Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,775 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I are thinking about moving to Fort Myers in a few months. Does anyone here have some information on Fort Myers. How are the schools,houses,jobs,people, weather year round etc. We are in our mid twenties with 2 kids. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,775 times
Bump

Does any one have any info about Fort Myers please ???????

Old 09-16-2006, 07:30 PM

34 posts, read 124,296 times
My family and I were considering moving to Ft. Myers until we came onto this forum. We discovered the homeowners insurance is outrageous. We would have been paying more for HO insurance per month than our mortgage. Right now i'm paying $500/yr here in NH. If you want to find out about schools go to greatschools.net there's lots of info on that site. Good luck

Old 09-19-2006, 08:39 PM

515 posts, read 1,591,086 times
I'm in Ft Myers, schools pretty much suck here. The kids start doing sex and drugs in elementry school here, but it's probably all public schools. There are police stationed in all of the public schools and they have erected 8' fences around most of the schools, look a little like prisons. Teachers don't seam to care about the kids, homework, whats that. In the private schools the rich little kids all drive benz's and BMW's so get ready to here your kids ask for one since all of their friends have them. Drugs are there also, big time.
Taxes are real high, auto and house insurance are also high. Right now it's a buyers market for homes. Ft Myers is one of tose real estate areas that was over run with interest only loans last year or so. Forclosures are running rampant now and for the next year. If you can find a deal on a house you'd be set. Areas to stay away from for real estate, Lehigh Acres, Cape Coral downtown Ft Myers. Right now the prices are slowly starting to come down. A lot of realtors are still trying to get last years prices, this year. Bargin with them, there are a gazillion homes on the market. Mold is a big problem in older homes here. I had paid an inspector to inspect a home that I had a contract on for my son and he basicly gave it a clean bill of health. I went in a few dayz later and found rot, soaked drywall and mold in the air ducts. Just be carefull. I can smell the mold in the homes as soon as I walk into it if the homeowners don't have some coverup pretty smelling stuff burning.
The area is way over populated during SEASON, when the snow birds come down for the winter. Thanksgiving to Easter usually. You can't get into a resturant, or drive safely without some old geaser either going really slow in the fast lane or stopping right in the middle of traffic to cross three lanes to go shopping. It does get REALLY, REALLY BAD HERE DURING SEASON!!!! Commutes to and from work take so long because of to much traffic and not enough roads. Their just now building roads that are all ready overcrowded. Seriously, look into northern Florida, we are. Maybe even Georgia. I'm only 20 minutes from the Gulf of Mexoco. Red Tide is another thing to search out. Ok, enough already. Gee, hope I didn't make you think a little.
For the snow birds who come down it's great. For the retail trade that depend on the snowbirds they'll say it's great.
Hurricanes are something to consider also. Insurance companies are dropping and/or switching homeowners carriers everyday.
There is plenty of crime here also. More so in the poorer areas like Lehigh Acres, Bonita Springs, Downtown Ft Myers, etc.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 PM

BUT, we have some fantastic SUNSETS, come on down.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 PM

There seem to be lots of jobs open, they just don't pay so well. Depending on what you field is. Construction laborers are a dime a dozen. Trades people don't get paid to well here. Contractors are alway going on to other building sites offering the workers a dollar more than their presently making if they'll come to work for them. If it wasn't for the Mexican work force, Florida would have no new housing.
No matter what price range the houses are, the quality remains tha same. Usually very poor. The same subs build both, cheap and high end.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,154,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
BUT, we have some fantastic SUNSETS, come on down.
those Gulf sunsets are worth every penny of high taxes and insurance. Maybe I should voluntarily offer to pay even higher rates to show my appreciation.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 09-19-2006 at 09:26 PM..

Old 09-20-2006, 09:11 AM

The only problem is that we can't get close to the beach before sundown 'cause the snowbirds got the place clogged up.
Seriously, everyone but the service and retail industry owners dreds when the "season" is upon us. We can't wait for "them" to go north.
Sorry if I offend anyone but I tell it like it is.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,364 times
Default fort myers info

Living down here is not all terrible. Although it is true that florida does not have the best reputation for schools, they are not the worst either. there are still many communities that are fun and somewhat affordable. Check out Gateway golf and country club (near the airport). This community has everything from small condos to million dollar homes. There is an optional country club. also it has schools, rec center, deli, dry cleaner, etc. They are building quite a bit near this area. This region is about 30 mins from the beach so it is still easy to enjoy beautiful sunsets and waterfront dining.
unfortunately the population can be quite old here, especially in the winter. This may or may not appeal to you. sometimes driving is frustrating during season as well. The weather here is gorgeous in the fall and winter but almost unbearable in the summer. hope this helps a bit.
enjoy

Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,372 times
Smile Mom2kidsNY

My family moved here from upstate NY in July of 2006. OK, it does get very hot here in the summer and the snow birds can be a pain in the butt. still it could be worse...like Denver. The school system is much different than the schools in NY state. If you want to put your child in a public school it is not like back home, done by districts. Instead you have to go to a place called school choice. Here they will tell you what school is available for your child to attend. School this year will end in May but the next school year will not start until after labor day. Do you know where you want to live? It is expensive here and the insurance is high but we still love it here. We went thru the 1st hurricane season and nothing really happened. This doesn't mean that we won't get one, but it is like back home. We know a storm is coming we just don't know how bad. I would be happy to help you if you would like a get you all the information you need for your children's education.
Many are starting now to request a school they would like to have their children in. I waited until July to find out about the schools here and it was a three day nightmare for me and it didn't help that school started August
8th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area