Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,852 times

Advertisements

as in being family oriented, like going to church, raising kids with values and morals, would you be miserable in Broward County? I read some awful things about south Florida on this message board. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:18 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
as in being family oriented, like going to church, raising kids with values and morals, would you be miserable in Broward County? I read some awful things about south Florida on this message board. Thanks
There are parts of SF that are very family oriented. There are also plenty of folks who have good morals who never go to church. You have to be a little more specific about your concerns.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:25 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There are parts of SF that are very family oriented. There are also plenty of folks who have good morals who never go to church. You have to be a little more specific about your concerns.
Yes you are correct, and that is not what I meant to imply (about non-church goers having morals...sorry) I guess in the end I was wondering if there are good family areas of south Florida. Where you can live a suburban lifestyle with good schools, safe neighborhoods...that do not cost a half a million dollars to live in. Take a look at the Miami, this board, Palm Beach board it is full of people that basicially despise the area and say stay far away if you have kids.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
We moved here 9 years ago with 3 kids. They are currently 15, 13, 10 years old We are in Weston and we really like it here. You can buy a small single family home (1500 sf, 3BR/2BA) here for around $275K. If you want bigger it costs more. Other nice areas in Broward are Plantation (parts), Cooper City, Davie, Parkland, Pembroke Pines (west) and parts of Sunrise (west near Sawgrass Mills) and Coral Springs.

IMO the schools in Florida are not good even in the nice areas. Other people have different opinions. You really have to experience the schools to decide if they are good for your family. Weston and Parkland probably have the best overall schools but there are good schools in Davie, Cooper City, and Western Pembroke Pines also.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
You'll be fine in Weston, Coral Springs, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, Davie, Plantation, Sunrise, Margate, etc. It gets a lot tougher if you live further east. Nothing but sinners there, lol. And absolutely do not live in Miami!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
There are lots of churches, family oriented activities, church-going families, - it's what you make of it. I believe raising kids with values and morals are going to be challenging at best. I know a number of parents who live in Palm Beach County who have managed to keep their children out of trouble with the values and morals that we all cherish.

You will find whatever you are seeking in this area. Please don't let the negative remarks and other naysayers derail your plans.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
There are lots of churches, family oriented activities, church-going families, - it's what you make of it. I believe raising kids with values and morals are going to be challenging at best. I know a number of parents who live in Palm Beach County who have managed to keep their children out of trouble with the values and morals that we all cherish.

You will find whatever you are seeking in this area. Please don't let the negative remarks and other naysayers derail your plans.
Excellent post. Broward County is very diverse and anybody can fit in -- including those who favor a conservative lifestyle.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Its only a matter of time before Seminole Tom will be riding along South Beach with 20 inch rims on his car bumping some Trick Daddy on the way to the club and engaging in drugs, alcohol, and prostitution.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 06-19-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area