Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
My personal take is that people who come from other areas normally visit when their hometown is gloomy. They get starry eyed from the pristine medians with the tropical foliage, and the mediterranean look of much of it. Then, there is the beach.

I think that the bloom wears off the rose within 10 years for most people who aren't born and raised there. Just my opinion.
This is really something.

LewLew, I am not singling you out. You are a very nice person. But less than a year ago you were talking about negative people and how there were negatives on all the boards, etc.

I kept saying that southwest Florida was like nothing I have experienced. That you would eventually see.

I bring this up because it is a good example of what happens to folks when they have to live day to day in that area, especially when you have children.

LewLew, I think I told you this before, but our daughter attended five weeks of Kindergarten in Lee County. We yanked her out and moved to Knoxville. That fast.

Godspeed to you and your family.

I wish that we didn't all have to learn the hard way. Really. Folks please take what we say to heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is really something.

LewLew, I am not singling you out. You are a very nice person. But less than a year ago you were talking about negative people and how there were negatives on all the boards, etc.

I kept saying that southwest Florida was like nothing I have experienced. That you would eventually see.

I bring this up because it is a good example of what happens to folks when they have to live day to day in that area, especially when you have children.

LewLew, I think I told you this before, but our daughter attended five weeks of Kindergarten in Lee County. We yanked her out and moved to Knoxville. That fast.

Godspeed to you and your family.

I wish that we didn't all have to learn the hard way. Really. Folks please take what we say to heart.
I still dislike most of the negative on here. I've been in FL for almost 7 years. There are some fantastic things here, but they all mainly pertain to the weather and the beach. I will still defend FL from the complete negative folks on the boards, but have come to appreciate (now that I'm a mom) what the state can't offer, and what is really important.

I think I remember you mentioning you didn't like Knoxville immediately. I also remember you saying that now you do. I think anywhere is going to have pluses and minuses. I'm glad you like where you are now.

FL is a facade b/c it is where people vacation, and they move here thinking it will be 365 days of the feeling they are used to when they come here. I will say, until my death, living in a place is NEVER like vacationing there. I will only move for the benefit of my child. First and foremost, I'll sacrifice to give him the best and most opportunities.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default So True!

Quote:
Depends on a lot of things

If you are thinking of moving here b/c there is a beach and warm weather year round, IMO you shouldn't move. Those things don't keep people happy in a place. They are just conveniences that eventually become part of your life....but shouldn't make your life. (if you catch my drift.)
This is so true. We lived in So. Fl for 12 yrs.--Miami Lakes & Weston, FL. Weston was especially beautiful and about 25 min. to the beach. But after a while we missed "being in America" and moved out of FL. Still miss the warm weather, though!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 21,763 times
Default virgin impression

YES!!! Ft. Myers is very cliquish. There are the Haves and the Have-nots. I have lived here 8 years (from Manhattan) and I am way past ready to leave. Unfortunately have a house to sell I have elementary age children so we get to meet alot of people at school, little league, etc. You will either forge great friendships or be left out entirely. There never seems to be a middle ground where people can just be NICE! Alot of snobs around here...and alot of me, me me attitude. Good luck with your job hunting.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 AM

106 posts, read 337,540 times
[

PS Naples is gorgeous - I love the posh restaurants - but there you are either rich and retired, or you have one of those servant type jobs working for the rich - neither of which fits my husband or me. My husband's family (his uncle and his grown kids) have those type of jobs - working at Marshall's or in construction or tiling or as a butcher so they are happy. My husband and I are in the "middle" service sector so Naples is not for us. But it truly is beautiful there. The services are marvelous - the parks and recreation, streets, restaurants, etc. I wish I were rich enough to buy a house there, or rent. Actually you can but you have to look. And it is NOT patchy there at all. The people all look "top shelf." hahahaha I did a lot of campaigning for Obama while staying with his uncle and got a chance to meet a lot of naples folks and I really liked the people there - even the rich ones were super nice and friendly - and nobody had a comb stuck in the back of their hair. (jk)[/quote]

That is why we just bought a new home in Naples.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuota View Post
[

PS Naples is gorgeous - I love the posh restaurants - but there you are either rich and retired, or you have one of those servant type jobs working for the rich - neither of which fits my husband or me. My husband's family (his uncle and his grown kids) have those type of jobs - working at Marshall's or in construction or tiling or as a butcher so they are happy. My husband and I are in the "middle" service sector so Naples is not for us. But it truly is beautiful there. The services are marvelous - the parks and recreation, streets, restaurants, etc. I wish I were rich enough to buy a house there, or rent. Actually you can but you have to look. And it is NOT patchy there at all. The people all look "top shelf." hahahaha I did a lot of campaigning for Obama while staying with his uncle and got a chance to meet a lot of naples folks and I really liked the people there - even the rich ones were super nice and friendly - and nobody had a comb stuck in the back of their hair. (jk)
That is why we just bought a new home in Naples.[/quote]
That's good. I'm glad you are happy there. I'm confused though..you say you wish you were rich enough to buy a home there, and at the end you say you just bought a new home in Naples. Whichever one you meant, glad you are happy there and enjoy all it has to offer.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:00 AM

106 posts, read 337,540 times
Quote:
That is why we just bought a new home in Naples.
That's good. I'm glad you are happy there. I'm confused though..you say you wish you were rich enough to buy a home there, and at the end you say you just bought a new home in Naples. Whichever one you meant, glad you are happy there and enjoy all it has to offer.[/quote]

Hey Lew,
If you look below my last statement you will see a quote mark, for some reason the full quote did not come up.... That was someone's quote text. Mine was the last sentence. Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 PM

35 posts, read 120,294 times
Okay, here is the scoop, I am a native from the South side of Chicago and Northwest Indiana. I have been in SWFL for six years. ANYONE from up north is a threat here, SWFL is very clickish, it is the true good old boy system. Many people, not all, that are from here feel that they have some false sense of entitlement. If you are well educated, and it sounds as you are being in IT, and from up north you are a threat, you are not alone. The difference is people that are from up north are raised in there careers with professionalism, this does not exist in Florida, try getting some work done on your home, or car. No one takes any pride, there are very few professional people that are native here, and if they are, they were trained somewhere else.
Neighboorhoods, no one knows what that is, everyone wants to be alone and cloistered behind there little fences, it is very patchy, and you have to truly look at the area. Finally, I am a white male married to a hispanic woman, I grew up with all types of people, and let me tell you it is not just Naples that you need to be a WASP to fit in, it is here in good ole Ft. Misery as well. I never thought racism was such an issue (my own naive view) until I moved to sleepy little Ft Myers. Just my two cents.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgcty1 View Post
Okay, here is the scoop, I am a native from the South side of Chicago and Northwest Indiana. I have been in SWFL for six years. ANYONE from up north is a threat here, SWFL is very clickish, it is the true good old boy system. Many people, not all, that are from here feel that they have some false sense of entitlement. If you are well educated, and it sounds as you are being in IT, and from up north you are a threat, you are not alone. The difference is people that are from up north are raised in there careers with professionalism, this does not exist in Florida, try getting some work done on your home, or car. No one takes any pride, there are very few professional people that are native here, and if they are, they were trained somewhere else.
Neighboorhoods, no one knows what that is, everyone wants to be alone and cloistered behind there little fences, it is very patchy, and you have to truly look at the area. Finally, I am a white male married to a hispanic woman, I grew up with all types of people, and let me tell you it is not just Naples that you need to be a WASP to fit in, it is here in good ole Ft. Misery as well. I never thought racism was such an issue (my own naive view) until I moved to sleepy little Ft Myers. Just my two cents.
On that note, you should look at the "Moving to Florida" thread regarding a black and white couple (from Chicago) thinking of moving down here.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,502 times
I've lived in Ft. Myers for 20 years. I'm American, but my parents are Hispanic. I've never had racial issues here. Yeah, the jobs and schools can be a bit cliquish but try to find a place that isn't... I used to commute all the way to Bonita, not beause of the cliques but because of the great pay. I worked for a Magazine distributor (lots of white, older CEO types) and they were all very nice and never made me feel like I was beneath them. I worked with the biggest Magazine publishers and distributors in the world. They have an IT department there and I think you would fit in nicely. It's called Source Interlink, maybe a move to the Bonita area would do you well, it's close to Naples. Look it up. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area