Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 PM

176 posts, read 439,668 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am a complete neophyte when it comes to boats or boating. So I was wondering what folks views are on Jet Drive boats vs typical Stern Driven boats. Especially for boating on the rivers and Gulf around Sanibel and Ft. Myers.

Also, what type of license or certification is required to operate a boat in Florida.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,346,162 times
One advantage would be that they require less draft because there is no propeller. That is a big bonus in shallow waters.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,878,810 times
Jet drives use a little more fuel than and i/o or outboard,but you don't have to worry about dinging a prop in shallow water......I've only owned one but I liked it a lot.......Not sure about licensing.I have a NH and a Fla boating license because it is required in NH and got my Fla license because the wording is almost identical in both states....only markers and ICW stuff is different.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Any issues with using these types of boats in salt water? What about getting sea weed or other matter caught in the intakes?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM

152 posts, read 357,614 times
I own a seadoo speedster 150. It is a jet drive. It requires really no draft. At full plane i would guess i have less than 12" in the water.

As for seaweed and other debris, I drive mine on the mississippi on the back water and have no issues. You need to watch that you are not driving over mat of seaweed. Also i would recomend storing out of water on a trailer or on a lift and flushing with fresh water after use.

Keeping in mind a jet drive boat will use the water pumped from the near the impellor to cool the motor, meaning you are using salt water to cool your engine while running. You want to flush the motor after use and also wash off the impellor and pump area, and ride plate to keep from corussion from starting. My boat was purchased used and was sitting in lake michigan for 1 boating season 4-5 month (fresh water). the bottom was stained and my ride plate has extreme growth on it. I could only imagine what salt water would do to it!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,592,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadman154 View Post

Keeping in mind a jet drive boat will use the water pumped from the near the impellor to cool the motor, meaning you are using salt water to cool your engine while running.
Don't all outboard motors use the water your running in to keep them cool? I'm pretty sure they do! As with all boats you have to flush out the system when your done for the day after running in salt water. The larger race type boats or those with inboard motors that have their own closed loop cooling system, they also use the salt water to run through their headers / exhaust system to keep them cool. So, they also have to be flushed to prevent corrosion.
Be careful of short boats, like the 14' and 16' jet boats. they will kill you when going thru small chop, big chop is impossible. Their basically for flat lakes. If your going to buy one, go rent one first to see what size is good for you.
I'm thinking you need a safe boating license only if your under 18 years old. Over that, all crazy people think they can pilot a boat. Give them a fishing pole and a cooler full of beer and that's all they need.

Last edited by tjstrain; 03-01-2011 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM

It would be nice if jet ski users would stay clear of fisherman trying to quietly fish.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 AM

515 posts, read 1,592,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
It would be nice if jet ski users would stay clear of fisherman trying to quietly fish.
wow riko, where did that come from ?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 AM

Well, we are talking about jet drive boats. Except for Seadoos I think all other jet drive boats are jet skis. There is an etiquette on the water among boaters and fisherman that many jet skiers don't understand.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 PM

I appreciate all the comments concerning this topic. Is there any place in Cape Coral to rent a Jet Boat? I'd definitely rent several types of boats before I make a purchase. Unfortunately, I do not own a home on a canel. So either I would have to trailer the boat or dry dock it. Probably would have to dry dock, since I don't have to room to trailer the boat at my home.

I've been looking at the Yamaha Jet Boats, 21' - 24' range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area