Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,779,238 times

Advertisements

Yep, lived in Fort Myers twice, liked it in S. FM down by Iona. But the ghetto on Metro was hell. I am happier in Estero than anywhere in SWFL. Fort Myers is pretty crappy with a VERY small amount of decent areas. The only reason to go there is to shop... Or if you work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 PM

19 posts, read 52,258 times
I hear some folks mention income levels. I've read 40k, 65k... and all were considered "middle-class" incomes on the various threads. This question mainly for the locals, and to get some sense of where I might fit in. Where in the scale of the areas does 130k fit into? I mean for each area eg. Fort Myers, Naples and others, what would 130k salary look like? Is it good. Average? Low? Thanks for your attention.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
I must disagree with you regarding gated communities. They offer a lot more than a false sense of safety. They usually are nicely landscaped, well kempt and have amenities too.
When I bought in a gated community they were clear to point out that it did not mean the neighborhood had a guarantee to be crime free, especially if a gate is unmanned.
I love my gated community. The plantings are lovely and well cared for, we have pathways thru that you can walk and bike without traffic and an awesome pool. My hoa fees are reasonable and worth every penny.
Care to share which community this might be. I am looking for such a place.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesxux View Post
I hear some folks mention income levels. I've read 40k, 65k... and all were considered "middle-class" incomes on the various threads. This question mainly for the locals, and to get some sense of where I might fit in. Where in the scale of the areas does 130k fit into? I mean for each area eg. Fort Myers, Naples and others, what would 130k salary look like? Is it good. Average? Low? Thanks for your attention.
A lot.

As a former resident that still has lots and lots of family in Lee County, I would consider it huge for that area, which has always been traditionally working class, even before the bust. A lot of the snowbirds are on a tight budget (or so they say, they may die with millions but they sure aren't spending it).

Now, in Naples, the income is significantly higher, but that is money that is not usually made in the county, but brought with them.

But these are demographics that can be pulled up on this website. Median income per household is $40,319 in Lee County and 48,289 in Collier County.

I assume you are bringing this income or already have been offered this position, correct?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
But these are demographics that can be pulled up on this website. Median income per household is $40,319 in Lee County and 48,289 in Collier County.
When they say "per household" it can include 2 or more wage earners and some people work 2 jobs. So the numbers don't necessarily indicate the quality of life. Also, there are so many retirees in Lee & Collier that I'm sure the average wage is considerably lower. Yes, I agree. $130k is a very high income for this area. I guess it also depends on what crowd you hang out with!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
A lot.
I assume you are bringing this income or already have been offered this position, correct?
I am a Walgreens pharmacist and would be transferring. Is there a distinction? The transfer location availability will be the determining factor in my decision on a neighborhood. I would like to be relatively close to the store. Does it matter whether it is brought or earned there?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesxux View Post
I am a Walgreens pharmacist and would be transferring. Is there a distinction? The transfer location availability will be the determining factor in my decision on a neighborhood. I would like to be relatively close to the store. Does it matter whether it is brought or earned there?
Of course how you earn your money is your business. There are Naples residents who earn millions per year. There are also wealthy people who live in cabins in the woods. Only you can decide on the lifestyle you want to lead.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
How funny! There is an unemployment rate of 14 percent in the area. That was the point I was trying to make. No distinction. Just have a job.

If you are gainfully employed, though, you can use this info to your advantage when buying a home.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:42 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times
I don't mean for this to be a loaded question or offense to anyone, but.... I am seeing a recurring trend here of people that are coming from other parts of the country and getting jobs, or getting transfered to the area/ relocated. Why aren't the locals getting these jobs?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,539,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I don't mean for this to be a loaded question or offense to anyone, but.... I am seeing a recurring trend here of people that are coming from other parts of the country and getting jobs, or getting transfered to the area/ relocated. Why aren't the locals getting these jobs?
Interesting question. We read many employment posts here, and I'd guess the answer is multi-faceted and complex. In the case of our friend apesxux, he stated he is a pharmacist. I'm thinking that with the senior population and the huge amount of pharmacies that seem to be on every corner in Florida, that any licensed Pharmacist would not have a difficult time landing a position there.

I have a few other thoughts, but I'm sure they would get misconstrued and become volatile. Perhaps a SMALL part of the answer may be on an individual level. Perhaps we only see a small part of the whole. There are some folks who may work very hard at relocating. That hard work also shows in their job hunting skills, etc. We may also be just hearing about the success stories and not hearing as much about the less successful situations.

For me, most here already know my situation. I've been blasted for it by some. I plan on taking my very good NY pension and moving to Florida within the next couple of years. I will have my pension to fall back on, but I see plenty of opportunity in Florida. I am even now aggressively going back to school, etc, to start my second career down in Florida. My business plan is in place, and I look forward to running my business down there. I've worked hard all my life, been wise with my finances, etc, and I have every confidence of my success in my new home.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling.......BACK TO TOPIC. Ft.Myers. I'll actually be down there for 6 days next month, so I can see first hand what all you folks continually squabble about.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area