Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,340 times

Advertisements

Just move into a 12 month rental during which time I will looking for a home to purchase. I am overwhelmed at the number of gated communities which are nice, disney-like areas that seem to lack a personality.

Where would I find non gated areas (safe) north of Colonial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 28,984 times
There's an area which I'm pretty sure is N of Colonial, called Florimond Manor. It's zoned agricultural and has a nice feel. No gate, no HOA even. When hubby and I were looking for a house last year we really liked it, but it was a bit out of our price range. Homes were about 150K at that time but are probably a little lower now.
Good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 AM

6 posts, read 28,984 times
Actually looking at a map I see I am wrong. Florimond is actually just south of Colonial. Anyway you should also look into the neighborhoods off McGregor. I've had friends who lived in that area, it's nice and safe. There are lots of homes on streets like Moreno that are not in any subdivision. There are also deed-restricted (but not gated) subdivisions like Whiskey Creek.
I will warn you, homes in the McGregor area tend to be older and also you are close to the river, so expect to pay a bit more for insurance.
I totally agree with you on the Disney issue. I live in an area without a gate now and love it. No more stressing when friends come over - Do they have the gate code? What if it isn't working and they can't get in? etc etc

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Without more information about your price range and needs, it's very difficult to make suggestions. North of Colonial will most likely be N. Fort Myers. Punta Gorda is only about 20 minutes from Colonial/41. To get to Buckingham, which is a country setting, you travel north on I-75 and go east. Are you sure you mean "north of Colonial?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl1981 View Post
No more stressing when friends come over - Do they have the gate code? What if it isn't working and they can't get in? etc etc
That type of gate provides false security, especially if the codes aren't changed regularly. However, a manned gate with a security guard can be a plus, depending on the area in which you live. However, I completely understand why someone doesn't want to live in a cookie-cutter community with an HOA. It's a personal choice.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:14 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
I like the look of Danforth Lakes, off Palimino, for working local family oriented, non gated, beside Paseo. Maybe one or two exits too far south for the OP. No fuss simple clubhouse and pool. The whole operation screams "sensible".

We are so out of the way down at this end of town, the Paseo gate is likely a waste of money...though I like it none the less, especially being a part timer. The ladies like being able to go for a walk after dark without worries.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,340 times
To clarify...the area I'm interested in would be north of Colonial and east (or South) of the river. I suppose the eastern boundary would be Leheigh.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Best bet north of Colonial is like Floridagirl said, off of McGregor Boulevard. Tons of charm in that area. Prices can be fairly high, like she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area