Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM

11 posts, read 25,118 times

Advertisements

Looking for information about the Edgewood area of Fort Myers. Anything you can tell me about it would be great. I'm in the process of purchasing a home there and most probably will be moving in the next month or so.{depends how the inspection goes}

I live in St. Louis, MO currently, looking to escape the colder weather and begin a new chapter of life there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM

254 posts, read 433,522 times
Where is the Edgewood Area, exactly?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I think they are referring to the area just north of Palm Beach Road. If so, it is not a very good area, unfortunately.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think they are referring to the area just north of Palm Beach Road. If so, it is not a very good area, unfortunately.
Yes, thats the area. Whats so bad about it?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
ghetto. drugs. crime. what else do you need to know?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
ghetto. drugs. crime. what else do you need to know?
How about more than the broken record response such as this I read in almost every thread?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:01 AM

319 posts, read 612,018 times
Are you buying on Edgewood or are you in the Edgewood neighborhood, IE. Van Buren, Manning, E River?

Here is the deal with the above posts.

Old is Bad. Not everyone on the Forun has seen or lived in a Bad Area, St Louis has some areas that are bigger and badder than any of us have seen, this is just a factor of population.

If we are talking about the same area, the one displeasing thing would be the migrant worker stop at the Hess Station in the shopping center plaza.

That is the entrance to the area, then something magical happens when you cross the train tracks. People in the area look out for one another and they are quick to call PD if someone strolls into the area.

This is Old Town Ft Myers, 1950's ranch homes, close to the river. You will notice a lot of renovation on the river front homes.

If / When you settle in, make those connections with your neighbors, make some connections at Wilson Hardware, the owners there live nearby, eat breakfast at Route 80, have lunch at RedBones.

Now with all of that said, south of Palm Beach ( across the street) / Veronica Shoemaker toward Work Dr. This is all low income or old resident. There are areas here where you need to stay Alert.

For example: I had to put a young man on his butt when I caught him trying to open my truck door while I was doing some termite work on a new home at Fountain and Lincoln. Luckily I was finished, I am sure after I let him go he would have come back with a friend or two. This central area is Industrial mixed with residential. A lot of rental, low income, Migrant and HUD.

But this not the case in Edgewood.

I have been to St Louis, I am sure it has changed from 10 years ago but if I had to draw a comparison I would say Edgewood is similar to McCausland Ave or Florissant. The closer you get to the highway the sketchier the area can get.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
How about more than the broken record response such as this I read in almost every thread?

do you want the truth or do you want to act like some ass on tv trying to sell you swamp land? If you don't want the truth, don't ask the question.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
Are you buying on Edgewood or are you in the Edgewood neighborhood, IE. Van Buren, Manning, E River?

Now with all of that said, south of Palm Beach ( across the street) / Veronica Shoemaker toward Work Dr. This is all low income or old resident. There are areas here where you need to stay Alert.

I have been to St Louis, I am sure it has changed from 10 years ago but if I had to draw a comparison I would say Edgewood is similar to McCausland Ave or Florissant. The closer you get to the highway the sketchier the area can get.

I hope this helps.
It did help a lot, thanks!

The house is on Edgewood Ave SW of the Edgewood Academy. Thanks for all this info, that's what I was looking for, an explanation of the area. Not so sure I like the area now though, sounds a bit too rough for my liking. I don't currently live in the city of St. Louis, St. Charles rather on the other side of the river, but the comparison you gave Edgewood, similar to McCausland or Florissant doesn't sound good. I pretty much avoid those areas altogether when venturing into St. Louis.

Along with this info and other stuff I dug up, I don't think I'll be moving down there just yet, or at least to that neighborhood. Thankfully, I have a clause in my contract to back out if the Inspection reveals anything I don't agree with, as I'll probably do just that, even if its just a leaky faucet...lol

The job market is better in Fort Myers than it is in St. Louis right now, but I'd rather feel more safe than what sounds like I'd have to be constantly alert of where I am or doing. Doesn't seem like the mass community feeling spreads very far from Edgewood as you described. Where I am now, I feel safe anywhere I go in St. Charles

Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
do you want the truth or do you want to act like some ass on tv trying to sell you swamp land? If you don't want the truth, don't ask the question.
Well, your answer was stupid, cause I can say the same for St. Louis but its not like that in every county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area