Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 PM

812 posts, read 1,676,265 times

Advertisements

I was saying GGE as in I have no clue what GGE is.

The FMY area is closer to the ocean/gulf then Tennessee!!

Got verbal approval, going to have an inspector at the house tomorrow if I am lucky.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
I was saying GGE as in I have no clue what GGE is.

The FMY area is closer to the ocean/gulf then Tennessee!!

Got verbal approval, going to have an inspector at the house tomorrow if I am lucky.
You mean you bought in LEHIGH ACRES??????????

Holy crap.

Oh, and it is, once again, The Gulf of Mexico and not the ocean. I would rather die than go to Fort Myers Beach. Really.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Holy crap.

Oh, and it is, once again, The Gulf of Mexico and not the ocean. I would rather die than go to Fort Myers Beach. Really.
I have never died so I really can't compare the two but I did go to fort myers beach and my kids had a blast.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Holy crap.

Yeap, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

The bank claimed hey had $220K in the house.
It's assessed @ $155K and I'm buying it for under $80K not counting the closing costs. It's brand new, no looting damage, and in a decent neighborhood by LA standards.

Last time I checked Caribbean waters from the Atlantic flowed into the Gulf, so the distinction is lost on me, especially when you consider that there are places in the gulf that are over 3,000' deep. The gulf has almost everything the ocean does when it comes to marine life, so I understand there is a difference, but it's not something to be persnickety about. Then again I haven't lived on that side of the state YET in my 40 years, so maybe I'll figure out a reason to care about the difference after living there for a bit.

As far as the beaches go, I was at Bowman on the 5th, and had a very decent time. My son even caught a Jack, so he's 'hooked' on the idea of living there. I am not a beach person per say, I like the idea of using the money I saved on a boat and going out into the open water.

This is going to be very interesting.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Has your wife seen this house? You know how I am, Ted. I worry.

Guys, understand that I have this major love affair with the Atlantic. Lots of people love the Gulf but I felt it was like a very hot bathtub with no waves. Not my thing, but of course there are other people that don't feel that way. That's one of those subjective things so please don't take offense.

I haven't seen the Atlantic in years. I was all set to go to North Carolina on vacation and I got sick, so I'm bumming, but once I see it again I am sure I will cry. So that is where I am coming from.

But this Lehigh Acres, thing. That's different. I'm worried. Ted, it may only be $80,000 but what will be your resale? Did you even read the New York Times article? Please read it for me. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Yeap, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

The bank claimed hey had $220K in the house.
It's assessed @ $155K and I'm buying it for under $80K not counting the closing costs. It's brand new, no looting damage, and in a decent neighborhood by LA standards.

Last time I checked Caribbean waters from the Atlantic flowed into the Gulf, so the distinction is lost on me, especially when you consider that there are places in the gulf that are over 3,000' deep. The gulf has almost everything the ocean does when it comes to marine life, so I understand there is a difference, but it's not something to be persnickety about. Then again I haven't lived on that side of the state YET in my 40 years, so maybe I'll figure out a reason to care about the difference after living there for a bit.

As far as the beaches go, I was at Bowman on the 5th, and had a very decent time. My son even caught a Jack, so he's 'hooked' on the idea of living there. I am not a beach person per say, I like the idea of using the money I saved on a boat and going out into the open water.

This is going to be very interesting.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:33 PM

151 posts, read 714,145 times
Quote:
Ted, it may only be $80,000 but what will be your resale?
Perhaps Ted plans on doing what people used to do which is actually living in a house long term rather than quickly flipping it.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Perhaps Ted plans on doing what people used to do which is actually living in a house long term rather than quickly flipping it.
Oh, he doesn't want to flip it, but if he needs to make a quick exit, which very well could happen, he is going to be stuck in that house.

You see, there are places in Florida where hurricanes, tornadoes and alligators climbing through your window are the least of your worries. In fact, since you are so fond of sleeping with the window open, you will definitely want to avoid Lehigh.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 PM

151 posts, read 714,145 times
Quote:
Oh, he doesn't want to flip it, but if he needs to make a quick exit, which very well could happen, he is going to be stuck in that house.

You see, there are places in Florida where hurricanes, tornadoes and alligators climbing through your window are the least of your worries. In fact, since you are so fond of sleeping with the window open, you will definitely want to avoid Lehigh.
Not fond of it but wanted to have the option without worrying about it after seeing those residential gator pictures and everyones almost dirt level windows in FL. Better to save A/C anyway keeping them closed. By the way you skipped over the post about subdivision monotony so I guess that probably rules out Lehigh for me also.

Last edited by jpicard; 07-10-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Not fond of it but wanted to have the option without worrying about it after seeing those residential gator pictures and everyones almost dirt level windows in FL. Better to save A/C anyway keeping them closed. By the way you skipped over the post about subdivision monotony so I guess that probably rules out Lehigh for me also.
I'm with you when it comes to subdivision monotony. Lehigh always looked boring. It never quite got off the ground, even after all these decades. The problem is it may not be monotonous enough, if you know what I mean.

Would YOU kindly read The New York Times article? At least you seem to be cautious, taking in every angle. There are certain places that I would not move to, no matter what, even if you paid ME, and Lehigh Acres is at the top of the list.

Ted was warned to not move to the apartment complex that he went to. He did it anyway, and now he hates Knoxville. Well, no wonder. There are very few bad places in Knoxville but that is one of them.

Now he's picking on of the worst places in southwest Florida.

I have no idea why some people use the forum if they have all the answers, anyway.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 AM

Oh Hik, you do make speeches.

I (for the record) do NOT hate Knoxville. If it was near my family, Florida, and the beach, I'd live in this apartment for the rest of my days. The people up here are extremely nice, and I feel VERY VERY safe.

The wife has seen the new house(adores it), and we are bothered by the crime stats there, not to mention there is a convicted sex offender a couple blocks over.

The problem is statistically speaking, it's about the same as living in Orlando, or many other Florida cities. But the big deal is that it's as close to Miami without being there and considering the real estate bargain, it's a no brainer for moving back to Fl.

Nope, I do not plan on selling the house ANY time soon. I don't think I'll EVER be able to make a profit on it. That's not the point though. This is my home, this is where I will die of old age if I can help it.

I do have to say Hik is not wrong about many things, but sometimes her opinion influences the difference between what's wrong for her and a lot of people, and what's right for some.

Sure it took me a long time to get an IT job up here, but I did. Sure it didn't last, but it helped me to adapt and choose another career that I deeply love and will be able to use to get a job anywhere (LPN). I will always be thankful to this town for enabling me to take the time out of my life and get a better career. Moving up here for the reasons I wanted to didn't work out. The result however, is that I have made myself a much better person for coming here despite Hik's advice at the time I last asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area