Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,282,813 times

Advertisements

Until one knows the areas its best to go with a gated community and stay west of the 75 and not go north of Bell Tower after dark. That being said, I have never heard of anyone actually getting into any sort of trouble simply by driving through an "uncomfortable" looking neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,178 times
Default coming to Paseo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
I would say my neighbourhood, Paseo, would suit you very well. The remarkable aesthetic of Paseo, and I am talking the multifamily townhouses, tends to attract cosmopolitan types, professionals and persons of higher education, of all persuasions, which sets a certain Northeastern tone.

one of the leading residents and real estate agents of Paseo, a friend of ours, would be able to give you the inside story from your perspective, as well as introduce you to their precocious French Bulldogs, of whom our rude spaniel disapproves.

I will be coming to Paseo for Jan. thru March 2014. Is there some way to connect with guys there?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,964 times
The street I lived on in Cape Coral for years had 2 homes owned by gay couples and 3 other homes owned by gay singles. Given a street gathering or street cookout everyone was always welcome, it was a long street, equal to about 2 and 1/2 blocks. Even my redneck best friend had to laugh, as we were cutting down a tree in my back yard shirtless, the boys next door brought out lawn chairs and cocktails and watched! Then offered ice cold beers to us when we were done. My friend learned a lot that day!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM

260 posts, read 562,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
Until one knows the areas its best to go with a gated community and stay west of the 75 and not go north of Bell Tower after dark. That being said, I have never heard of anyone actually getting into any sort of trouble simply by driving through an "uncomfortable" looking neighbourhood.
I'm pretty sure that all the gay bars in Fort Myers are north of the Bell Tower. Just sayin.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,645 times
Hello. My husband and I are a gay couple who have been together in San Francisco for eighteen years and legally married in CA since 2008. We're exploring retirement destinations and Ft Meyers is on our list. We found a condo complex called the Oasis online and it looks beautiful. Does anyone have thoughts on this complex and surrounding area as far as comfort level for a gay couple or other thoughts on the complex and River District as a place to live?
With thanks and kind regards

Old 09-25-2014, 08:06 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
In this day and age....who cares? Nice people are welcome anywhere.
We are straight as straight can be but all the gay frineds that we know are intelligent,accomplished,creative and fun.They are a hoot at parties.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:08 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcolarik View Post
Hello. My husband and I are a gay couple who have been together in San Francisco for eighteen years and legally married in CA since 2008. We're exploring retirement destinations and Ft Meyers is on our list. We found a condo complex called the Oasis online and it looks beautiful. Does anyone have thoughts on this complex and surrounding area as far as comfort level for a gay couple or other thoughts on the complex and River District as a place to live?
With thanks and kind regards
Just make sure about the law regarding driver's licenses so you don't end up like the couple who relocated to Texas.

Texas Denies Driver's License To Married Lesbian - On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment

Old 09-25-2014, 04:16 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
Just make sure about the law regarding driver's licenses so you don't end up like the couple who relocated to Texas.

Texas Denies Driver's License To Married Lesbian - On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment
My life-partner and I are not married and both retain our own names....and our pass ports and previous drivers licenses were in our individual names.

When I sign documents I frequently use a hyphenated version of our names.....but our legal names remain separate.

The above situation will be corrected in the not too distant future when the Supreme Court agrees with all the state and US district courts that have ruled discrimination is a violation of Constitutional Rights to equal protection. When marriage discrimination based on sexual orientation of the applicants is seen as equivalent to discrimination based on race. The right to marry is a right of all citizens.....secular marriage can not discriminate. Churches can do whatever they determine to be right, but it doesn't mean the state can deny citizens equal marriage rights.

All states need to accept and honor the marriages that another state grants and recognizes....the same as they do regarding other conditions. The hodge-podge of marriage laws becomes unworkable as seen in the above situation.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
I disagree. The 10th Amendment gives the states the power to make their own decisions on anything not spelled out in the Constitution as a power of the federal government. Gay marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution. The definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. If two gay people want to be together I think it should be as a civil union with all the same rights as marriage.
When the vast majority of a state vote to keep marriage between a man and a woman, and an unelected judge overturns those votes, then government by the consent of the people is destroyed.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:20 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I disagree. The 10th Amendment gives the states the power to make their own decisions on anything not spelled out in the Constitution as a power of the federal government. Gay marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution. The definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. If two gay people want to be together I think it should be as a civil union with all the same rights as marriage.
When the vast majority of a state vote to keep marriage between a man and a woman, and an unelected judge overturns those votes, then government by the consent of the people is destroyed.
Totally agree.....lots of gay friends and want to them to have any rights that married folks have......but marriage is between a man and a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area