Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 AM

469 posts, read 1,329,157 times

Advertisements

Anyone else disgusted by this? They already are lacking in arts and PE. How much more can they possibly cut? Is it going to get to the point where all they do all day is drill for the FCAT? With the obesity epidemic does it make sense to cut PE? And research has proven that kids involved in arts do better acdemically-- but lets cut that out of the schools too?? How does this make any sense? I am fortunate enough to be able to provide music lessons and sports activities (although private school for 3 kids is NOT an option) but what about for kids whose only exposure to the arts is through public school? Wow- education administrators really got it screwed up as they collect their 6 figure salaries, the kids have to suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,379,090 times
I read the article, too. It is so unfortunate-no words.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
Anyone else disgusted by this? They already are lacking in arts and PE. How much more can they possibly cut? Is it going to get to the point where all they do all day is drill for the FCAT? With the obesity epidemic does it make sense to cut PE? And research has proven that kids involved in arts do better acdemically-- but lets cut that out of the schools too?? How does this make any sense? I am fortunate enough to be able to provide music lessons and sports activities (although private school for 3 kids is NOT an option) but what about for kids whose only exposure to the arts is through public school? Wow- education administrators really got it screwed up as they collect their 6 figure salaries, the kids have to suffer.
Budget cuts at Broward schools: Broward elementary school students could lose art, music, physical education and library time - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

I assume this is the article you are referencing. The article states that classroom teachers will include the arts in their lessons. As a music teacher I ask you, how many elementary school teachers can really do this? How much training in music do they really have? Teaching music is more than singing a holiday song with kids and sending them on their merry way.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Yeup that's the article and heard it on the news.

Yes-- Music teachers, PE teachers, and art teachers etc. have a different degree for a REASON-- they have more depth of knowledge in the field. They have expertise in the field and know how to implement it to children. it should be part of a well-rounded education, not something to just "blow off" with a christmas sing and color-by-number sheets. I personally want my kids to be able to know about: reading music, tell you the type of media used when they see a work of art in a music, follw a rhythm, work toward doing some chin-ups, feel their heart rate/pulse after a run, hear a piece of music and tell you what period it's from, etc... I will stop now since it's just wishful thinking BTW-- 1 "special" teacher for 4 schools?? That's like 1 gym teacher for 5,000+ students?? How does that even make sense? Maybe the school board members need to retake the FCAT!

Last edited by namomof3; 03-09-2010 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: added

Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,806,696 times
Its really sad because between budget cuts and FCAT the children are really getting the short end of the stick. The Board doesnt recognize the importance of physical activity and that anatomy, health and a variety of other issues can be taught in PE (it is in my son's 2nd grade class). They also wonder why children arent behaving, are restless and irritable - its because they are children but tied to a desk all day - and they fail to recognize the development of the artistic side of the brain is key to other intellectual development. Moving to the Midwest and seeing what public schools spend on each child - daily PE and 2 recesses per day; orchestra or band and chorus as mandatory at elementary school - makes me sad for those children who will be affected by this next proposed round of cuts.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 PM

yes- we just came from IL and I thought it was bad there. However-- the primary grades get to use manipulatives for math, they get recess daily- twice on friday, they get art and music 2x/week, they set PE goals in the beginning of the year and actually work toward them, every year the art portfolio is sent home with all their "work" Library was weekly and reading whatever THE CHILD wanted was encouraged, etc.etc. I will stop now before I regret my move. I am not trained in music but I will be working extrahardat home to make up for what the schools lack

Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,393,830 times
WE are in palm beach county and my daughter has all the specials library she has 1x a week but can take out books...I will tell nam we came from a very popular state and they have done away with most of what broward county is doing and their TESTS ARE ridiculous its not just the FCAT and or Florida...its unfortunate although I have a high schooler and cant say that we are having issues with the schools in that regard...our friends are up in NYC and they have been teaching to the test for years and years, as wel as my moms friend who retired teaching in NJ because of this reason...dont doubt your move, if need be let your child or children do after school activites on what they enjoy doing..whether it be music or something else...

Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,336,720 times
Sad to lose PE & art but what a priceless lesson in economics that no surplus of money, apparently, could have adequately funded.

So not only aren't we supposed to spend more than we have (debt) but we're also not supposed to spend even as much as we have (rainy day) because one day there might not be as much as there once was? Gee, who'd've thought ya haveta plan fa dat? Ain't edumakation a wonderful thang.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Yes swim..I am trying to look at the bright side of our relocation- and to be honest the school is more challenging as far as the reading and math (wayy ahead of IL in that). We are able to afford a nicer community out here than in IL and to be honest their are flaws in all the edu. systems not just broward county-- It's just frustrating that these "specials" are the first to go. No one EVER looks at cutting the administration- just keep taking away from the kids and teachers on the bottom. And it's not just here- it's everywhere I'm sure. Gotta take the good with the bad right???

Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,393,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
Yes swim..I am trying to look at the bright side of our relocation- and to be honest the school is more challenging as far as the reading and math (wayy ahead of IL in that). We are able to afford a nicer community out here than in IL and to be honest their are flaws in all the edu. systems not just broward county-- It's just frustrating that these "specials" are the first to go. No one EVER looks at cutting the administration- just keep taking away from the kids and teachers on the bottom. And it's not just here- it's everywhere I'm sure. Gotta take the good with the bad right???
Exactly Nam I agree

and good luck with your move...Stay Positive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area