Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:15 AM

681 posts, read 885,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post

Yes, but his / her target isn't us....it's those who the sticky is targeting.
Yes and no !

It is only fair to let readers know about vices of living in a place like Cape Coral. If I was in another forum, I would do the same.

While realtors, desperate home owners and house flippers are worried about having a discussion about statistics related to present economic misery in Cape Coral, a guy whom we hardly know, Gary King the city manager, is putting his hand on millions of dollars. This is our tax money and we all have right to know what they are doing with it.

“ But the after-the-fact notice that he had moved millions on his own put King in hot water Monday with Councilman Marty McClain.”

"The city manager is moving money without our knowledge," McClain said.”

“ "If I see this trend continuing, I will ask for your resignation," McClain said.”

Sept/28/2010
Cape shifts invested money | news-press.com | The News-Press

There are bigger fish to fry...don't worry too much about having a simple discussion on a forum! The fact that selling your houses have become difficult has a direct link with poor management of the city years after years and not my posts!!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
Wow.....a negative post from Yoko?? What a surprise !

Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 AM

616 posts, read 1,565,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Yes and no !

It is only fair to let readers know about vices of living in a place like Cape Coral. If I was in another forum, I would do the same.

While realtors, desperate home owners and house flippers are worried about having a discussion about statistics related to present economic misery in Cape Coral, a guy whom we hardly know, Gary King the city manager, is putting his hand on millions of dollars. This is our tax money and we all have right to know what they are doing with it.

“ But the after-the-fact notice that he had moved millions on his own put King in hot water Monday with Councilman Marty McClain.”

"The city manager is moving money without our knowledge," McClain said.”

“ "If I see this trend continuing, I will ask for your resignation," McClain said.”

Sept/28/2010
Cape shifts invested money | news-press.com | The News-Press

There are bigger fish to fry...don't worry too much about having a simple discussion on a forum! The fact that selling your houses have become difficult has a direct link with poor management of the city years after years and not my posts!!
From the same article:

"King hand-delivered the memo Friday to councilmen he found in their offices. He said he wanted to keep the memo from the press until councilmen had a chance to see it.

When important matters come up, the city manager can call councilmen on Friday, said Councilman Kevin McGrail. Councilmen will have until Monday to get back to King before the city manager issues a press release, McGrail said."

Funny that the move was supported by a vote of 7-1

Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post

From the same article:

"King hand-delivered the memo Friday to councilmen he found in their offices. He said he wanted to keep the memo from the press until councilmen had a chance to see it.

And you believe it ?

But the after-the-fact notice that he had moved millions on his own put King in hot water Monday with Councilman Marty McClain.”
“ "The city manager is moving money without our knowledge," McClain said.”

Last edited by yoko; 09-28-2010 at 11:42 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,321 times
Quote:
And you believe it ?

But the after-the-fact notice that he had moved millions on his own put King in hot water Monday with Councilman Marty McClain.”
“ "The city manager is moving money without our knowledge," McClain said.”
Do you believe everything in the article or only the negative?

How do you know that he didn't?

Is it in King's duties to inform every little detail to council? Did he even need to tell council to begin with?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post

Is it in King's duties to inform every little detail to council? Did he even need to tell council to begin with?

Yes!

To transfer $50 million without telling a sole about it was not the first time he is acting on his own.

Remember councilmen are his boss.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 AM

“The e-mails indicate King's selection was months in the making. But it was almost derailed the day before King was chosen, when Sullivan and Tom Leipold, president of the Cape Coral Republican Club, had a heated e-mail battle over whether King was right for the job. Leipold was pushing King for city manager.

Oct/19/2010
Cape Coral mayor's e-mails indicate doubt that King was right for manager | news-press.com | The News-Press

"special friends" connections is ruining Cape Coral,...its called "mismanagement" !!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 PM

"The City of Cape Coral is suing itself."
"We're suing the city because we feel there wasn't fair and equal treatment," said Mayor Sullivan.
" While the final cost of the lawsuit could cost taxpayers more! "

Oct/20/2010
Cape Coral lawsuit against city will cost taxpayers - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

And a settlement nears with the condition that nobody talks about what they get:
" You know this council will be voting in favor of settling the lawsuit for their friends " , a resident wrote.

Oct/21/2010
http://www.news-press.com/article/20...es-assessments

Last edited by yoko; 10-21-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,832 times
Quote:
"The City of Cape Coral is suing itself."
"We're suing the city because we feel there wasn't fair and equal treatment," said Mayor Sullivan.
" While the final cost of the lawsuit could cost taxpayers more! "

Oct/20/2010
Cape Coral lawsuit against city will cost taxpayers - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

And a settlement nears with the condition that nobody talks about what they get:
" You know this council will be voting in favor of settling the lawsuit for their friends " , a resident wrote.

Oct/21/2010
http://www.news-<br /> press.com/art...es-assessments

Of course there is a different side to this story........

Once upon a time mayor sullivan was just an ordinary citizens just like every one else. He disagreed with the Utility expansion project like a whole lot of other people. One of his biggest sticking points was that he felt the way the city assessed the hookup bills was unfair. The way the city figured assessments was per sq ft of building lot. What this means is someone that owns a triple lot that is typical 1/3 of an acre would pay about 10k more than someone that owned a double lot which is typically 1/4 acre. Even though they were both single family homes, one home was asssessed a lot more even though using the same benefit of utilities. Now I'm not sure about this next statement but a multi-family unit would be charged the same amount as the single family if the lot was the same size, so they were getting same benefit for less cost.

So instead of just complaining about it Sullivan (and others) sued the city as private citizens. The lawsuit has been ongoing for 4 yrs. Sullivan had other strong disagreements with how the city was being run, so again instead of just complaining he ran for mayor and was elected because the majority of people that voted liked his message. So far Sullivan has been doing everything he said he was going to do. Anyone who doesn't like what he is doing it is their fault. They either voted him in or didn't vote for someone else that shared their views.

Do I agree with Sullivan's stance on assessments? Not completely. I Think the assessments should have 2 seperate cost factors such as road frontage and buildable housing units and have exemptions for oversized lots (such as a 5 acre horse farm) that would pay for the cost of materials and labor (road frontage) and be assessed for how many actual vs potential housing units and be penalized heavily if they changed their current use. Do I think Sullivan should have dropped his lawsuit because he became mayor... No. He is suing for damages that have occured in the past before he was mayor. He can influence the way assessments are done in the future but he cannot be made whole personally (as well as the other plaintiffs) unless the lawsuit is settled.

Would I approve the settlement? Probably not. I think if he owned a larger lot and it cost more for the city to bring utilities to his property it should cost him more.... 10k more? probably not. but no one should be questioning his rights for standing up and taking action for what he believes in.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM

111 posts, read 287,399 times
News-Press (herein after called Mullet wrap)is tainted IMHO as I attended and or watched almost every City Council MTG and workshop since the RAG (Road Ahead Gang) took over.I was also on their 'E' mailing list of the so-called 'web of influence'. Taken out of context, you could believe what the Mullet wrap attempts to infer.

I could go on and on about how the local media isn't being fair and balanced but until one is fully informed, all of these posts are endless drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area