Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
MisterNY , ok you make a some good points and you seem like a sharp fair person and I have no problems with "normal " flag waving either ... I have a sticker of the Italian flag right next to my American flag sticker on the back of my jeep ... but many of the Puerto Ricans in Orlando and now South Florida have their cars plastered with the following :

Boricua 100% ( sticker )

"Mi Orgullo" with the PR Flag ( huge sticker )

Regular size PR Flag sticker

Puerto Rican flag on the rear view mirror

Puerto Rican cap hanging on the rear view mirror

Sorry but that is not pride , that is a complex and yes I feel offended when they are so "in your face" with their symbolism .. a simple PR flag bumper sticker is cool , all of the other stuff is just tacky and has nothing to do with pride as they would be back in PR if that were the case .

Not trying to be a jerk , I am just calling it as I see it . As we are talking about Weston .. I cannot speak for knowing too many intellectual people from the Caribbean although I know there are many . The most educated , intellectual foreigners I have met in Weston and more recently Parkland tend to be Colombians .. again that is just my experience and again we are talking Weston .

You have no argument from me..... My wife is getting a bit impatient with me spending time and laughing so much when I get on City-Data lately . You have Roflmao again.
You would be surprised at how many Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Professors are from the Caribbean. Most black Doctors I know and met down here are mostly Haitian or from some other Caribbean Island. I dont see that many African American Doctors here.

The big downside with South Florida, is, and I am saying this trying not to offend anyone, is that every other group (besides Hispanics) gets some sort of downplay when it comes to either achievement or recognition (even Anglos). Dont take it the wrong way guys, but I feel it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
You have no argument from me..... My wife is getting a bit impatient with me spending time and laughing so much when I get on City-Data lately . You have Roflmao again.
You would be surprised at how many Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Professors are from the Caribbean. Most black Doctors I know and met down here are mostly Haitian or from some other Caribbean Island. I dont see that many African American Doctors here.

The big downside with South Florida, is, and I am saying this trying not to offend anyone, is that every other group (besides Hispanics) gets some sort of downplay when it comes to either achievement or recognition (even Anglos). Dont take it the wrong way guys, but I feel it's true.
Well, look how many people in this forum are Latino. Its either Latinos doing chess pounding or Anglos saying how much they hate the "take over" of Latino culture down here. We need more moderate posters who see and recognize everyones accomplishments. I went to the Miami Museum of History yesterday and it was pretty cool. Learned about the early groups like the native americans. Then came the african americans and the bahamians who built the rail roads. The Anglos came like the Brickells, the Merricks (spelling) and the Flaglers and built up Miami a lot. Then the Jews (they built south beach up and north miami a lot) then the Christian Arabs (mostly lebanese).

Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
Miles,

Just to give you an idea of how enmeshed the cultures down here are, in particuarly the kids:

My Jewish son is taking a girl who is of half Palestinian/half Venezuelan descent to his Senior prom.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:04 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Miles,

Just to give you an idea of how enmeshed the cultures down here are, in particuarly the kids:

My Jewish son is taking a girl who is of half Palestinian/half Venezuelan descent to his Senior prom.
Good for your boy .... half Middle Easterner and half Venezuelan ..she must be an exotic cutie

Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

Most of the Jamaicans I know are well off professionals and I have a friend who is one the financial directors for Ryder Trucking and he is Haitian- American ... so yes your points are valid . I have the same issues with my wife as well .. she thinks I am acting like a teenager for being on this forum all the time !!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:52 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
Rock, she's gorgeous, as you guessed!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
[quote=Miles;7475091]
Quote:
Would you say that in Weston there's a lot of interaction among various races and ethnicities outside of the workplace? Do neighbors socialize with each other? Do their kids hang out together? Is there an underlying hostility that doesn't surface? Does it surface sometimes? Is there a disposition toward Hispanics there that's a spillover from the Miami situation?
Yes-people here socialize across races. My kids have many hispanic friends and kids of all races play sports together here. When the kids were smaller it was a bit difficult to make plans for the kids because sometimes the only bi-lingual person in the house was 5 years old. But we managed to get the kids together.

I don't notice any hostility and I don't know what "disposition toward Hispanics" means.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM

[quote=Momma_bear;7478819]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Yes-people here socialize across races. My kids have many hispanic friends and kids of all races play sports together here. When the kids were smaller it was a bit difficult to make plans for the kids because sometimes the only bi-lingual person in the house was 5 years old. But we managed to get the kids together.

I don't notice any hostility and I don't know what "disposition toward Hispanics" means.
Momma_bear ... very accurate post ... Weston was exactly as you describe when we lived there a few years ago . It is a fine place to live , although we enjoy Parkland very much there are many aspects of Weston that we miss .

Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Rock, she's gorgeous, as you guessed!
We had Venezuelan - Lebanese neighbors in Weston and the wife was a knockout so much so that my own wife used to agree that she was stunning . I was always "uncomfortable " around my Venezuelan neighbors wife !!! .... and my wife could never figure out why I would take the trash out four times a week .... LOL !!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
We had Venezuelan - Lebanese neighbors in Weston and the wife was a knockout so much so that my own wife used to agree that she was stunning . I was always "uncomfortable " around my Venezuelan neighbors wife !!! .... and my wife could never figure out why I would take the trash out four times a week .... LOL !!
Your wife should think how lucky she is to have a clean, pure hubby wanting to keep the home free of trash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area