Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

I agree with Hiknapster. Even in good economic times, the job market in Florida was terrible. I was only answering posts because, no matter what anyone says, some people will still come here for the sunshine. Maybe this article will have a little impact on your decision. I'm not sure what field your in, so it's difficult to say how/if this applies to you.

[URL="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/yourmoney/sfl-paycut-072409,0,5477660.story"]Pay rates in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach Shrinking -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com[/URL]

"For those in the market for a new job, it's next to impossible to find full-time work that pays what it paid a year or two ago."

"Local recruiters say salaries are down 10 percent to 50 percent.
"

Keep in mind that, even in good economic times, the average wage in Florida was much less than other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Six months can fly by and then what?

You don't move anywhere unless you have a job lined up.

With the exception of being retired or extremely wealthy.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:55 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Might want to read this thread from the Sarasota area forum:
WOW! The Job Market is WAY worse than I thought! //www.city-data.com/forum/saras...orse-than.html

Old 12-25-2009, 06:28 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
The OP is being told the same things over in the Tampa forum.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 AM

7 posts, read 18,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Apparently, she didn't believe me!

I'm from New England. I lived in Florida for almost 10 years. I left during the boom. I can't imagine moving down there now.

Anyway, one last time...

Don't move without a job.

CT's unemployment rate is 8.3 to Fort Myers' 13.7.

Yes, you'll move next year and maybe it will be better, but Fort Myers will always be behind CT when it comes to job opportunities and pay.

Good luck to you and best wishes.

Of course Ft Myers will always be behind CT in pay and jobs, but CT sucks, we cannot live there, we are not living life if we stay in CT, by the way today it's 15 degrees! and it's not only weather reasons why we are moving. Again, almost everything in Florida is cheaper, that is why the pay is lower in Florida. A house in CT goes for 400k while a comparable house in Florida is 200k, why would you need to make the same money as you do in CT? To add a little more for insurance rates??

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROXY525 View Post
Of course Ft Myers will always be behind CT in pay and jobs, but CT sucks, we cannot live there, we are not living life if we stay in CT, by the way today it's 15 degrees! and it's not only weather reasons why we are moving. Again, almost everything in Florida is cheaper, that is why the pay is lower in Florida. A house in CT goes for 400k while a comparable house in Florida is 200k, why would you need to make the same money as you do in CT? To add a little more for insurance rates??
Don't forget taxes, food and gas are also way less in SWF!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Please don't take these comments as harsh. I am trying to be constructive here.

"Almost everything in Florida is cheaper, that is why the pay is lower in Florida." This is a myth. Some things are cheaper, others more expensive, and much depends on your lifestyle choices. If you search around long enough you will find comparisons from folks who have actually done it and the conclusion is nearly always the same-the same standard of living costs the same in FL or the NE/MW. The lower COL=lower pay is the companion myth. Your pay will be lower, but the COL (even if lower) will be way out of proportion to your pay cut.

You sound desperate to get out of CT. I'm not trying to discourage you. Florida is a great place. Millions of people live here. The key is realistic expectations. Your post follows a very common theme we see here (especially in the winter):

Desperate to escape the cold, they figure Florida is warm so it must be utopia. They are cold and miserable so might as well be warm and miserable. They post here with the following requirements (this is an exaggeration, but not by much):
-Good jobs
-Good schools
-Low crime
-Low COL
-Low housing costs
-No hurricanes
-And last but not least...close to the beach!

They have no job skills, money, or family support. They are "open to anything", "hard workers", "need a fresh start", or "need to cleanse my soul".

They don't want to believe the responses that contradict their dream of Florida from people who actually live here. If they can only just get here, life will be puppies and rainbows. They pack up the car and move. They get here and the dream evaporates. The payscales don't match the COL. Jobs, even if you can find one, won't pay more than $10/hour. The school system standards are WAY lower than what they are used to. Life here is not like it is on the postcards. They are not going to the beach everyday.

I know you didn't post here asking about all those things. I typed that just as an example of unrealistic expectations. Don't fall into that trap.

The success stories here-and there ARE success stories-also follow a pattern. These people moved here with jobs lined up, are retired with a pension income, or are wealthy.

It all comes down to realistic expectations.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Please don't take these comments as harsh. I am trying to be constructive here.

"Almost everything in Florida is cheaper, that is why the pay is lower in Florida." This is a myth. Some things are cheaper, others more expensive, and much depends on your lifestyle choices. If you search around long enough you will find comparisons from folks who have actually done it and the conclusion is nearly always the same-the same standard of living costs the same in FL or the NE/MW. The lower COL=lower pay is the companion myth. Your pay will be lower, but the COL (even if lower) will be way out of proportion to your pay cut.

a very common theme we see here (especially in the winter):

Desperate to escape the cold, they figure Florida is warm so it must be utopia. They are cold and miserable so might as well be warm and miserable. They post here with the following requirements (this is an exaggeration, but not by much):
-Good jobs
-Good schools
-Low crime
-Low COL
-Low housing costs
-No hurricanes
-And last but not least...close to the beach!

They have no job skills, money, or family support. They are "open to anything", "hard workers", "need a fresh start", or "need to cleanse my soul".

They don't want to believe the responses that contradict their dream of Florida from people who actually live here. If they can only just get here, life will be puppies and rainbows. They pack up the car and move. They get here and the dream evaporates. The payscales don't match the COL. Jobs, even if you can find one, won't pay more than $10/hour. The school system standards are WAY lower than what they are used to. Life here is not like it is on the postcards. They are not going to the beach everyday.

I know you didn't post here asking about all those things. I typed that just as an example of unrealistic expectations. Don't fall into that trap.

The success stories here-and there ARE success stories-also follow a pattern. These people moved here with jobs lined up, are retired with a pension income, or are wealthy.

It all comes down to realistic expectations.
Great response, about sums it up!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Don't forget taxes, food and gas are also way less in SWF!
This is a fallacy, I can't vouch for food prices, but fact is kilowatts, gas prices and property taxes are less in many states north of Florida.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
should there be a sticky read-only posting that summarizes the discussion and conclusion?

it could be called "How to loose your shirt moving to SWF"

or "Moving to SWF FAQ"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area