointed with that aspect of Puerto Rico . As the economy is getting worse on the island many Puerto Ricans have moved to South Florida and Orlando ... some good some not so good . I have seen more and more Puerto Rican flags popping up on cars in parts of dade and broward ... look I guess my point is that there is a certain type of Puerto Rican that I like and a certain type that I do not care for .

Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with Chelsa. There are MANY Cubans as well who are highly educated, and came to Miami well before Castro emptied his prisons and sent them by boat to Miami, ruining the Cuban American reputation for everyone.
Exactly , there are MANY Cubans who are well educated and they came well before Castro emptied his prisons ... I find these second and third generation Cuban Americans to be very different from what has come here in the last 10 - 15 years under the Cuban Adjustment Act and Wet/Foot - Dry Foot thing .... again just my take .

Old 02-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Central FL is filled with Puerto Ricans. I mean filled. And I agree with you that not all Puerto Ricans are ghetto. We had a very nice family living across the street. They moved back to PR, but they were very sweet. They were however annoyed, disappointed, and quite shocked at how a large portion of the Puerto Ricans conduct themselves here in America, particularly the ones from NY.
I never said or hinted that ALL Puerto Rican are ghetto ... but what Pooring Footers states and very eloquently is what I awkwardly tried to convey .... I did not mean to offend and I apologize .

Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Hey, what's wrong with reggae??????? Marley, son or father, some of the best music ever recorded.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Rock - I think your problem is with Hispanic youths - I think it is a little presumtuous to assume that all those who play reggaeton are only puerto rican - I personally know many, many other Hispanic groups who listen to hip hop and such - I also know a lot of white/Asian/Indian kids who listen to it too - I think your problem/issue (can't think of a better word right now) is with the younger group - does that make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area